• Amity
    I used up my available chances to edit my account, so now I have to wait 3 days. Fine. 3 days, 3 years, whatever. Screw it.BC

Have fun whenever you get there :pray:
  • frank
    If someone already mentioned this, ignore it, but Discord is known for scams. If someone contacts you claiming to be jamal, asking for money, ignore it.
  • javi2541997
    What if that someone claims to be frank instead? :scream:
  • Amity
    Discord has an article about Understanding and Avoiding Common Scams
    https://discord.com/safety/understanding-and-avoiding-common-scams

and a blog updating you on crashes, bugs and fixes:
    https://discord.com/blog/discord-patch-notes-august-30-2024

How to Discord
    9 Tips for Hanging Out
    https://discord.com/blog/9-tips-for-hanging-out-on-discord
  • frank
    What if that someone claims to be frank instead?javi2541997

Tell them a "yo momma so fat" joke.
  • Outlander
    If someone already mentioned this, ignore it, but Discord is known for scams. If someone contacts you claiming to be jamal, asking for money, ignore it.frank

That's more like the Internet in general. Jamal has a nice crown icon in the Discord I saw, so anyone who is foolish enough yet on a philosophy site to be tricked into such likely doesn't have much to give anyhow and as such is what you call a "non-target". Bigger fish to fry, as they say.

What I don't like about Discord, or even its predecessor IRC and before that MSN messenger, all messaging apps in general is you got weirdos from countries that frankly shouldn't even exist using avatars of young attractive females who prey on adolescents (male and female) who are in fact themselves older men. Due to the fact it's for some reason made "normal" to be on either a Discord or what-have-you for gaming related purposes. They'll send pictures of random cam (careless women, we'll call them) persons in sexual positions and acts and masquerade as them with the intent of receiving similar pictures in return. But that's beyond the point.

Long story short, I think just about everyone here knows and is aware of the point you're trying to get across.
  • frank
    Long story short, I think just about everyone here knows and is aware of the point you're trying to get across.Outlander

Well that's just like... your opinion, man.
  • BC
    I deleted my account. Solved several issues with one click.
  • frank
    That's more like the Internet in general. Jamal has a nice crown icon in the Discord I saw, so anyone who is foolish enough yet on a philosophy site to be tricked into such likely doesn't have much to give anyhow and as such is what you call a "non-target". Bigger fish to fry, as they say.Outlander

They don't contact you within the group. They look for people who just signed up to Discord and present themselves as say, thephilosophyforum, complete with logos and whatnot. Then they assure you that money is needed.
  • Amity
    Yay! If all our issues could be so easily solved.
  • Gregory of the Beard of Ockham

I'm not fond of Discord, but am willing to join your server there in case of need.

However, this happened to me too:

"Whoops...
    Unable to accept invite"

It tells me there are 3 online and 17 members, so this must be working for some folks.
  • Outlander

Gotta right click > Open in New Private Window.

Actually, it gives you the rigamarole for reasons I posted earlier. So already have the private window open and be signed in. Then open a new tab in that private window and copy and paste the link. You're welcome. :up:
  • Gregory of the Beard of Ockham
    I don't know how I missed seeing that earlier, but I did. Thanks!
  • Moliere
    I signed up. (it's definitely an easier way to do voice conversations, as we've been floating but failed to accomplish)
  • BC
    Welcome to TPF; I don't like discord, either.
  • javi2541997
    Although Discord is not the epitome of social media, it has fruit emojis (special attention to the banana emoji). Something that Plush Forums lacks of... 

Oh! What a minute. I am basically the only one who uses emojis. :snicker:
  • Amity
    OK. All of this has made me realise how important both philosophy and creativity matter to me.
    I was reminded of other options. So, I re-visited 'Philosophy Now' and have subscribed to the magazine.
    https://philosophynow.org/shop

I left the PN forum some time ago. Unfortunately, there are only 2 mods there - and it was pretty much an 'anything goes' bar scene. Not sure how it is now. Rick Lewis has more avenues to explore and invest his time in. We will see...
  • Jamal
    @BC @Amity @everyone

To clarify: if you don't join the Discord server you won't be left behind; the forum will always be at thephilosophyforum.com, and even if it did go down for an extended period, we'd bring it back as soon as possible.

So the Discord server will not replace this forum. It's somewhere to go in TPF emergencies, but also an optional social space for different kinds of interactions — we'll see if and how that develops.

