• Deleted User
    Hello. My name is Kevin and I'm a 35 year old from the EU (Netherlands). While doing an online philosophy course I felt the desire to join a community. To talk about the world as it is today. That's how I found this forum. Currently unemployed, I spend most of my time studying and meditating.
    At the same time I try to be a productive member of our ever-growing global online society. Luckily my cat Nova is here to remind me to take the necessary screen breaks. :)
    I find ethics the most fascinating philosophical discipline. Related disciplines such as sociology and psychology also spark my interest.

My honest wish is to be engaged in some lively conversations. Looking forward to writing with you!
  • T Clark
    I'm sorry no one has responded, so I will. Welcome to the forum. I am an engineer and visiting the Netherlands has always felt like coming home. A nation of engineers. But North Sea oysters are terrible.
  • Deleted User
    Hey, thank you. That's so kind. Being ignored feels awful indeed!
    What kind of engineering do you do, if I may ask?

I agree, the mussels are way better. But I'm vegetarian now, so those are in the past :)
  • T Clark

Civil engineer working cleaning up contaminated soil and groundwater. Retired now.
  • Amity
    Hey, thank you. That's so kind. Being ignored feels awful indeed!TaySan

Great that T Clark picked up that your Introduction hadn't been responded to.

While doing an online philosophy course I felt the desire to join a community. To talk about the world as it is todayTaySan

What kind of an online course ? And yes, it is always a good idea to supplement a course just as you are doing. Is this the only opportunity you have to chat about philo stuff you are interested in ?

I was wondering if there was an Introduction subforum anywhere on this site - so that posts could be seen and responded to quickly by eg a moderator.

It must be disheartening to feel ignored.
    So, here's another Welcome to the forum :smile:
  • T Clark
    I remember you !Amity

Sometimes I remember me too.
  • Amity
    Good to see you back in full fun form :smile:
  • Deleted User
    that is amazing! Very environmentally friendly. Are you enjoying your retirement?
  • Deleted User
    Oh, it's not that bad. I'm an artist, I tend to over dramatize things :). But thanks for welcoming me!

I'm doing the Crash Course Philosophy on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNYJQaZUDrI&list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNgK6MZucdYldNkMybYIHKR

It's a free online course by two famous brothers: Hank and John Green.

Normally I'd talk philosophy with my Dad or with friends, but since the lockdown those options have been limited.

To me it seems this community is thriving, so that's definitely a good thing. :D
  • Amity
    I think it is wonderful that there are so many free online courses and resources for philosophy.
    TPF has a Resources section you might find helpful.
    Found under Categories > Learning Centre
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/categories/27/resources

Best wishes in following the course :smile:
  • T Clark

Retirement is wonderful. I recommend that everyone retire immediately.
  • Caldwell
    Luckily my cat Nova is here to remind me to take the necessary screen breaks. :)
    I find ethics the most fascinating philosophical discipline. Related disciplines such as sociology and psychology also spark my interest.

My honest wish is to be engaged in some lively conversations. Looking forward to writing with you!
    TaySan

Welcome, TaySan! Good specialty combination.

This is a good way to take breaks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet