• Wosret
    Not him, I'm not sure who Human is.
  • Hanover
    I was thinking the same thing. Let's not spoil the suspense though. We'll know soon enough when Banno joins up and there's a cat fight.Baden

I sent Banno a PM to come on over. I didn't put an @ sign on it or a hash tag, so it may not work. I think if I hit Ctrl-X on his avatar over there and do a Ctrl-V over here, it will copy and paste him here. That's how I get to work every morning anyway.
  • Jamal
    The last thing this fledgling forum should have to deal with right now is TGW, Kwalish Kid and John Sartoris all joining at about the same time. :o
  • The outlaw Josey Wales

Pot calls Kettle? I am pretty sure all of this could have been done in a PM. Though, it seems you may have more of a deeper issue with Tiff to go out of your way to try and publicly shame her for doing the exact same thing you are now doing.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    Well, it seems as though someone may have Pm'd all the people in the unmoderated section this new websites link. Good luck Mods! ;)
  • Sentient
    Well, things in the world of philosophy certainly have been 'interesting' recently. Who ever knew our beloved, 'stuffy' little humanitarian science could attract such controversy.

As always:

'Don't feed the trolls' and of those there are many shapes and sizes. Some are even dressed up as fairies! As a rule ignore sympathy ploys, too good to be truers and those who incite/provoke. That's what I've learnt so far, kinda. The internet sure is a weird place.

:D
  • BC
    Back in my nights-at-the-gay-bars era I used to consider a good, conversation over beer just about as good as finding a hot trick to go home with. Eventually I aged out of the bar-nights and hot-tricks routine. There were some political and religious groups that served the conversational need, but those are pretty much all dead. I worked at a place in the late 80s where about a third of the employees engaged in an intellectually stimulating approach to the work. That was ideal.

All people need places to make connections; some people need places to interact intellectually. PhilosophyForums was the best thing (since 2008, for me). Connection + intellectual interaction.

There is much about this academic field philosophy that I find a bit dry, even arid. Other less academic parts interest me more.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    What drew me to PF, more or less my only online Forum, was that I was interested in philosophy and was losing my English.

What kept me there was community...
    ...actually more than one community.

It was a community where I could rant and roll over philosophical like sort of stuff without too many people trying to move to another seat at the table; thus not bother my other communities with the burden of having to be exposed to such obsessive/compulsive behavior.

Now that this community in PF is threatened, I'm in the process of moving...

... resulting in posts like this one on this online forum.

Meow!

GREG
  • Sir2u
    Start a special dueling thread where all can go and release their pent up fury on whatever other brave soul shows up there. Should be fun.
    Same rule as Las Vegas should apply there though.
  • jorndoe
    - Hear!
    Didn't Wittgenstein think philosophy is an activity? (Pardon if my memory failed me.)
    There's a "living" aspect to philosophy, more than reading the books of old, but also chatting (socializing), and forming one's own outlooks.
  • Sentient
    @jorndoe

I never enjoyed Wittgenstein enough to be able to concur or verify this! Ha.

Philosophy deals with the question 'how to live' and everybody asks that in some form or another at some point.
  • Michael
    Speaking of Wittgenstein, where's Sam26?
  • _db
    I have thoughts, ideas, and questions that I want to discuss. I don't know anyone in person to discuss these topics with. Philosophy Forums and other online forums are a refuge for me to get down my thoughts and hear some feedback. Mostly I use them to reorganize my thinking and tidy up the clutter bin that is my head; it's a type of therapy, so to speak.
  • jorndoe
    - That's my take too, well one of them. (As long as decluttering comments doesn't become too large a task in itself.) :)
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet