Akira
    The Shape of Things
    Enter the Dragon
    Gladiator
    Rambo
    Don’t be a Menace to South Central while Drinking Your Juice in the Hood
    What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Tom Storm
    I meander across the eras when it comes to films. But not so much in the last 10-15 years. I'm bored with stories and tired of CGI. I privilege films that have strong visual style and production design. Form Citizen Kane and Singing in the Rain to All that Jazz. I want to look at something visually astonishing. I often watch movies with the sound off. I dislike John Ford not just for his conservative mythmaking tedium, but also the look of those films has dated. The west was dusty and filthy - people stank and looked grimy. Ford's characters all look like they are off to church. Which in a way they are...

I did sit through it, for the sake of my friend, an artist herself, who loved it so much she wanted to see it a third time. Different sensibilities.Vera Mont

Yes, sensibilities. I can't get enough of visual invention - plots don't much interest me. You'd hate Natural Born Killers then? I like that one a lot too. But I think it had to be seen at the time.
  • Mikie
    Being John MalkovichAndrew4Handel

Charlie Kaufman is brilliant and this one is a masterpiece. Thanks for reminding.
  • Maw
    Some of you need to watch more non-American films
  • Maw
    Also check out McCabe and Mrs. Miller and The Great Silence
  • Mikie
    Don’t be a Menace to South Central while Drinking Your Juice in the HoodPinprick

Wtf?
  • Joshs
    ↪T Clark Also check out McCabe and Mrs. Miller and The Great SilenceMaw
    Great score by Leonard Cohen in that first one. What did you think of Brewster McCloud?
  • praxis
    Cinema Paradiso
    The French Lieutenant's Woman
    The Crying Game
    Hamilton
    A Fish Called Wanda
    The Matrix
    Alien
    Bridesmaids
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Blade Runner
  • Moliere
    Many of my favorites have already been said :D

The Last StarfighterT Clark

I wanted to special mention this one, though, because I grew up with that movie (and later read it was the first movie to use CGI effects in it). So it's definitely one of those movies I'll watch but would never recommend unless someone wants to watch a cheesy 80's sci-fi film with me.

EDIT: Over time, this category has grown. There's a lot of movies I grew up with that I enjoy for what they are, but when I think about them now in some aesthetic sense I'm like "ehhhh"
  • Vera Mont
    You'd hate Natural Born Killers then?Tom Storm

Oh yes. But I liked Knives Out andA Perfect Murder For me, it's mostly about the story. Though I do appreciate a nice backdrop and pretty people - like the Austen movie - I get all the gimmicks I need from Sci-Fi.

Some of you need to watch more non-American filmsMaw
    I've only recently come to terms with subtitles. I've liked some Australian films, like Red Dog and of course the visually incomparable Walkabout.

I'll watch but would never recommend unless someone wants to watch a cheesy 80's sci-fi film with me.Moliere
    I'd revisit it. Something I've seen only once, and long enough to forget most of it, would be a nice change.

I can't really say I have a favourite, or even ten favourites. It depends on the day, the season, the mood, what happened that week in Crazyland, what I had for dinner and what we watched the night before.
  • Moliere
    One that hasn't been mentioned and I'd include, though, is the original Conan: The Barbarian. The visuals, in particular, are what I like about this movie, as well as how the mood is established by the score, pacing, and visual storytelling -- it coheres so well with the character Conan.
  • Tom Storm
    Oh yes. But I liked Knives Out andA Perfect Murder For me, it's mostly about the story. Though I do appreciate a nice backdrop and pretty people - like the Austen movie - I get all the gimmicks I need from Sci-Fi.Vera Mont

Disliked those films.

Personal taste. For me good cinema is art - mise-en-scène - composition, framing, lighting, art direction, cinematography, editing, when artfully considered are the reward of watching. I don't consider these gimmicks - I consider them the reason for sitting still, like I am silently regarding a Rembrandt. The first 10 minutes of Once Upon a Time in the West, for instance to me is as rich and wonderful an experience as standing in front of a good Goya or reading a paragraph of Edith Wharton.

of course the visually incomparable Walkabout.Vera Mont

And that. I find it exceptionally moving and mystical. The book is a junk.

I'm not a huge fan of Australian films - they often seem made for the international market. Although Mad Max 2 and Chopper are pretty amazing aesthetic experiences.
  • Moliere
    While I like story, I also agree with your general taste for the elements of film that are particular to film.

I love action movies because they are almost exclusively composed of that. And there's a genuine difference between the masters of visual story-telling and the cheesy spin-offs. (although, I'll admit, I like the cheese, too)
  • Tom Storm
    Favorite actions films? Mine is Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  • Vera Mont
    Mine is Raiders of the Lost Ark.Tom Storm

We agree on something! Good story, good settings, good effects, good staging and production.
    Same with Lawrence.
  • Ciceronianus
    Some of you need to watch more non-American filmsMaw

Don't miss the Vatican fashion show in Fellini's Roma
  • T Clark
    McCabe and Mrs. MillerMaw

I thought about this. I can see why people think it's good, but I didn't like it that much.