I'll leave this discussion pinned for a few days so all frequently participating members can see it.
  • javi2541997
    To clarify: if you don't join the Discord server you won't be left behind; the forum will always be at thephilosophyforum.com,Jamal

:up:

But I guess only a few or even nobody is in that forum. The main point is to not leave behind our relationship and keep our data to the extent we could. I don't see the point of joining a random philosophy forum with moderators who are unknown to us, and we will not know how they would welcome us.
  • Amity
    But I guess only a few or even nobody is in that forum. The main point is to not leave behind our relationship and keep our data to the extent we could. I don't see the point of joining a random philosophy forum with moderators who are unknown to us, and we will not know how they would welcome us.javi2541997

Your guess would be wrong. PN has an interesting history - it came with recommendations when I was a student. A long time ago...

NB - I'm not trying to persuade others to move. I understand the reasons for using Discord as a temporary solution for TPF's current problem. Thanks @Jamal and others for clarification.

This is not a 'me' against a 'we'. I happen to know PN, the magazine, the forum, participants and the mods from way back when, under a different name. Like TPF, it provided what I needed 'at that time' (2015 -18). It's not a 'random' forum. It is separate but related to PN proper. I'm looking forward to reading the mags and perhaps participate in any of the article discussions.

As @Baden wrote recently in Feedback: 'we all need to recognize where we are and act accordingly.'

I love TPF and all who sail in her. It still means a lot to me. Best wishes :heart: :sparkle: :flower:
  • Amity
    It's somewhere to go in TPF emergencies, but also an optional social space for different kinds of interactions — we'll see if and how that develops.Jamal

Got it! :up: But still not persuaded to join, thanks. Have fun seeing how things go...best wishes!
  • BC
    The availability of fruit emoji's might be sufficient reason to move the whole TPF site to Discord! One could use the pineapple emoji to efficiently welcome new members, for instance (pineapples were once a symbol of welcoming, so I have heard). Banana and banana peel emoji's would have several uses. Sour grapes, kiwis, nuts, cherries, peaches, apricots, eggplant, raspberries (the Bronx cheer) rotten tomatoes, etc. Speaking of tomatoes, did you participate in the big Spanish tomato fight?

I just find Discord an ugly user interface with annoying operating features. I generally avoid social media sites like FaceBook et al, because I don't like having content pushed at me. I prefer to "pull" content by actively seeking content -- as one does with TPF or on-line newspapers. The drivel quotient at most social media sites is high, too.

All that said, sites can go down, and it can be a rude shock, especially if it lasts for more than a short (minutes, a couple of hours) time. The old PF site went down for several days once and it was quite distressing. It IS a good idea to have a location where news about the outage or outrage can be shared and digital antidepressants can be dispensed. .
  • javi2541997
    One could use the pineapple emoji to efficiently welcome new members, for instance (pineapples were once a symbol of welcoming, so I have heard). Banana and banana peel emoji's would have several uses. Sour grapes, kiwis, nuts, cherries, peaches, apricots, eggplant, raspberries (the Bronx cheer) rotten tomatoes, etc.BC

If I had to choose a fruit representing philosophy, I would go for a coconut. Why? Because although it is tough and rough in the bark, it has a juicy and delicious liquid when you get deep into it.

did you participate in the big Spanish tomato fight?BC

No, mate. I don't participate in guiri things.
  • BC
    No, mate. I don't participate in guiri things.javi2541997

Google said 'guiri' means "uncouth foreign tourists, usually those with Northern European looks".

Well, of course thrifty Northern Europeans would have to go south to find tomatoes cheap enough to throw at each other. On the other hand, the Northern European Lutherans around here (the upper midwest of North America) aren't accustomed to engaging in public disorder, especially a public food fight. Are you sure it isn't Russians and Bulgarians who are the guiri?
  • javi2541997
    thrifty Northern EuropeansBC
    Are you sure it isn't Russians and Bulgarians who are the guiri?BC

I make Mancunians responsible for the tomatina party, especially @Sir2u.
    Are there Russians in the ceremony as well? Probably. You know they are all over the world spying folks!
  • Sir2u
    If I had to choose a fruit representing philosophy, I would go for a coconut.javi2541997

Maybe you are right, coconuts either ripen on the tree or not at all. Not like other fruits that will still ripen as long as they are cut after maturity. Coconuts just rot away if not used.

While on the topic, I have about 300 - 500 coconuts for sale every couple of weeks. $1 each.
  • Sir2u
    I make Mancunians responsible for the tomatina party, especially Sir2u.javi2541997

You can blame them all you want, I have not seen another one for at least 40 years. :lol: :rofl:
  • Jamal
    And we're back. This time it was nothing to do with disk space. The data centre had a power outage.

No, mate. I don't participate in guiri things.javi2541997

I once was aggressively called "Guiri" by a drunken Spanishman. Ironically, he was the one who was being uncouth; I was a perfect gentleman.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.