• n1tr0z3n
    Who is to suggest what education we should achieve? Why do we have to learn what we do? What effect does it have in our life? What effect will it have in creating our future? In the time of making decisions, which path will it make us take?

Our choices are nothing more than a result of our experience, and our experience certainly affects our brain, our choices, our decision making process due to the change of thoughts in our consciousness. Now to make a certain decision, to ensure that we don’t fall onto a curse, shouldn’t our knowledge be certain, to perfectly decide our choice making in the future? Well, almost all knowledge might have some sort of positive applicability in our lives. But we aren’t certain of the result of the overall. And probably some knowledge won’t even have any value? So what’s the reason of letting it exist?

History, if we think about the moment of Hitler when the Nazis killed thousands of thousands Jews, what idealism about the world does it create in us? When we learn about fabricated political events of the past, doesn’t it mislead our choices and perception in case of the existence of politics and government? So shouldn’t we acknowledge about the things that we are learning, we are perceving before we let it enter our mind? Like filtering out the things a person shouldn’t learn, something that will lead him to make BAD decisions. Because can’t this knowledge actually affect our mindset, our perspective in the overall? Like, when to forgive people and when not to, which decision we should make in which situation, which path should we take? Which rule shall we follow? Our knowledge, the things we learn, in an overall way, does affect us. It affects how we think, how we percieve the world.

So shouldn’t we be considerate when it comes to plan which knowledge to offer? Based on which idealism should a person have on which situation which might lead him/her to take the accurate decision?

Now this concept might actually be the opposite of freedom to someone, but is it ok to let someone make bad decisions and let him get into issues and letting his life get ruined instead of creating a least perfect environment for him? In which he can freely choose which path to take and his choices won’t affect his future decisions. At least for a bit.

There are infinite possible ways to IMPROVE THIS WORLD! Think about Artificial Intelligence, we can use them to describe the possibility of that person falling into a certain decision point, and which idea does that person have to have to make a nearly accurate decision in that point? It's not just our knowledge, it's creating a nearly perfect environment for the people.
  • Possibility
    Who is to suggest what education we should achieve? Why do we have to learn what we do? What effect does it have in our life? What effect will it have in creating our future? In the time of making decisions, which path will it make us take?

Our choices are nothing more than a result of our experience, and our experience certainly affects our brain, our choices, our decision making process due to the change of thoughts in our consciousness. Now to make a certain decision, to ensure that we don’t fall onto a curse, shouldn’t our knowledge be certain, to perfectly decide our choice making in the future? Well, almost all knowledge might have some sort of positive applicability in our lives. But we aren’t certain of the result of the overall. And probably some knowledge won’t even have any value? So what’s the reason of letting it exist?
    n1tr0z3n

Do you really believe that by limiting knowledge, we increase certainty? All that does is ensure our choice appears to be a perfect decision - until we’ve made it. Our minds are not the same as computers - knowledge without significance is quickly relegated. It’s not a matter of letting it exist, but attributing significance, value, potential. But this attribution is naturally uncertain - we should always be prepared to make adjustments and seek more information as required.

History, if we think about the moment of Hitler when the Nazis killed thousands of thousands Jews, what idealism about the world does it create in us? When we learn about fabricated political events of the past, doesn’t it mislead our choices and perception in case of the existence of politics and government? So shouldn’t we acknowledge about the things that we are learning, we are perceving before we let it enter our mind? Like filtering out the things a person shouldn’t learn, something that will lead him to make BAD decisions. Because can’t this knowledge actually affect our mindset, our perspective in the overall? Like, when to forgive people and when not to, which decision we should make in which situation, which path should we take? Which rule shall we follow? Our knowledge, the things we learn, in an overall way, does affect us. It affects how we think, how we percieve the world.n1tr0z3n

How do we judge a ‘bad’ decision? How can we predict one, or what are the conditions in which we are more inclined to make a ‘bad’ decision than a ‘good’ one? How can we answer these questions without learning something that could lead us to make ‘bad’ decisions? I don’t think that learning about Hitler and the Holocaust, for instance, creates any particular idealism about the world - I think that very much depends on the rest of our experiences, and the context of the learning process.

