• Jamal
    The site has been down for a while today and I don’t know if we’re safe and sound yet. It got me thinking we should have somewhere online to gather if that happens again.

So I urge you to join the new TPF Discord server now. Just follow this link and sign up to Discord if you’re not already on it.*

https://discord.gg/aA7uPN4UnR

Currently there is only one channel to post messages in, called “shoutbox”. If the place becomes popular, I can add more channels. I’d be happy if it became the social space of TPF.

* For those unaware, Discord is a platform for groups of people to chat, using instant messaging (or voice). Each group has its own Discord “server,” basically a private collection of “channels,” which are persistent message threads. To use Discord you can just use your browser as you do for any other site, or you can use an app — there’s an app for most operating systems.
  • Amity
    The site has been down for a while today and I don’t know if we’re safe and sound yet. It got me thinking we should have somewhere online to gather if that happens again.

So I urge you to join the new TPF Discord server now. Just follow this link and sign up to Discord if you’re not already on it.*
    Jamal

'Safe and sound' issues? What happens when the site is down, other than inaccessibility?
    Personally, I can cope with a temporary inconvenience without having another online place to gather.

I am not on Discord and I don't think I want to go there. Is it 'safe and sound'?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord

Perhaps others can give feedback as to its benefits for TPF.
  • javi2541997

I joined the Discord server. I used to use Discord four years ago with a different user name when I was very addicted to anime. It is a cool place but more dynamic than a forum. 

In the event that this website closes, it's crucial to find another place.I would be devastated if this ever happens. However, a solution needs to be found. If this goes away, we cannot allow ourselves to be separated and lose contact with one another. :broken:
  • Baden

Benefits: It won't go down regularly. It won't disappear. There's a built-in voice chat option (I don't know if this needs to be turned on by Jamal though). I am there. What else? Easy dark mode.
  • Amity
    In the event that this website closes,javi2541997

If the website is in danger of closing down permanently, then perhaps the owner and Admin might consider creating a 'New TPF'? But I know they've been there before and done that...so very well :up: Perhaps it is indeed time for change and something different.

I'm not a fan of voice chat. So, if more TPF participants start to use Discord, then so be it.
    Although I enjoy the company and discussions here, I would not be 'devastated' to leave. I've done so many times and survived. I don't think my absence would make all that much of a difference. I've exchanged email addresses with a few.

more dynamic than a forum.javi2541997
    I prefer to take time to read, think and write calmly and carefully. So, 'more dynamic' holds no attraction.

Life goes on. Refreshing. Best wishes to all :sparkle:
  • Amity
    I have no idea what 'easy dark mode' means! And after reading wiki, it doesn't seem to be a place I want/need to go.
  • Banno
    I hear tell Bluesky was the big winner in Brazil...
  • Baden

You don't need to join any other servers other than the TPF one. And it's just a backup right now. There's nothing to fear except perhaps Banno.
  • Jamal

It's not a replacement for TPF or the place that TPF is moving to. It's to make sure nobody gets lost if the worst happens, or just somewhere to hang out whether or not the site happens to be down.

Also note that voice chat is merely an option.
  • Amity
    :smile: Well then, I think I can cope :cool:
  • Amity
    Thanks for further explanation and for thinking ahead. Another 'hang out' like Shoutbox is not what I want/need but I know others do. Good idea! :up:
  • Amity
    'Safe and sound' issues? What happens when the site is down, other than inaccessibility?Amity

Still concerned about this. What are we at risk from?
  • Jamal

There's a risk that Plush, our current platform, will cease operating before we manage to set up a new forum and move all the data across, so I've tried to ensure the community doesn't fall apart. The downtime this morning made me worry enough to set up the Discord server.

(In case anyone's wondering, I don't think there's a significant risk of our losing all our data, i.e., the posts.)
  • Jamal
    Update: the disk was full again. I'll have to clear out a lot more files than I did last time. With uploads turned off I didn't think we'd fill up the disk again so quickly.

