• Mongrel
    Yes, but not just photos; it also contains various stolen belongings and discarded items: a family photo, a sock, an old toothbrush, etc. I put candles around it and use it as a shrine.Sapientia

If you have any hair, I know some voodoo people.
  • Sir2u
    If we all agree that the likes are only to be used for something like "I learned something for this post" then I see no reason not to use them. And if you don't like them just ignore them.
  • Human
    But we don't all agree on that, and people wouldn't stick to the agreement even if we did. And it's difficult to ignore them, as they are stuck in a prominent place under our names.

No good complaining I suppose since apparently we can't get rid of them.
  • Jamal
    I think they could encourage good behaviour.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I'm not too sold on that one.

They usually encourage 'bandwagoning' and other ad populum activities.

'Likes' discourage people taking a few risks in thinking or voicing an somewhat unpopular notion and helps promote academic sterility.

Atleast the votes down are gone. That was the equivalent of a 'pseudo philosophical drive by shooting'. The philosophy of a thug and gangbanger.

Meow!

GREG
  • Human
    I strongly agree with the Mayor about the downside of "likes".
  • Benkei
    I strongly don't care. If there are posters whose delicate sensibilities are swayed by likes or dislikes then it's quite likely they don't have anything sensible to share, craving confirmation from the masses as they are. Those don't last on PF in the long run.

It's a non issue really.
  • discoii
    But how will neurosis be curbed without it?
  • Wosret
    Don't worry about it, just imagine that the standard of measure of quality judgment, even quality human being is whether or not they liked you. When someone else has five hundred likes, and you have five, this means nothing more than that there are only five quality human beings among them.
  • Baden
    The members list defaults to ordering by likes so it's effectively a leaderboardYahadreas

We need to fix that default. It is naff.
  • Jamal
    I'll add it to the list in Feature requests.
  • Baden
    Cheers.
  • Michael
    Might be quicker to build your own forum than wait for them to add everything on your list. ;)
  • Jamal
    They're deploying a new release in November. Not sure if they'll squeeze any of our requests in on time. Sounds like they're pretty slow and careful.
  • Moliere
    Heh. I figured that it would take time. There's actually a lot of cool things this format has to offer that the old one doesn't. I was just trying to think of ways to make it feel "homey" more than anything.
  • _db
    I completely agree, the like/dislike option always bothered me in the past forum. It made it difficult for me to judge a submission by its worth and not by its popularity.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.