• universeness
    I like new words. I like the thoughts behind them. What is your best attempt at making a new word, in any language. Offer the word and it's meaning. Y'now. stuff like 'frenemy' or 'imagineer' etc.
    My recent choice, was something I said in jest to a friend during a recent drinking session, whilst struggling for a word to explain how his story was making me feel. I said, don't ....... WARIFY me.
    I was trying to express a feeling that his words were making me feel so violent towards the group of people he was talking about (the super-rich), that I wanted to war with them. I had been 'whiskified' at the time. Warified and Whiskified are thus my two new words for now. I am sure TPF folks and all the deep thinking they do can come up with much better than these two!
  • Jamal
    WARIFYuniverseness

Good one.

I sometime explain away my obnoxious behaviour by saying I’m just being scraptious. I think it’s a combination of scrappy and captious.

I also use “falafel” to mean faff/hassle.
  • universeness
    scraptiousJamal

:grin: I like it. Sounds to me like it has some common ground with my 'warify.' 'A scrap' is often used as a phrase that can mean a fight, So scraptious gives me another image of being incited to violence. But why was 'a scrap' related to fighting? I always associated scrap with a metal that is available for recycling. :chin:
    Do you know how it became associated with fighting?
    I think new words demonstrate new/original human thinking, do you agree or do you think it's just recycled old thinking, like repurposed scrap? I don't want to sound 'scraptious' here! You know! Like scrap with a meaningful but threatening caption underpinning it! :lol:
  • Nils Loc
    Enpuddlement, or to be enpuddled, though I'm not sure how to give it the proper prefix without a professional linguist. Latin suggestions are instagni/instagnum.

Literally means getting stuck in or physically/mentally captured by a puddle. Elephants get stuck and die in sinkholes, as youtube shows us. Insects trapped in amber to be fossilized into gems have been enpuddled.

Philosophers are continually enpuddled by problems (puddles) they can't help stomping around in, like children stomping around in puddles.

Be careful stomping in a puddle. You never know how deep it is.

Never dive into a puddle assuming you've guessed its depth. The seemingly shallow can be deep and contrariwise.

For some unlucky organisms, to be enpuddled is to be annihilated/entombed.

I guess the term partially stems from the childhood fascination for being stuck in quicksand.

v0Rb0kP.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.