• RogueAI
    I can see why no one takes you seriously.
  • NOS4A2

I’ll let you know when your opinion means anything.
  • Isaac
    But this is a game you are only too willing to play. Play with yourself I'm done.Fooloso4

Its only ever a game I play with myself. It's become a grim fascination, watching idiots tie themselves in knots desperately trying to sustain the increasingly baroque fairytales the latest opinion piece from Warmongers Weekly The Atlantic tells them.

This latest turn is exquisite. The resurgence of the "I'm not talking to you!" reposte, from its previous stronghold in the playgrounds of our nation's primary schools. What scholars the recently potty-trained will now seem.
  • Isaac
    For anyone not yet suckling at David Frum's teat (freshly washed, I note, of Iraqi blood), it's worth noting that this policy has form in my country. Our own Harold Wilson was deemed by the establishment to be 'a bit too left wing' for their liking and as such a smear campaign (at the very least) was instigated to unseat him, based entirely on the same bogeyman - the dreaded Russia. After 70 years of such devastating plotting, it's a wonder they haven't taken over the world yet.
  • Michael
    Brave = dodging the draft because of bonespurs?RogueAI

People shouldn’t be demonised for trying to avoid going to war.
  • RogueAI
    I’ll let you know when your opinion means anything.NOS4A2

You're right, that was uncalled for. Sorry.

Doesn't Trump's stolen election BS bother you a lot though? You don't believe that crap, right?
  • Wayfarer
    Things are not looking so good for Trump and he looks it.Fooloso4

Aside from trying to exploit his notoriety to part suckers from their money, Trump is fantasising about the spectacle of being forced into the 'perp walk':

Donald J. Trump claims he is ready for his perp walk.

Behind closed doors at Mar-a-Lago, the former president has told friends and associates that he welcomes the idea of being paraded by the authorities before a throng of reporters and news cameras. He has even mused openly about whether he should smile for the assembled media, and he has pondered how the public would react and is said to have described the potential spectacle as a fun experience. ...

As he waits for a likely criminal indictment — making him the first current or former American president to face criminal charges — Mr. Trump has often appeared significantly disconnected from the severity of his potential legal woes, according to people who have spent time with him in recent days. He has been spotted zipping around his Palm Beach resort in his golf cart and on one recent evening acted as D.J. at a party with his personally curated Spotify playlists, which often include music from the Rolling Stones to “The Phantom of the Opera.”
    NY Times

He's clearly delusional, but what's depressing is the number of people who get pulled along in the slipstream.
  • NOS4A2

No problem.

There was a massive shadow campaign to alter how the very election was ran, and Big Labor teamed with Big Business and Big Tech to alter election laws, shill for mail in ballots, and of course it favored one candidate over the other.
  • RogueAI
    There is some truth to that. I don't like Facebook throwing money around in the election like that. It favors me now, because I'm liberal leaning, but there may come a time...
  • NOS4A2

Trump himself has vowed to beat the democrats at their own game, and ensured us his campaign will be ballot harvesting and pushing mail-in votes. I guess we’ll see if it works.
  • Fooloso4
    He's clearly delusional, but what's depressing is the number of people who get pulled along in the slipstream.Wayfarer

The desire for a savior is strong. Once found everything is formed and reformed in order to conform to that image. It is fueled by resentment and paranoia that there are powerful forces working against them. Hence the appeal of a strong man who by shear force of will can right the world. Those who do not put him above the law are seen as the enemy harboring sinister intentions. Trump has only to step on stage and play his part.
  • Michael
    There was a massive shadow campaign to alter how the very election was ran, and Big Labor teamed with Big Business and Big Tech to alter election laws, shill for mail in ballots, and of course it favored one candidate over the other.NOS4A2

Yes, because more voters preferred Biden to Trump, and they made it easier for voters to vote. That's a win for democracy. Unless you're going to accuse them of allowing for wide-spread voter fraud that swung the election then this is a really bizarre comment to make.
  • Isaac
    The desire for a savior is strong. Once found everything is formed and reformed in order to conform to that image. It is fueled by resentment and paranoia that there are powerful forces working against them. Hence the appeal of a strong man who by shear force of will can right the world. Those who do not put him above the law are seen as the enemy harboring sinister intentions.Fooloso4

Yeah, don't you hate it when people do that...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.6xcnCqo13cHUr35-x5ut-QHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=7b9bec1b45520c0fdd1b8e59126855533573a527d8256a9a55c76f04828cf487&ipo=images

... Oh, you probably meant the other guy...
  • ssu
    Effectiveness is no measure for leadership, for me anyways, unless one adheres to some statist or collectivist foundation. Hitler was effective. Who cares?NOS4A2
    Uhh... the German people and others too, I guess. So much, that they still have these Hitler-Welles of every generation asking just what the hell hapened with them.

Honestly it was just nice to have someone who wasn’t an utter coward, for a change.NOS4A2

Personally I've never seen such a humiliating performance of fawning and spinelessness from an American President when Putin and Trump met in Helsinki. Trump had to immediately afterwards back away from what he said in the press conference. On the same day afterwards. It was like the leader of the Soviet Union meeting a Warsaw Pact member country leader. Have to say that it was one of the best performances of Putin, he really enjoyed the whole spectacle.

GettyImages-1000209212-e1531765127745.jpg

He reasoned with the Taliban leadership.NOS4A2
    LOL! :rofl:

Trump surrendered to the Taliban. Have you ever read the "peace-deal" done with the Taliban? It basically goes like this: Oh, please, please PLEASE...don't attack us and we will leave you in peace and you can do whatever you want with Afghanistan. If you just put on a charade that you would talk to the government we installed, but that's it and anyway it's not so important.

I bet Kim Il Sung would have accepted a similar peace-deal to end the Korean War, and we wouldn't have been surprised that in a few months South Korea would have collapsed! But hey! Kim Il Sung would not have attacked the US!

And here the best issue is that Biden then continued on with this policy, so obviously people shut up over this as it cannot be taken as an partisan issue to attack the other side. Yes, obviously the Afghan war was a mistake from the start, it was a disaster and the whole reasoning to go to Afghanistan was in error. But really, reasoning with the Taliban???
  • ssu
    And to say something positive about Trump, he did scare the Europeans into thinking of raising the defense expenditure (far more better than Obama had) and warned correctly the Germans about trusting the Russians with their energy needs, but it was only Putin on Feb 24th 2022 who accomplished the turnaround.
  • NOS4A2

It was election interference on a mass scale. They had astroturf protesters ready to riot should Trump have won. After the riots of that year of course the chamber of commerce acquiesced. That’s not democracy; that’s fascism.
  • NOS4A2

You didn’t mention that Trump spoke with Abdul Ghani. That’s because the propaganda you dine on doesn’t tell you these things. The propaganda tells you the deal is bad; you think it’s bad.
  • Fooloso4
    It was election interference on a mass scale.NOS4A2

The accusations continue to appear, but the evidence has not.
  • NOS4A2

It’s by their own admission.
  • Fooloso4

On whose own admission was there election interference on a mass scale? What did they say? Where can we find transcripts?
  • Michael
    It was election interference on a mass scale.NOS4A2

Making it easier for voters to vote isn’t election interference.
  • NOS4A2

Altering state voting laws in the run-up to an election, getting social media to censor opponents, and threatening businesses with an army of astroturf protesters ready to protest the results should Trump win, is election interference.
  • Michael
    Altering state voting laws in the run-up to an election, getting social media to censor opponents, and threatening businesses with an army of astroturf protesters ready to protest the results should Trump win, is election interference.NOS4A2

Making it easier for voters to vote isn’t election interference.

And according to you, it’s impossible to influence another’s choices, so unless you want to make the claim that Trump voters were physical prevented from voting, your claims make no sense.
  • NOS4A2

Oh, it’s all “making it easier for voters to vote”. The censorship, altering state laws, social media censorship all makes sense now.
  • Michael
    Oh, it’s all “making it easier for voters to vote”.NOS4A2

Changing the laws to allow for early mail in ballots and the like is making it easier for voters to vote. It’s not election interference.

The … social media censorship all makes sense now.NOS4A2

According to your own logic this can’t be election interference because it’s impossible to influence another’s decisions, and so censoring a Facebook post isn’t going to dissuade a Trump supporter from voting for Trump.
  • NOS4A2

No matter the explanation they’ve told you and therefor what you’ve come to believe, and no matter how many times you try to invoke “democracy”, altering state election laws, fundamentally changing how voting itself occurs in the run up to the biggest election in US history is interfering in an election in my opinion.

Yeah, you can’t make someone do something with words. But denying people access to information prohibits them from making an informed decision.
  • frank
    Oh, it’s all “making it easier for voters to vote”. The censorship, altering state laws, social media censorship all makes sense now.NOS4A2

There was a little pandemic going on at the time. But yes, the establishment wanted him out. He was too much of a wild card (idiot).
  • Michael
    No matter the explanation they’ve told you and therefor what you’ve come to believe, and no matter how many times you try to invoke “democracy”, altering state election laws, fundamentally changing how voting itself occurs in the run up to the biggest election in US history is interfering in an election in my opinion.NOS4A2

Your opinion is wrong. Making it easier for voters to vote is to the betterment of democracy.

But denying people access to information prohibits them from making an informed decision.NOS4A2

You can’t make an informed decision if you’re being fed misinformation. That would make for a misinformed decision.
  • NOS4A2

Sorry, repeating “democracy” isn’t going to work. They altered laws because it would have otherwise been illegal to do what they did. If Russian tweets and Facebook ads is election interference, then altering the election laws, censoring political opponents, and threatening mass protest and riots should they lose is election interference.

There is really no way to defend censoring information that makes your favorite candidate look bad, so don’t bother.
  • Michael
    They altered laws because it would have otherwise been illegal to do what they did.NOS4A2

Yes, that’s what it means to change a law. This is such absurd rhetoric.

Sorry, repeating “democracy” isn’t going to work.NOS4A2

Sorry, but denying the fact that making it easier for voters to vote is a good thing isn’t going to work.

There is really no way to defend censoring information that makes your favourite candidate look bad, so don’t bother.NOS4A2

I’m not defending it. I’m saying that it isn’t election interference. It doesn’t prevent or make it harder for people to vote, and according to your logic it doesn’t influence voting decisions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.