• frank

Trump's going to win, then Vance. Vance will change the presidential term limits and rule for the rest of his life.
  • RogueAI
    Nobody cares about Covid anymore. I doubt he even has it. I think he's holing up in preparation for dropping out this weekend. Maybe he'll say Covid convinced him he's too old to campaign.
  • RogueAI
    What's undemocratic about a candidate dropping out because of health reasons? Shit happens.
  • frank

If Harris runs in his place, she'll lose.
  • RogueAI
    Probably. But apparently there's some internal polling Democrats have that has convinced them Biden will not only lose, but cost them the House and Senate.
  • frank

Pelosi told Biden this. He pushed back.
  • NOS4A2

What's undemocratic about a candidate dropping out because of health reasons? Shit happens.

His party is telling him to step aside because he’s doing bad in the polls, and for no other reason.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/17/politics/nancy-pelosi-biden-conversation/index.html
  • javi2541997
    How the Japanese look at US politics. (comic in recent Tokyo newspaper)

ym8nji7et9dd1.png
  • NOS4A2

Trump's going to win, then Vance. Vance will change the presidential term limits and rule for the rest of his life.

Trump isn’t going to win. Biden campaigned from his bunker, drew crowds of max. 50 people at his rallies, was the first virtual candidate, and for some strange reason got the most votes in US history. Never underestimate the corrupt abilities of his party.
  • RogueAI
    His party is telling him to step aside because he’s doing bad in the polls, and for no other reason.NOS4A2

No other reason? Do you think the NYTimes is telling him to drop out simply because he's "doing bad in the polls"? Biden is unfit to run. He's unfit to be president. The debate was horrifying.
  • NOS4A2

It isn’t up to the New York Times who runs, is it?
  • RogueAI
    What do you mean by "his party"? Liberal media like CNN, MSNBC, NYTimes is certainly a big part of the Democratic party.
  • NOS4A2

I’m not sure what you’re getting at when you start speaking in questions. The NYT argued Biden should step aside because he might lose to Trump, not for any democratic reason.
  • RogueAI
    The NYT argued Biden should step aside because he might lose to Trump, not for any democratic reason.NOS4A2

There is no "democratic reason" for Biden to step aside, except maybe that 70% of Democrats wanting him gone, but that wasn't the Times' point. The NYTimes wants him out because he's in such bad shape:

"The president appeared on Thursday night as the shadow of a great public servant. He struggled to explain what he would accomplish in a second term. He struggled to respond to Mr. Trump’s provocations. He struggled to hold Mr. Trump accountable for his lies, his failures and his chilling plans. More than once, he struggled to make it to the end of a sentence."

Which was my point. This isn't just about polls. Biden is unfit.
  • NOS4A2

That’s just not the case. They weren’t describing his fitness; they were describing his debate performance. They don’t seem to care that no one is leading the country, that a dementia patient holds the nuclear codes. They want him out because they think he’s going to lose.

Mr. Biden answered an urgent question on Thursday night. It was not the answer that he and his supporters were hoping for. But if the risk of a second Trump term is as great as he says it is — and we agree with him that the danger is enormous — then his dedication to this country leaves him and his party only one choice.

The clearest path for Democrats to defeat a candidate defined by his lies is to deal truthfully with the American public: acknowledge that Mr. Biden can’t continue his race, and create a process to select someone more capable to stand in his place to defeat Mr. Trump in November.

It is the best chance to protect the soul of the nation — the cause that drew Mr. Biden to run for the presidency in 2019 — from the malign warping of Mr. Trump. And it is the best service that Mr. Biden can provide to a country that he has nobly served for so long.
  • ssu
    First it was Schiff, then it was Chuck Schumer who have pushed to Biden to give up his candidacy.
    But the Democrats have really a problem even this way, because in this age of DEI, they simply cannot bypass a black female vice president.

Well, the Democrats will loose just like the Conservative party lost in the UK. Perhaps it's not going to be such a loss as the Conservatives had (worst election defeat in 190 years), but still.
  • frank
    Trump isn’t going to win. Biden campaigned from his bunker, drew crowds of max. 50 people at his rallies, was the first virtual candidate, and for some strange reason got the most votes in US history. Never underestimate the corrupt abilities of his party.NOS4A2

So you predict a Biden win. I'll take it. Trump isolated himself until he was just flailing. Biden at least can gather a group capable of doing the job.
  • 180 Proof
    18July24
    Trump isn’t going to win. — NOS4A2
    Yeah, buddy! JD Vance is the *misogynistic gift* that will keep on giving. More of the Ultra-MAGA Hillbilly speaking in public, please. :clap:

Roevember is coming! :victory: :mask:
  • javi2541997
    How the Japanese look at US politics.javi2541997

I don’t get why the Republican shakes woman’s hands and in the Democrat cartoon there are apartments. Does this imply that Republicans are as friendly with women as Democrats are with town planning?
  • Lionino
    That is simply perfectly accurate — ten years ago. Nowadays both sides are the left side.

Vance will change the presidential term limits and rule for the rest of his life.frank

Finally. Total Vance dictatorship. Yay!
  • NOS4A2

I suspect they will cheat or assassinate or jail their opponent in Stalinist fashion.
  • frank
    I suspect they will cheat or assassinate or jail their opponent in Stalinist fashion.NOS4A2

The world is full of angry, bitter people. Each one thinks his cries mean something. :razz:
  • Mikie
    A lot of very authoritative, certain, confident predictions about who will win in November. All worth exactly nothing.

No one knows what will happen. Least of all political hobbyists.
  • Mikie
    The RNC. What a group of winners.

The whole platform is based on delusions. Examples:

——
    There is no invasion at the border, and immigrants are a net good for the country. You’ll hear exactly the opposite.

The economy is as good or better than under Trump — but you’ll hear the opposite.

Crime is down, not up.

Climate change is real, not a Chinese hoax.

We’re pumping more oil and gas now than ever, not less. (Unfortunately.)

The 2020 election was one of, if not the most, secure in history.

January 6th was an insurrection — the crowd’s goal was to stop the counting of electoral votes, based on the lie that it was a “stolen election” (see above).

Donald Trump was one of the worst, if not the worst, president in history.
    ——

Just some basic facts. But in Trump world, where literally everything is inverted, Trump does nothing wrong, the election was stolen, the January 6th criminals are heroes, etc.

So what’s left? Tax cuts and destroying government (besides the parts that corporate America likes)? Ugh…
  • Wayfarer
    I agree with every word, but it probably belongs in the Trump thread.

It seems the gig is up for Biden, he's going to announce 'the passing of the torch' this weekend (to put a positive spin on it.) For the time being, the nominee designate will probably remain Kamala Harris, but if the Democratic National Committee so decides, there will be an open convention beginning Aug 19th and another Presidential nominee might be chosen. Me, I don't think Kamala Harris would be a winning choice, but I can think of some. As I've said before, I think the electorate is crying out for an alternative to Trump v Biden, and if a credible candidate is presented, it might generate a big uptick.

I hope, anyway.
  • Benkei
    Mr "absolute free speech" complains about people saying Biden should withdraw and calls it undemocratic. The hypocrisy. :rofl:
  • Echarmion
    His party is telling him to step aside because he’s doing bad in the polls, and for no other reason.NOS4A2

Isn't that the most democratic reason you can have?
  • NOS4A2

He already won the primary election, meaning he has already been chosen to be the candidate. That simply cannot be erased because he is not winning in the general.
  • Echarmion
    He already won the primary election, meaning he has already been chosen to be the candidate. That simply cannot be erased because he is not winning in the general.NOS4A2

You're talking about the procedure.

But the reason given does sound entirely democratic to me. People don't want to vote for him, therefore he shouldn't run.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.