What we should be learning is not just about isolated facts and figures, but about our capacity and limitations in determining truth and value from information. In a world where so much data is now freely available without filter or governance, calling for censorship is unrealistic. That horse has bolted.

So shouldn’t we be considerate when it comes to plan which knowledge to offer? Based on which idealism should a person have on which situation which might lead him/her to take the accurate decision?n1tr0z3n

I will admit here that my own education (and that of my children) has not been without ideological bias, especially in the early years. I think that ideology can be an effective scaffolding of awareness, connection and collaboration, but it should be tempered with developing critical thinking, scientific method, broadening awareness and a healthy dose of skepticism. Otherwise it cannot lead to an ‘accurate’ decision, just a prevailing illusion of certainty.

Now this concept might actually be the opposite of freedom to someone, but is it ok to let someone make bad decisions and let him get into issues and letting his life get ruined instead of creating a least perfect environment for him? In which he can freely choose which path to take and his choices won’t affect his future decisions. At least for a bit.

There are infinite possible ways to IMPROVE THIS WORLD! Think about Artificial Intelligence, we can use them to describe the possibility of that person falling into a certain decision point, and which idea does that person have to have to make a nearly accurate decision in that point? It's not just our knowledge, it's creating a nearly perfect environment for the people.
    n1tr0z3n

It’s not about creating a ‘nearly perfect’ environment. People need to learn where their own limits are, and why there are limits. And they need to be responsible for them.

If you filter out all the things that you predict will lead people to make ‘bad’ decisions, you’re limiting their capacity not only to be aware of the world, but also to confidently predict the difference between ‘good’ decisions and ‘bad’. If you never let them discover that your imposed limits are not their limits (which should start around the age of two), you teach them to expect a perfect environment available for them. Any decision they make that leads to a less than perfect outcome will then be your fault for failing to create perfection - even though you know they’re more than capable not only of thriving in this nearly perfect environment you’ve carefully fashioned, but one that’s far less perfect. If only they knew.

So, when you finally let them see the real world, they don’t know how to tell ‘good’ decisions from ‘bad’ ones. They only know how to blame you for their suffering.

Education is about scaffolding an increasing capacity for awareness, connection and collaboration. I think it’s important to give someone enough information to make ‘bad’ decisions as well as ‘good’ ones, as long as they also have enough information to confidently tell the difference.
  • TheMadFool
    How to change the world?

A tough question to answer because though it may be tempting to think there's a one-size-fits-all answer, each of the myriad problems the world faces - from poverty to pollution and everything in between - seem to have unique features (causes, perpetuating factors, etc.) that preculdes any kind of success where success is defined as above - one solution for all our problems. And I haven't yet mentioned how these problems form a tangled ball of complex interactions that display diabolical synergy - problems spawning or complexifying other problems - that all together point to only one future for the entire world, a catastrophic one. Mind the hyperbole.

As far as I can tell, I'm optimistic when I look in the rear-view mirror. The world has a good track record when it comes to positive change - slavery is now history, global literacy rates are allegedly higher, morbidity and mortality statistics were better until the COVID - 19 pandemic took the world by storm, the overall situation for women is better though there's room for improvement, political freedom has reached new heights, and so on. The world has come a long way, the winds of change have swept through all nations and it feels right to pat ourselves on the back for making it this far.

I shift my gaze now from the rear-view mirror and look around and at the road ahead and come to the realization that these positive changes have yet to touch the lives of people in some regions of the world, even as we enter the second decade of the 21st century. Such inequity is proof that change ain't easy, it takes decades and even centuries to bring about even the slightest shift in mindsets and attitudes, key drivers of change. The world as it is now is, some say, in the grips of an overall outlook that's going to prove to be our undoing. What exactly this outlook is I'm not sure but the pundits seem quite certain that the path the world is on ends in disaster. I can feel the first signs of pessimism set in.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment