• skyblack
    When one looks at the human condition one finds the human surrounded by problems. In order to cope with these problems the human looks at various solutions promised by ideologies, religions, politics, economics, science, and so forth. While few of man’s problems are practical but most of them are psychological. An example to better understand the distinction: If one does not have the basic needs of food, shelter, and clothes, this a practical problem. However, If one is psychologically insecure because they aren’t “comparable” or “better” than the Jones, then this a psychological problem.

In his constant effort to fix his problems by looking into the solutions proposed by the various brokers (Secular or Religious), it is clear the human has descended into a pattern of conformity, thus making the mind and the heart dull, insensitive, sluggish, blind, unresponsive, almost lifeless. A second hand machine at best, that constantly breaks down.

It seems the human is not capable of looking at anything with fresh eyes or to adequately respond to the challenges life throws at him/her. Every new moment is met with the weight of the past and through the acquired filters. Thus all responses are partial and fragmentary.

How can such a burdened human ever be free to meet a new unknown moment. How will such a weighed consciousness penetrate the tenuous workings of their own mind, and that of the universe.
  • Outlander
    When one looks at the human condition one finds the human surrounded by problems. In order to cope with these problems the human looks at various solutions promised by ideologies, religions, politics, economics, science, and so forth.skyblack

And substances. Don't forget the substances. Which can lead to rapid deterioration of the body as well, though both are connected. Life can be pretty annoying when thought about in the wrong ways. Of course some aspects to life are rather non-ambiguous.

Whoever can make the best pitch to get one through the hard times is admired more often than not. At least appreciated.
  • Jack Cummins

I am not sure that I agree with your picture of the human condition, but I think that we have already touched on this slightly. However, what I am interested in and curious about is your title which asks about deterioration. Are you coming from an assumption that the human mind was better at some point in the past? Is such a deterioration something which happens in life due to experiences? Or, is your title referring to some kind of deterioration which has occurred historically in culture?
  • skyblack
    And substances. Don't forget substances. Which can lead to deterioration of the body as well, though both are connected. Life can be pretty annoying when thought about in the wrong ways. Of course some aspects to life are rather non-ambiguous.Outlander

The OP has touched on the subtle, more serious, and under the radar causes of deterioration of the human mind, which affects the body as well. It does not exclusively focus on the body per se. But i completely agree on the point of substances, and by extension to other factors which also function along the same lines.
  • skyblack
    I am not sure that I agree with your picture of the human condition, but I think that we have already touched on this slightly. However, what I am interested in and curious about is your title which asks about deterioration. Are you coming from an assumption that the human mind was better at some point in the past? Is such a deterioration something which happens in life due to experiences? Or, is your title referring to some kind of deterioration which has occurred historically in culture?Jack Cummins

The OP has touched on the issue of "agreeing" and "disagreeing" in a subtle way (it may need another thread). Perhaps a second read might clarify. It has to do with conformity and looking through the past lens, as the OP has suggested. Since your response does not elaborate or come with a rebuttal. except an assertion of not agreeing, i guess there isn't much OP can do.

The OP isn't coming from any "assumptions" but from observable facts of our present condition, which are technically available for observation to everyone., But that observation doesn't take place because of certain defects. Some of the defects have been mentioned in OP as well as in the previous paragraph in present response.
  • Judaka

it is clear the human has descended into a pattern of conformity, thus making the mind and the heart dull, insensitive, sluggish, blind, unresponsive, almost lifeless. A second hand machine at best, that constantly breaks downskyblack

It seems the human is not capable of looking at anything with fresh eyes or to adequately respond to the challenges life throws at him/her. Every new moment is met with the weight of the past and through the acquired filters. Thus all responses are partial and fragmentary.skyblack

You say "thus" as though you've laid forth an argument but there's no argument, what is the "pattern of conformity" and what is the problem with it?
  • skyblack
    You say "thus" as though you've laid forth an argument but there's no argument, what is the "pattern of conformity" and what is the problem with it?Judaka
    The word thus was used as an acknowledgement of a fact....more precisely an acknowledgement of the resultant effects, of what was said prior to it's usage.

If English is your first language and you are able to read, then you should be able to see the arguments in the OP, including the ones you have put in quotes. If comprehension is an issue then i don't know what to say, except to urge you to go slow with lots of humility. To take your time to learn. If 'baiting' is what you are looking for, sorry, not interested. I am sure there may be others you can go to.

