• Human
    It's so childish, and not appropriate for the level and type of discussion I would hope to have on a philosophy forum. If you like what somebody says, you can say so, and say why.
  • Jamal
    I don't mind likes, but I'm not too keen on the leaderboard. Not sure if I can get rid of it. Probably not.

In some ways it might be an improvement on PF, because there's no dislike.
  • Jamal
    UPDATE: I managed to turn off the likes leaderboard.
  • Human
    Well done. Is there an option to disable "likes" altogether?
  • Jamal
    No, I'm afraid not.
  • Human
    Will you agree to give me lots of likes then?
  • Jamal
    There, I gave you one.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Here's a bit of the small differences in members...

I'm all for internal replies, as when used properly one can make a quick comment rather than address the entire issue or possible post a non sequitur for the sake of humor to break up the 'over seriousness' that often occurs when a stubborn force meets a stubborn immovable object. This helps keep philosophy less being a boring academic dead from the neck down enterprise.

Now...

Like and dislikes add more nothing than internal replies, as this is just a'hit and run' approach to the thread and post. It is a contentless, lazy and a cowardly act, that simply is an ad populum 'twitterish' illness.

If we have 'like and dislikes' it would be great if we could deactivate that if we so choose.

Meow!

GREG
  • Benkei
    If you don't use it, it's pretty much deactivated from your side. Meanwhile, enjoy your first like...
  • Human
    Nothing to stop you making a quick comment in the thread. Internal replies throw everything out of sequence, people tend to use them to make silly comments or to snipe.
  • Mayor of Simpleton

Thank-you!

I'll try to deactivate it now. That way I can quit while I'm ahead.

Meow!

GREG
  • Jamal
    If we have 'like and dislikes' it would be great if we could deactivate that if we so choose.Mayor of Simpleton

Note that the system only has likes, and no dislikes.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Oh what a happy system! ;)

I can live with that.

btw... I plan to toss something into tests. Just a heads up.

Meow!

GREG
  • Benkei
    Please don't...
  • S
    Is there an option to disable "likes" altogether?Human

They're barely noticeable. Especially when I use my mobile to access this site, because I have to tap the screen to see 'em.
  • Benkei
    I aim to have more likes than posts so from now on I'll only postulate acceptable theories even if I don't support them.

Ps: this works well on a phone too...
  • Human
    I'm less bothered now the "Leaderboard" has gone, that was truly pathetic, still don't like likes, and I don't use a phone for this purpose.
  • Michael
    The members list defaults to ordering by likes so it's effectively a leaderboard.
  • S
    Shh! He might take that away too.
  • Human
    Pathetic.
  • S
    You're just jealous because I'm more popular than you. ;)

(Wait, no I'm not! Oh no, quick, someone like me.)
  • Human
    I regard my tiny number of likes as a badge of honour.
  • Human
    Only idiots give "likes" so anybody with a lot of "likes" is popular with idiots. It's the same as the American electoral system I think.
  • Human
    I've given you one Sapentia.
  • Human
    From now on I am only going to give "likes" when I really dislike something. So you'll never be sure if you are really liked or not. This subversion will ultimately lead to the collapse of the fascist "likes" regime.
  • Hanover
    The reason to get rid of the likes is because they're irrelevant and we care too much about them, except me. I haven't even noticed I'm in second place behind Jamalrob, who's only winning because he set up this site.
  • Mongrel
    @Hanover
    The reason to get rid of the likes is because they're irrelevant and we care too much about them, except me. I haven't even noticed I'm in second place behind Jamalrob, who's only winning because he set up this site.Hanover

I just mentioned and quoted Hanover. (L) And put a heart. Is there a function that counts how many times Hanover uses the word "me?"

Reveal
    what does hide do? Oh.. that's.. odd.
  • S
    Is there a function that counts how many times Hanover uses the word "me?"Mongrel

I can just check my Hanover chart. It contains all the information that I've obsessively collected about Hanover over the years.
  • Mongrel
    I can just check my Hanover chart. It contains all the information that I've obsessively collected about Hanover over the years.Sapientia

Chart? Like with photos connected by pieces of yarn?
  • S
    Chart? Like with photos connected by pieces of yarn?Mongrel

Yes, but not just photos; it also contains various stolen belongings and discarded items: a family photo, a sock, an old toothbrush, etc. I put candles around it and use it as a shrine.
  • Hanover
    Time spent collecting Hanover trinkets is time well spent as is time spent talking about ME.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.