The Great SilenceMaw

Never heard of it. Sounds interesting.
  • Joshs
    For me good cinema is art - mise-en-scène - composition, framing, lighting, art direction, cinematography, editing, when artfully considered are the reward of watching. I don't consider these gimmicks - I consider them the reason for sitting still, like I am silently regarding a Rembrandt.Tom Storm

What do you think of Peter Greenaway? His films are among the most painterly I’ve seen.
  • Moliere
    OOooo... good choice.

As always, too many choices...

I'm impressed with your ability to just have one :D I also enjoy that trilogy. I'll just try a grab-bag for a list of action movies I love that haven't been mentioned yet:

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Kill Bill, v 1 and 2
    Terminator 2
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Predator
  • T Clark
    would never recommend unless someone wants to watch a cheesy 80's sci-fi film with me.Moliere

I don't agree. Although, as I noted, it has sentimental value for me, I think it's a pretty good movie too. I don't love the science fiction and movies considered great. I liked the first three Star Wars, but wouldn't put them on my list of favorites. Ditto with Indiana Jones. Didn't like Alien and didn't watch the rest. Didn't like the Lord of the Rings movies, Blade Runner, or Harry Potter. Didn't like any of the Star Trek movies much.

Which reminds me of two of my favorite movies I left off my list:
    Things to Come - 1936. Really striking cinematography. Raymond Massey. I think it reflects the fact that people in Europe knew a war was coming, but the one in the movie was even worse than WW2. Well made. It has that 1930s, futuristic, art deco vibe.

Primer - Made for $7,000 using the director's parent's credit card. By far my favorite time travel movie. After I saw it I said to myself - Yes, that's how it will happen if it ever does.
  • T Clark
    Favorite actions films? Mine is Raiders of the Lost Ark.Tom Storm

I'm surprised. You're such a popular culture curmudgeon. I have no problems with suspension of belief, but the story just didn't hold together for me. Last straw - the face melting scene. Not because it was creepy, but because it came from nowhere in an otherwise more or less realistic movie. An almost literal deus ex machina.
  • Tom Storm
    I consider Greenaway is a visual genius.

I'm surprised. You're such a popular culture curmudgeon. I have no problems with suspension of belief, but the story just didn't hold together for me.T Clark

Interesting. See, I think it as a carefully crafted, meticulously layered film, each step in the story progression leaving clues of God's presence and increasing anger as the film moves on. Wind appearing when God's name is mentioned, a gathering storm when the ark is lifted, the swastika burning off the crate in the hull of the ship and finally God's judgement of Nazi ideology and (quoting from 1 Samuel 6:7) for daring to fuck with the ark and invoke a Jewish ritual. The film is also swollen with Zoroastrian light and darkness motifs, it seems to me, with fire as the symbol of cleansing purity - from the bar fight to the fiery ending.

But most of all the use of practical effects, set design, moving camera and Michael Kahn's prodigious editing was absolutely staggering and overnight made all the James Bond action films with Roger Moore look dowdy, flabby, embarrassing. To me Spielberg pretty much reinvented the idea of what action on film looks like.

Sermon over.

Note on reflection, the fire motif is Jewish, not Zoroastrian.
  • Maw
    Never heard of it. Sounds interesting.T Clark

Can't go wrong with Klaus Kinski

What did you think of Brewster McCloud?Joshs

Haven't seen it, but I did enjoy Altman's Nashville and The Long Goodbye
  • Manuel

Oldboy :fire:
  • Jamal
    Blow-UpJoshs

Have you seen Blow Out from 1980, which Brian De Palma modelled on Blow Up? Another of my favourites.
  • Noble Dust
    I’m not a big film buff but here’s a few:

Children of Men
    Stalker
    The Lord of the Rings
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)
    Mirror
  • Noble Dust
    Mad Max: Fury RoadMoliere

Ah add this to my list.
  • T Clark
    Sermon over.Tom Storm

When I like a movie, I try to think back and figure out why. Often, it has to do with character - George Smiley in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Phillip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye; Rick Blaine in Casablanca; Wyatt Earp in Tombstone - people who might seem weak, or frivolous, or cynical, or brutal - but who when tested have a deep moral center.

And that's my lecture.
  • Tom Storm
    Nice. Character is good. The Long Goodbye is one of my favourites, not just for what Gould does with Marlowe (languid and tractable, except when it matters to him) - but it's a drastic reimagining, reversal even of Chandler's original and it's extraordinary to look at. Lush cinematography and that amazing witty soundtrack, which is the same theme in various deft arrangements. And you can't look past Sterling Hayden as the lumbering, drink sodden novelist. Heaven.
  • javi2541997
    I notice that nobody mentioned a film from Spain. I understand it because our film makers and industry are not good enough compared to America or Asia.
    Nonetheless, I'd like to recommend to you my favourite film that are not so known by the people.

Vacas. It is a rural drama between two Basque families. To help you to understand, the plot of the film covers the years 1875 - 1936. There were social conflicts and civil wars but the film shows how the basque allied themselves despite the differences and controversies of families. There are scenes and dialogues related to metaphysics and the concept of time.
    Note: cows (vacas) are a very important animal for basque families in rural areas.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment