• TiredThinker
    What is peace and calm? I assume that is a goal of meditation. But is it an active goal? Do we accomplish it, or is it there when we stop everything and find a way to shut out the pain or bodies give us?
  • James Riley
    The recent banning (and the pro-con arguments related thereto), got me to thinking about whether speaking another’s language, in order to communicate with them, would somehow be hypocritical.

I am attracted to the idea of peace. But I find the idea to be contrary to my nature. So, in typical philosopher fashion, and in an effort to justify my nature, and possibly find a work-around, I followed up on a phrase I heard “Peace is not the absence of conflict . . .” My search revealed different endings to that sentiment, but the most compelling, and easy to work with, for me (considering my intended goal), was that stated by Gandhi. Specifically, “Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.”

(Others, like Ronald Reagan, concluded “. . . the ability to deal with it peacefully.” That did not satisfy my end goal of justifying my innate response to certain situations that I deemed to be unjust.)

We all cope differently. Gandhi has his way, while others have theirs. Can others be calm and at peace inside, but violent on the outside? Can that be? Or is that inconsistent with "peace."

I considered the concept of “coping” and decided that one could not only remain calm in the turmoil of conflict, but one could actually participate in the conflict while remaining calm and at peace. The idea here is not one’s external conduct, but, rather, one’s inner sense, often found in the very confidence that would give opposing parties to a conflict the resolve to vigorously conflict.

In other words, while the field of conflict could be and almost always is occupied those who are not at peace, who are filled with hatred, vengeance, glee, or any of numerous different human emotions, spun up to overcome fear, and the innate internal desire for external peace; there could be others. There could be those who, calm inside, carry out their external conflict with a professional resolve such that, if two opposing parties of the same mind came together, they could not only remain peaceful on the inside, but they could discuss, peacefully, on the outside. Or they could combat vigorously and with resolve. Indeed, these people might be the most formidably on the field. In such a case, it would only be those who lacked peace on the inside who must be spoken to, and then spoken to in the language they understand. If they are intolerant, then we can be intolerant with them, but we do it with a peaceful, calm and confident resolve.

That is what I am thinking. But I don't necessarily believe everything I think, so I toss it out there under the stimulus of your question.
  • 180 Proof
    What is peace and calm?TiredThinker
    'A truce during which to reload' and 'taking aim', respectively ... or BOREDOM.

I don't necessarily believe everything I thinkJames Riley
    :up:
  • Tom Storm
    What is peace and calm? I assume that is a goal of meditation. But is it an active goal? Do we accomplish it, or is it there when we stop everything and find a way to shut out the pain or bodies give us?TiredThinker

I find I get a lot of peace and calm - for me it involves doing nothing in particular. You know it when you feel it. I like spending time alone. Apart from this forum, I don't use any social media. I watch very little TV and no news programs. I don't meditate, but I like to sit and listen to music (classical) and zone out. Now I am older I don't find it hard to empty my brain of most thoughts.
  • dimosthenis9

Being here and now. Living inside the moment! So simple but so damn difficult.
  • john27

Peace and calm is a state of mind that we use to describe stillness. I don't think we can necessarily perpetuate that same sentiment in the real world though. Too much movement.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    What is peace and calm? I assume that is a goal of meditation. But is it an active goal? Do we accomplish it, or is it there when we stop everything and find a way to shut out the pain or bodies give us?TiredThinker

Meditation has nothing to do with shutting out pain or in some way negating the physical body. It's a practice that will alter the shape of your brain waves. There's a science to it, plenty of research on the web, electrodes on monks' heads, etc.

It takes years of practice to get results. I've been meditating for 20 years. The results might be described as the potential to quickly enter a resting state bordering on sleep. A dreamlike state, difficult to describe. Though it borders on sleep, there's a sense of expanded consciousness: consciousness of the body, of the mind and of the world around you. Also, a more peaceful state in your day-to-day life.

But still plenty of pain.
  • Manuel
    It's a state you're in.

It is possible to be in peace and calm in a noisy environment. It's much harder to achieve, but doable.
  • TiredThinker

I hope peace and calm can be found without the need of better coping skills in life against stress, physical pain, or sadnesses. Life seems to offer more shit with time, and removes the means to counter. Aging is inflammatory. I prefer the idea of not requiring special skills to find it.
  • James Riley
    I hope peace and calm can be found without the need of better coping skills in life against stress, physical pain, or sadnesses. Life seems to offer more shit with time, and removes the means to counter. Aging is inflammatory. I prefer the idea of not requiring special skills to find it.TiredThinker

I understand your point. I just keep thinking of the old man in Kung Fu. :lol:

patience-young.gif
  • TiredThinker
    Master Po was awesome. I think he also kept mogwai. Lol. Are you arguing that he is blind but can still find peace? I mean more like body aches, slowing of the brain in an age related way, eye strain, headaches, and anything that throws the body and mind out of balance.
  • James Riley
    Are you arguing that he is blind but can still find peace?TiredThinker

Originally, I was thinking more about how these characters maintain a sense of inner peace and calm in the middle of a shit sandwich.

As to getting old, I know it is a handicap that gun skills can't always comp for. At some point we are dependent upon others for our safety. Indeed, even the baddest ass in his prime is more dependent upon society and the forbearance of force than he would like to admit. Everyone has to sleep.
  • Agent Smith
    Thank you for the question OP.

Peace & calm is to the real world (chaotic) as a flight simulator is to actually piloting a plane loaded wth people. I guess it's an artificial training environment (easy mode).
  • 180 Proof
    Aging is inflammatoryTiredThinker
    Everyone has to sleep.James Riley

:death: :flower:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.