• TiredThinker
    Could this forum have a word count? It seems like some people don't consider that less can be more. Maybe on a post by post basis the OP can set a min and max words for replies?
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Maybe on a post by post basis the OP can set a min and max words for replies?TiredThinker

I don't understand why you think this is a reasonable proposal. I see no burden on you it would relieve.
  • jgill
    It seems like some people don't consider that less can be moreTiredThinker

Yes, that's true. But you don't have to read it all. It's good that one can write at length without a referee stepping in and limiting your flow. But it might help if a lengthy piece had a short concise summary.
  • Paine
    I figure some thoughts take more words than others. As Horace said back in the day: "I wish to be brief, but I become obscure."

One can become prolix by exceeding what is needed or remaining obscure despite the trouble. Hard to find an algorithm to fix that.

I would prefer a 'last word' algorithm where the insistence upon only one interpretation after 20 posts automatically makes the discussion its own separate OP. The putative kings of the mountain would be excluded from the original discussion to permit alternative views to be presented without the sweaty Highlander vibe.
  • TiredThinker
    I know I don't need to read all replies, but I want to understand the points of view. And I expect some people may use speech to text apps and aren't putting in the full thought of actually considering every word that is written. And apparently a page here is decided by the number of replies. Not length of the page. It would be good to bookmark where I left off reading and know how long each page will run. I think brevity can be very important, and certainly the forum can decide the min and max of words. Perhaps the average worded reply can be the minimum and the maximum about double of that?
  • Jamal
    It's not going to happen, and I think it's a bad idea. I'm not going to bother saying why, partly because I think it's obvious, but also because there is no clear and serious argument here in its favour.
  • Srap Tasmaner

Perhaps you are trying to follow too many discussions at once.

And I’m still confused why you think the forum should require other members to write in a way more to your liking. Does that not strike you as a little self-centered?
  • L'éléphant
    Not that I care, but I'm going to try to be the devil's advocate here. Word count limit could potentially lead to concise, well thought-out posts because posters are forced to make do of what they're given. However, given that they could repeatedly post anyway, word count can't help.
  • Gnomon
    Could this forum have a word count? It seems like some people don't consider that less can be more. Maybe on a post by post basis the OP can set a min and max words for replies?TiredThinker
    The fix for a prolix post is automatic. Most readers will tune-out if they can't see where a post is going. Those most interested in the topic will hang-on longer. But treading water is more tiring when you can't see the shore. :smile:
  • MAYAEL
    t2 app im telling you it's a must have on here English accent read me everything on this forum
  • TiredThinker
    It seems many people act as their own devil's advocate and quote too many things they read and it really fills up the space. Personally prefer people to use their own words.
  • Wayfarer
    I constantly quote from other sources. This is to relate what I'm saying to what others say, and also to provide sources of information that other readers might find interesting and relevant. Many of the most idiosyncratic posters here are very much in their own space, thinking and speaking in ways that are unique to themselves and barely intelligible to anyone else.

On the OP, I think there's absolutely no need for word counts. I'm a professional writer and the articles I write have a strict word limit, so I have word count on whenever I'm writing, but this forum is a free-form media, and there's no need for such an observance. Many posts are far too short - 'I think that Kant was talking about the meaning of life, what do you think?' - or far too long, like someone's prefered theory of the meaning of life in 3,000 words. You can discern that at a glance, no need for word counts.
  • BC
    It really fills up the spaceTiredThinker

What does "space" even mean in digital terms?

You are tired, thinker. you are having bad ideas. Go to bed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.