• S
    I think we need 'like' and 'dislike' buttons and counts in this forum.CasKev

We used to have 'like' buttons. They were voted out. I voted to keep them, but now I think it's better without them.

Or wait - maybe silence is the highest form of praise you can get here... :)CasKev

I ain't fallin' for that one.
  • BC
    Sometimes, I think I've made a pretty decent post, and no one really responds to it saying 'Hurrah' or 'Woohoo' - it just kind of sits there, and I'm left to feel like no one even bothered to consider it.CasKev

Unfortunately, good posts get ignored. Fortunately, bad posts also get ignored.

There is a thing you can do that might help: Quote somebody in your post (using the quote tool) or reply to somebody using the reply tool. Obviously the quote or the reply should be relevant to your excellent post. Learned philosophers tend to more frequently read and respond to other learned philosopher's posts when they themselves are mentioned in the post.

If that doesn't work, remember that life is just a living nightmare most of the time, so it is quite consistent with reality that one's pearls should be trampled by swine.
  • CasKev
    We used to have 'like' buttons. They were voted out. I voted to keep them, but now I think it's better without them.Sapientia

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to bask in the silence.
  • S
    Until someone comes along and breaks it.
  • Sir2u
    Or wait - maybe silence is the highest form of praise you can get here...CasKev

That's how the original thread in the old place got started.
  • CasKev
    I made a suggestion on the Facebook page that they should post more excerpts from the Forum there. Maybe we can get some validation that way. X-)
  • S
    There's a Wiser Words thread here for that, and anyone can quote anything from anyone, but it hardly gets used here, unlike in the old place.
  • CasKev
    Took a look. You're right - it doesn't get used much, except by @ArguingWAristotleTiff, the Philosophy Cheerleader. ;)
  • Sir2u
    Maybe we can get some validation that way. X-)CasKev

Is that your reason for posting here? Most of us do it for fun. :D
  • CasKev
    Hard to know if you're a worthwhile individual without some 'Likes'! It's the most accurate measure out there!
  • Sir2u
    Hard to know if you're a worthwhile individual without some 'Likes'! It's the most accurate measure out there!CasKev

Do you think that the people that liked you understood what you said, or they liked you because you said something that they were to dumb to think of.
  • S
    Too.
  • CasKev
    Okay, maybe we're going to need a few more buttons... I suggest 'Agree', 'Like', '♡', and 'Brilliant!'
  • 0 thru 9

Lol! Exactly. Some more button possibilities: "WTFudge?", "Tl;DR", "Pure Genius!", "Could you dumb it down a shade, please?", "meh... ", "Thems fightin' words! (if I could ever translate it into plain English, that is)", "What-eva!", "Inspirational! Want that engraved on my tombstone!"

Probably not possible, but it might be interesting to use the emojis/ smilies as a vote feedback at the end of posts. Example:

(Y) 7 . :-O 5. (N) 4. X-) 3. :P 2.
  • CasKev
    What-eva!

:D 13 (Y) 19

Hahaha!
  • CasKev
    I think I'll just start adding them at the end of my own posts. Looks pretty legit. People will be trying to click on them and nothing will happen.

:D 8 >:) 2
  • 0 thru 9

Hee hee! Though odds are i would eventually get the a rating of:

:-d 99. (N) 81. :-} 36.
  • CasKev
    Haha! But at least you would know that you suck, instead of just constantly wondering.
  • 0 thru 9

Or that a particular approach might be barking up the wrong tree. (There might be an upside to some small anonymous feedback.) But then again... there's that very slim chance that I'm right and 135 other philosophy devotees are wrong. It could happen! It is such a burden sometimes to be slightly ahead of the rest of humanity. Oh, the pain... the pain of it all! :D
  • Sir2u
    NO TO THE BUTTONS.(N) (Y) (N) (Y) (N)

It is soooo tempting to push them. (N) (Y) (N) (Y)
  • 0 thru 9

Ahhh... it might be fun though! Give feedback without starting a riot. Since we can't have 9 different fonts and 17 text colors... X-) (Of course it won't happen because of the forum format software thingy even if all the moderators suffered simultaneous concussions and agreed to it!)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Time to celebrate our youngest Indian going to college next week. Just our inner circle, the four that makes my world complete. Cheers to Knowledge and the pursuit of a higher thinking and a good dose of luck that the base education of books and life, we have provided him till now, will be enough for him to grow from.

This is hardly the "Last Word" but it is my favorite poem of all time:
    an excerpt from
    "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said,
    "Speak to us of Children".
    And he said:

Your children are not your children,
    They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
    They come through you but are not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
    which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and
    He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
    For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
    So he loves also the bow that is stable.
  • Sir2u

It would make a very fitting end to this thread.
  • Sir2u
    Buggery and brimstone.

I think I messed that up didn't I.
  • Hanover
    My cat is kneading it's claws in my chest and my dog is whining on the floor because she wants up in the bed. My efforts at negotiating aren't working.
  • Sir2u
    My cat is kneading it's claws in my chest and my dog is whining on the floor because she wants up in the bed. My efforts at negotiating aren't working.Hanover

Take the bloody thing over to the Shoutbox, they are talking about fat cats licking their balls over there.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I think I messed that up didn't I.Sir2u

Nah, Sir, you didn't mess it up, you just confirmed for me that you actually read what I posted and THAT will never be "messed up". (L)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    My efforts at negotiating aren't working.Hanover

Wait, aren't you an attorney? Did they not have a "Mediation" class in Law school?
  • Hanover
    Did they not have a "Mediation" class in Law school?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Yeah, but they didn't teach me how to negotiate with cats. I'm talking literal cats here, so keep your mind out of the gutter.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    ~wicked grins
    Maybe after my second cup of Joe
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.