• 180 Proof
    Kastrup on RovelliWayfarer
    vs Rovelli on Kastrup ...
  • Wayfarer
    He’s talking about Donald Hoffman…. does he get to Kastrup? I’m a bit dubious about Hoffman’s use of the term ‘reality’. I think his book should be called ‘The Case Against Realism’.

I don’t know if I agree with Rovelli’s argument that the subject is also a construct. The ego may be a construct but the subject is not only ego.

Interesting discussion, thanks…Curt’s channel has a lot of great content.
  • 180 Proof
    Yes, Hoffman rather than Kastrup. Sorry, I often mix-up antirealists. Anyway, I thought Rovelli's comments on "the subject" "ideas" "relations" "noumena / ultimate reality" etc would interest you. I agree with Rovelli that mentality is at least as constructed as non-mentality based on evidence from neuropathology and psychopharmacology how "the subject" (i.e. self-awareness & judgment) are easily modified, or impaired, by non-mental stressors (e.g. toxins, traumas).
  • Wayfarer
    It is of interest, and I think Rovelli's persona is appealing. But I'm dubious about his philosophical stance.

The question as to the subjective element of perception reminds me of this figure from John Wheeler's article Law without Law:

sg9tu92sh2hjq6ih.png

My argument is that empirical observation has an irreducibly subjective constituent, which is not itself disclosed in empirical observation. Put another way, a subject is always implicit in every judgement, even if the object in question is apparently 'mind-independent'.
  • 180 Proof
    As an anti-supernaturalist I can agree with your assumption without inconsistency.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.