Edit: I will suggest using observation to look at your own life and how your mind works, if you are serious in going into your questions. But feel free to disregard my suggestion if you wish.
  • 180 Proof
    You're, more or less, a Heideggarian, aren't you? Or Sartrean?
  • Judaka

You're quite sensitive, comically so.

Looking at your thread here and your other discussion, name a poster who responded to you, who you're pretty sure understood what you were trying to say. We got a guy talking about drug abuse, we got a guy who totally ignored your OP and only responded to the title of your thread. In your other thread, just by your own responses, you know neither poster had any clue what you were talking about.

I'll help you out, none of them has any clue what you're talking about because you speak in vague generalities and draw unexplained conclusions from them. I don't know you, I don't care, I'm not trolling. There is no justification in your writing for why conformity leads to "the heart and mind being sluggish", "lifeless" and so forth. I lost interest but fair warning, I would assume anyone who responds to your OP has failed to understand your argument, be wary of people filling in your generalities with specifics that don't match your intentions. Best luck.
  • skyblack
    You're quite sensitive, comically so.Judaka

You know what's really funny? The predictable reactionary posts, when the focus shifts from the topic to the person. It's the first sign of a failure of intelligence and the taking over of emotional hissies, as can be seen in your laced posts. But then finger pointing doesn't interest me so carry on.
    Looking at your thread here and your other discussion, name a poster who responded to you, who you're pretty sure understood what you were trying to say. We got a guy talking about drug abuse, we got a guy who totally ignored your OP and only responded to the title of your thread. In your other thread, just by your own responses, you know neither poster had any clue what you were talking about.

I'll help you out, none of them has any clue what you're talking about because you speak in vague generalities and draw unexplained conclusions from them. I don't know you, I don't care, I'm not trolling. There is no justification in your writing for why conformity leads to "the heart and mind being sluggish", "lifeless" and so forth. I lost interest but fair warning, I would assume anyone who responds to your OP has failed to understand your argument, be wary of people filling in your generalities with specifics that don't match your intentions. Best luck.
    Judaka

It isn't my job to educate the clueless. I could however make exceptions and answer questions, as i have, but only if the sincerity and the seriousness of the questioner comes through in their posts, and in their tone. It will be a waste of energy and time to talk to people of questionable intent/posts, who seem to bait rather than be upfront, or are used to throwing funny hissy fits. Good luck.

Edit: I was right, English isn't your first language.
  • T Clark
    In his constant effort to fix his problems by looking into the solutions proposed by the various brokers (Secular or Religious), it is clear the human has descended into a pattern of conformity, thus making the mind and the heart dull, insensitive, sluggish, blind, unresponsive, almost lifeless. A second hand machine at best, that constantly breaks down.skyblack

This is from the Tao Te Ching, Verse 20, Stephen Mitchell's translation.

Stop thinking, and end your problems.
    What difference between yes and no?
    What difference between success and failure?
    Must you value what others value,
    avoid what others avoid?
    How ridiculous!

Other people are excited,
    as though they were at a parade.
    I alone don't care,
    I alone am expressionless,
    like an infant before it can smile.

Other people have what they need;
    I alone possess nothing.
    I alone drift about,
    like someone without a home.
    I am like an idiot, my mind is so empty.

Other people are bright;
    I alone am dark.
    Other people are sharper;
    I alone am dull.
    Other people have a purpose;
    I alone don't know.
    I drift like a wave on the ocean,
    I blow as aimless as the wind.

I think the sentiment here is similar to the one you expressing. The difference is that Lao Tzu feels compassion for the people he describes. You seem to feel contempt. You don't seem to like people very much.

At least this verse shows that the "conformity" you're talking about has been around for at least 2,500 years. More likely it's been around since before humans evolved. Some level of submission to a hierarchical system is probably necessary for large groups of people to live together.

The Tao Te Ching and other spiritual/religious paths offer the possibility of a more authentic approach to life. I think it's also possible for people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and find it for themselves.

How can such a burdened human ever be free to meet a new unknown moment. How will such a weighed consciousness penetrate the tenuous workings of their own mind, and that of the universe.skyblack

How are you dealing with this problem for yourself?
  • T Clark
    You know what's really funny? The predictable reactionary posts, when the focus shifts from the topic to the person. It's the first sign of a failure of intelligence and the taking over of emotional hissies, as can be seen in your laced posts. But then finger pointing doesn't interest me so carry on.skyblack

Your OP and subsequent posts are really condescending. Given that, you should expect unsympathetic responses.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment