• DeGregePorcus
    Philosophy 101 reminds us that Thales believed the arge was water, Heraclitus believed it was fire, Anaximenes believed it was air, no one believed it was earth but the Parmenidian weltanschaung (forgive me if I mispelled it) could fit earth as Parmenides' arge, Empedocles believed air, water, fire and earth were the four building elements of reality... Some say it was Xenophanes who blieved it was earth... I've done the stretch to assign philosophers to wood and metal (oriental substitutes for air) but I am having trouble summarizing Anaximenes as a philosopher whose school of thought was worthwhile, ditto for Thales, I will be working on using elemental superheroes to teach ancient philosophy but I am far away from my university's books and hoped I could get assistance from people that have studied philosophy, even better if unlike me they did graduate from it. I am facing Anaximenes and Thales as the greatest challenges, as well as Empedocles, the value of Parmenides and Hraclitus is just too obvious to miss. So just to begin, what about Anaximenes and Thales would you teach to kids? and how? (by the way, hi, I am new to these forums as you may have noticed, I googled for philosophy forums and found this and another one whose format reminded me of dragonsfoot where ad&d is discussed so I let my worrying about philosophasters and ventured in with this question, I also abandoned my fears that sharing my project may lead to copycats, after all, its how i handle the project what should make it unique, I had hoped I would find the level and answers I am looking for but the discussions over there were low brow and even the mods trolled, so I am having greater hopes for this site since it can't be as bad as that one).
  • javi2541997
    Hello! Welcome abroad.

It is interesting meeting a teacher who teaches philosophy to Kids. I guess it is a complex challenge but beautiful. I think the best way of teaching Thales and Anaximenes is through some pictures of what each philosopher established in the Ancient Greece.
    For example, if I think about Thales I will show a huge ocean and explain with metaphors or basic words to make understand them why Thales thought water is the beginning
    If we are speaking about Anaximenes I will put a picture of an island in the far away. Why? Because that's represents air. The horizon. Distance between us and the unknown. This is why air is so important to us. Also as Anaximenes defended we cannot live without it. So you can put the example of just breathing.

These are random ideas but I guess the point is trying to teach philosophy to Kids through pictures and visual examples.
  • DeGregePorcus
    I am not really a teacher, i never graduated from philosophy but I really love it and believe everyone should be a philosopher-sovereign, with sovereignty understood as participation in one's civic duties to control one's country as part of the aggregate of citizens of said country. I would use your approach in a classroom but I am a writer and trying to teach through a trade picutre book or similar outlet, basically, through picture books or through comics. I can teach that for Thales the arge was water and for Anaximenes it was air... but... Why where those two so important if both got it all so wrong? What wre the benefits of their mistakes? I am trying to find a good reason for children to respect those two philosophers. I respect the presocratics more than i respect Socrates, but a quick glance and it seems that neither Thales nor Anaximenes contributed something of value to philosophy, as i am seeing it, they both delayed the advancement of philosophy, but I feel i am wrong. If anyone is willing to prove me wrong with good arguments I would appreciate it.
  • DeGregePorcus
    oh, and thanks for your answer.
  • javi2541997
    Why where those two so important if both got it all so wrong? What wre the benefits of their mistakes? I am trying to find a good reason for children to respect those two philosophers
    @DeGregePorcus

They are important because Thales and Anaximenes were the first thinkers of our era or occidental thought. Philosophy was born in Greece because they did not have a clear religion so they were dree to debate or think of everything. This base is so important to evolve as a human. They posted the bases of how to develop our human knowledge. It is true that probably their criteria looks like so simple but it is still important. When Thales said the beginning was water or Anaximenes was air they are not wrong at all... We can't life without those. Water and air (oxygen) is important. This is the reason why they started a fundamental theory: Believe in power of knowledge and explain what is around us instead of myths or "God"
  • DeGregePorcus
    That sounds Nietzschean, while not a fan of Nietzsche I see your point, yeah, I think i can work with that, I will still appreciate other contribution if anyone wants to give it, but i can work with the Nitzchean premise for both Thales and Anaximenes. Thanks.
  • DeGregePorcus
    oh, by the way, i found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6S9ppPTJUw I read elsewhere you are a Spaniard, does that university has any good reputation or i must be careful of that video?
  • javi2541997

Yes. It is one of the hardest universities in Spain. Their content has a lot of quality related to scientific research so the reputation is good.
    My mum did the PhD in Criminal law there and I remember it was full of clever people and the process was very tough.
  • DeGregePorcus
    oh great, since it was a university that taught from afar I was afraid they weren't reliable, I mean, had the video credited Salamanca university as its source and the source of its professors i would have immediately sadi, this is gold, but I am biased against universities that do not have "clases presenciales". Thanks again for your answer.
  • javi2541997

True they do not have "clases presenciales" because supposedly it is made for someone who is working and wants to study at the same time. I think it is a good criteria to help those who can't go to class
  • DeGregePorcus
    at the other philosophy forum I was told that I could finish my studies in that kind of university, but I was simultaneously insulted in being told that I am a basement dweller, but you are making me wonder if that university accepts students who aren't from Spain,
  • javi2541997
    but you are making me wonder if that university accepts students who aren't from Spain,

Yes. They accept international students. But if you are from Anglo-Saxon country I guess you have to present some "papers". For example, if you passed high school, the marks, criteria of the quality etc... All that documentation stuff (I was being asked for this stuff back in the day too)
    Well you are free to send a message if you want here:

Also the official page: https://www.uned.es/universidad/inicio.html
  • DeGregePorcus
    I am Peruvian, thanks for the links.
  • javi2541997

Entonces no tendrás problemas en absoluto.
    I guess you will not have any kind of problems.

Un gran saludo a Perú desde Madrid.
  • DeGregePorcus
    Muchas gracias, un gran saludo para ti también.
  • Mww
    I really love it and believe everyone should be a philosopher-sovereignDeGregePorcus

If everybody should be a philosophy-sovereign......how could it be taught? That which is taught is philosophizing by one to the receptivity of another; that which makes one sovereign belongs to him alone and therefore never is passed to him, but originates in him.

So just to begin, what about Anaximenes and Thales would you teach to kids?DeGregePorcus

Whatever they are capable of understanding. Whatever that is won’t make them philosopher-sovereign, but only give historical background. Such instruction could still serve as ground for it.

For what it’s worth.....
  • DeGregePorcus
    I believe your understanding of soveriagnty isn't what was Rousseau's or that of other believers in the social contract, but concentrating on that is derailing the topic, which is Anaximenes and Thales and their worth as philosophers, I guess your point is that their worth is merely historical.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.