This is something of a relief, as it means there is nothing more worrying happening than what happened last time.
  • Baden

We shouldn't have added much at all (without uploads) since the last clear out. It's just text, right? So, I don't get why it's filling up so quickly. And if it keeps doing that, it won't be long until there's nothing left to clear out.
  • Jamal

Adrian thinks it's partly because the posts on this forum are especially large. But it's mostly uploads. When I deleted the big ones I freed up some space but not enough.
  • Baden

I daren't look at my probably-by-now decimated post history. Oh, Michael Bay, where art thou?
  • Amity
    There's a risk that Plush, our current platform, will cease operating before we manage to set up a new forum and move all the data across, so I've tried to ensure the community doesn't fall apartJamal

Ah, OK. That makes sense. I had thought that our personal data might be accessed/compromised.
    I don't know much about the safe and sound concerns you mentioned when it comes to forums.
    Good Luck with sorting things out :sparkle:
  • Jamal

I don’t know if we’re safe and sound yetJamal

I wanted to say I didn’t know if we were out of the woods yet but I was worried that was just a Britishism that nobody else would understand. I was just referring to what seemed to be ongoing problems when I wrote the post.
  • fdrake
    I prefer to take time to read, think and write calmly and carefully. So, 'more dynamic' holds no attraction.Amity

It's pretty much the same as this forum, just with a different interface.
  • Amity
    Got ya'! 'Safe and sound' is a good enough expression but it raised my worried eyebrows and blood pressure :smile:

You're right. I didn't realise that some widnae ken whit it ment!

The phrase “out of the woods” is a common English idiom that is used to describe a situation where someone has overcome a difficult or dangerous challenge. This can refer to anything from recovering from an illness or injury, to solving a complex problem, or escaping danger.

Synonyms

Out of danger
    Safe and sound
    Free from harm
    Secure
    In the clear
    Past the worst
    Beyond trouble
    In good shape again
    Understanding 'out of the woods' idiom
  • Amity
    It's pretty much the same as this forum, just with a different interface.fdrake

Can a screenshot be taken so I can see what you're all talking about?
  • Michael
    I use Discord for work so I avoid it otherwise.
  • Amity
    Thanks but all I see is messaging. So, yeah, 'dynamic' just like TPF Shoutbox.
    Nothing like:
    I prefer to take time to read, think and write calmly and carefully. So, 'more dynamic' holds no attraction.Amity
    Still, worth having as a temporary measure :up:
    I doubt I will use it.
    OK, must get on with...other stuff. It's been interesting :cool:
  • javi2541997
    The active-shoutbox-user is a paid job, so Discord is definitely a good choice in my most humble opinion. :smile:
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    We shouldn't have added much at all (without uploads) since the last clear out. It's just text, right? So, I don't get why it's filling up so quickly.Baden

Obviously, size is measured by the importance of the content, and my posts are larger than anyone else. (Give me a Trump role.)
  • Outlander
    "Whoops...
    Unable to accept invite"

You know, I can't say I appreciate my emotions being toyed with to such a degree.

(though that's probably per reason of the industry standard of getting users to "have to" physically download an app that can access your full operating system for reasons buried in the T&C they'd hesitate and prefer not to be open about)

More seriously however,
    There's a risk that Plush, our current platform, will cease operatingJamal

Is this insider knowledge or perhaps independent research or mere pessimistic speculation?

Invision Power Board is largely tolerable. Lots of extra bells and whistles, as well as "mods" or "add-ons" you can install. Mainly gimmicky things like a "Forum Battle" system, Arcade, etc., but also neat features like a Gallery and Member Blogs. I actually ran a somewhat-active (albeit embarrassingly short-lived) community using IPB in the late 2000s. It was fun.

But yeah I really like Plush now thanks to your site. Incredibly simple yet incredibly functional. And quite purdy if I do say so myself.

Edit: Apparently it works fine if I right click > New Private Window for some reason.
  • BC
    What are we at risk from?Amity

Brain worms, mostly. Robotic devils, viruses up the ying yang, subversives of every variety -- nothing too unusual. Dark mode is very dark, indeed -- an outcropping of the dark web.

Personally, I resent having to deal with yet another sign-in rigamarole. It wanted a password. Safari produced a non-memorable password, but doesn't seem to have put it anywhere. Now I'm stuck. Fuck.
  • BC
    I used up my available chances to edit my account, so now I have to wait 3 days. Fine. 3 days, 3 years, whatever. Screw it.
  • Amity
    :lol: So damned funny. Now at great risk of dying from laughter.
    Worried where this might lead...a nasty bout of Zeuxis-Chrysippusitis? Fuck :mask:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.