• Lionino
    broken link
  • Vera Mont
    Boston Legal, for the fourth time, I think. Still relevant. Bonus: the DVD's come in those old-fashioned bifold cases that let the disc go and accept it back in again, without falling apart in your hand.
  • punos
    Just going to place this right here and slowly walk away:
  • T Clark
    Just watched "Patterson" with Adam Driver. A sweet, understated, lovely little movie. I can't remember when I've watched another I enjoyed more. I haven't seen Driver in anything else, but he was wonderful in this.
  • javi2541997
    @T Clark

Hey, Clarky. After having a good marathon of only Japanese films this weekend, I would like to recommend you to watch 'Warm Water Under A Red Bridge'. It is the weirdest Japanese film I have ever seen. It is intellectually funny, and the dialogues are awesome. Another remarkable fact is that it was the last film directed by Shohei Imamura.
    I remember you told me that you had a special channel called 'Criterion' which includes Japanese films. I hope that channel has this film. I personally believe you will like it.

• T Clark

I'll check to see if it is available. Thanks.
  • Lionino

This watch should be recommended for everyone in STEM. It helps bring so many concepts together.
  • jorndoe
    We watched Dark Matter (2024).
    It's an adventure into many-worlds quantum mechanics, though cross-world interaction can take place; has creative observer effects, superposition, all that.
    "You are made by the choices you make" could be a sub-title, except all choices are made, including some that make you an enemy of yourself (make that enemies (plural) of yourselves).
    Has dark tones to it, visually well-made, better entertainment than "The Apprentice", but your mileage may vary.
  • jorndoe
    Watched Civil War (2024).

Nothing glorious about war, absurdity of human crap, ... Bits and pieces captured by the photojournalists who are the main characters. Ranges from tranquil town, through city unrest, executions, mad racists, to :fire: destruction, affecting our reporters. Don't know about the general storyline (maybe with more details), but some snippets/sounds are realistic enough.

Short 1m:37s music score
  • Lionino
    Isn't The Matrix about vegetarianism?
  • John McMannis
    I just finished watching the two Dune movies. Not bad.
  • javi2541997
    The Eel is another good film by Shohei Imamura. Since I know Clarky (@T Clark) is another fan of Japanese films, I recommend you watch it whenever you can. Cheers.

• T Clark
    Clarky (@T Clark) is another fan of Japanese filmsjavi2541997

I wouldn't call myself a fan in particular. I got a subscription to The Criterion Channel and there are a lot of them there. They really love Godzilla and all the various Japanese sequals. My favorite movie so far has been "Tampopo," and I have enjoyed the Zatoichi series. I tend to get lost with the slice of life comedies and dramas.
  • javi2541997
    I wouldn't call myself a fan in particular.T Clark

Yes, I knew you were not a fan in particular, but I will consider you my partner when it comes to Japanese films, and I vow to recommend you some of them frequently. :smile:
  • Jamal
    To those who have seen Tarkovsky's Solaris: what do you make of the surprisingly long (even for Tarkovsky, I think) bit where the ex-pilot Burton is in a car going through a big city, along motorways, overpasses and tunnels?

Normally I like the slow stuff in Tarkovsky, but this seems awkward and perplexing. The sounds, which I think are meant to be futuristic, do not even seem to match the familiar urban scene.

It ends with an abrupt cut to the wildflower meadow at Kelvin's house (which looks exactly like a Russian dacha), so it looks like a juxtaposition between inhuman modernity and bucolic serenity, but it still seems odd. My guess is that in fact, Tarkovsky made do with footage that did not turn out as well as he'd imagined.
  • T Clark
    I vow to recommend you some of them frequently.javi2541997

Your recommendations are always welcome.
  • Moliere

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096251/
    Technically I just finished it, but it was interesting enough to share.

NSFW whatsoever tho
  • tim wood
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDAbNaF6EYQ

"The Promise of Living" from The Tender Land
  • javi2541997

Hello Clarky and welcome to another Saturday of film recommendations. I bring a beautiful film from Iran. Although I am aware that Iranian films are spectacular, I am not very familiar with them. 

I watched Taste of Cherry (طعم گیلاس..., Ta’m-e gīlās...) by Abbas Kiarostami. The film won the Palme d'Or at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival. 

Plot: Badii drives around Teheran looking for someone who can help him to do a job for him: assisting him to commit suicide. While the driveway, he met different people who had philosophical conversations with.

• T Clark

As usual, your recommendations are appreciated.
  • SophistiCat
    Just watched "Patterson" with Adam Driver. A sweet, understated, lovely little movie. I can't remember when I've watched another I enjoyed more. I haven't seen Driver in anything else, but he was wonderful in this.T Clark

:up: One of my favorite Jarmusch movies.
  • SophistiCat
    Shohei Imamurajavi2541997

I have seen his Narayama and nothing else, I think. That one was very impressive.
  • SophistiCat
    To those who have seen Tarkovsky's Solaris: what do you make of the surprisingly long (even for Tarkovsky, I think) bit where the ex-pilot Burton is in a car going through a big city, along motorways, overpasses and tunnels?

Normally I like the slow stuff in Tarkovsky, but this seems awkward and perplexing. The sounds, which I think are meant to be futuristic, do not even seem to match the familiar urban scene.

It ends with an abrupt cut to the wildflower meadow at Kelvin's house (which looks exactly like a Russian dacha), so it looks like a juxtaposition between inhuman modernity and bucolic serenity, but it still seems odd. My guess is that in fact, Tarkovsky made do with footage that did not turn out as well as he'd imagined.
    Jamal

I thought so too when I watched it. Tarkovsky does have such inexplicable longueurs here and there.
  • T Clark
    One of my favorite Jarmusch movies.SophistiCat

I don't usually pay attention to who directs what. Can you recommend some others by Jarmusch.
  • SophistiCat
    Checking with IMDB, I didn't even realize how many Jarmusch films I have seen! Some I barely remember, but I do remember that all of them were enjoyable.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984)
    Down by Law (1986)
    Night on Earth (1991)
    Dead Man (1995)
    Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)
    Broken Flowers (2005)
    Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
  • T Clark
    Down by Law (1986)
    Night on Earth (1991)
    Dead Man (1995)
    Broken Flowers (2005)
    SophistiCat

I subscribe to the Criterion Channel. That's an artsy-fartsy streaming service in the US. It has a lot of these available.
  • SophistiCat
    I know Criterion, though I am not yet a subscriber. Used to rent Criterion tapes and then DVDs in my formative years.

I would say Jarmusch is one of the more accessible artsy-fartsy auteurs.
  • T Clark
    I am not yet a subscriber.SophistiCat

I haven't watched movies much for the last 15 or 20 years, either in person or at home. I just lost interest and found most of them unsatisfying. I subscribed to Criterion back in January and it has changed my habits. I still don't watch a lot, but there are so many movies and so little crap I've been able to find interesting choices. About $11/month is a reasonable price. I would drop Netflix if it were my choice, but my wife likes it. With Amazon, I like free shipping.
  • javi2541997
    Indeed. Imamura's films are quite impressive, and they tend to break away from traditional Japanese filming. Even their characters are very remarkable and when I watch them I say: 'yes, it is clear that I am watching an Imamura film'.

Making friends with an eel in jail. Only a Japanese man could ever think about that. :sweat:
  • Jamal
    Down by Law (1986)
    Night on Earth (1991)
    Dead Man (1995)
    Broken Flowers (2005)
    SophistiCat

I like Ghost Dog (1999) as well.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.