• deletedmemberbcc
    Johnny C- Blue Train :love:

• deletedmemberbcc
    Charles Mingus- Moanin' :fire:

I challenge anyone to listen to this song all the way through without e.g. tapping your foot, bobbing your head, etc to the rhythm. Its just infectious.
  • deletedmemberbcc
    Jaco Pastorius- Blackbird :strong:

• Wayfarer
    To anyone who likes authentic jazz-rock fusion - hey, I know you're an elite group - check this out. Drift Lab, an Italian quartet, no released albums as such, denizens of YouTube. All master musicians but particular call out to Matteo Mancuso who to my mind is the best electric guitarist in the world today (and I know guitarists. Plays electric guitar with flamenco technique. Absolute master. If you're into guitarists, check him out.)

• SophistiCat
    I challenge anyone to listen to this song all the way through without e.g. tapping your foot, bobbing your head, etc to the rhythm. Its just infectious.busycuttingcrap

What did I win? (Just kidding! I like it.)
  • deletedmemberbcc
    Your restraint is impressive! And you win... Another Charles Mingus video!

Mingus Sextet- Take the A Train

• deletedmemberbcc
    :up: Yeah that's awesome, sounds like some classic (60s-70s) fusion- doesn't get any better than that, imo. Love that bass solo.

I can think of a few guitarists who could challenge the "best electric guitarist in the world" bit, though.. but no question this guy can play. If you like insane axe-playing, you should check out the video I posted in the other music thread a week or two ago- Polyphia featuring Steve Vai, an absolutely loaded lineup playing one of the best guitar pieces I've heard in a long time ("Ego Death").
  • Wayfarer
    Polyphia featuring Steve Vai,busycuttingcrap

(Couldn't find anything about the second name he mentioned. Al Di Meola gives him a big rap too and featured him in a duo concert.)
  • deletedmemberbcc

Steve Vai is awesome, love that guy. And I agree with him, the level of guitar talent out there right now, esp in the prog rock/prog metal, fusion, math rock, etc. genres is insane- Tobin Abasi, Tim Henson, Yvette Young, some insanely talented musicians out there, and most of these people are all really young too.

Had you heard that Polyphia + Steve Vai song already? If not I strongly recommend it, some awesome (awesome, awesome, awesome) guitar playing in that song, and Steve plays an awesome whammy-bar solo (because Steve Vai is awesome, obviously). If you like guitar, you'll love "Ego Death".
  • Wayfarer
    I’ll definitely give it a listen. Also Guthrie Govan, also mainly on YouTube.
  • deletedmemberbcc
    Checking him out right now, pretty sure I've seen/heard him before (his hair looks familiar).

Speaking of Youtube guitar players, ever watched any Ichika Nito? Guy is a monster, especially with tapping. And I honestly think that Youtube is a major reason why we're seeing such amazing guitar players at such young ages- Youtube is an incredible learning resource for musicians, I'm super jealous that we didn't have anything like it when I was growing up.
  • deletedmemberbcc
    guy really likes to work that whammy bar, I love it
  • SophistiCat
    Another beautiful violin concerto. Not yet "typical" Britten, and not often performed, owing to its great difficulty. (Jascha Heifetz declined to premier it, because he wasn't sure it was even playable.) It doesn't sound like a virtuoso stunt in the hands of Janine Jansen though.
    Reveal
  • Jamal
    Monteverdi.

• Noble Dust

My favorite Guthrie Govan video is this in which Hans Zimmer awkwardly watches him solo and doesn't know what to do with his hands:

• Wayfarer
    just watching that about 2 minutes ago. Zimmer is just totally digging it, he doesn’t know what to do with his hands ‘cause they’re not on a keyboard.

I found Govan through one of Rick Beato’s shows:

The versatility is amazing although I tried a couple of Govan’s albums and found them a bit too metallic for my tastes.
  • SophistiCat
    Nice. I am listening the whole set.

A while ago I was binging on Purcell and Handel, especially their lesser known keyboard works. These guys rock!

Purcell
    Reveal

Handel
    Reveal
    These are Handel's best-known keyboard suites - the only ones he published, in two sets of eight. My favorite piano version:

• Noble Dust
    I don't know much earlier Stravinsky, so this is pretty interesting:

• SophistiCat
    Woke up with this playing in my head :death:

• SophistiCat
    Listening to some jazz for a change: J.D. Allen

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHNJvwXuaSzTliSAmna2TA

Sonny Rollins said about him: "He’s got a nice, big, fat sound, and he’s got a lot of ideas. He doesn’t sound like he’s ever wanting to find something to play."
  • Wayfarer
    For those into jazz fusion - Fool Arcana, a new band! They won a contest in Italy in April 2021, right in the thick of COVID which kind of hampered their launch. But they are producing some excellent material in that genre - think Incognito, Matt Bianco, Brand New Heavies, Chick Corea. All great young players, led by 22-year-old singer-guitarist Cecilia Barra Caracciolo and 23-year-old bassist Riccardo Oliva (listen out for the Fender Rhodes solo. Incidentally the name is derived from the first Tarot card, symbolising spontaneity and creativity.)

• Noble Dust

Cool. More melodic variation would help, but I always love watching an open-hand-lead drummer, as one myself. Actually I guess he's just playing half left-handed with his ride on his left, Carter Beauford style. So left-handed hands and "right-handed" feet. Anyway. I also would include Snarky Puppy as a comparison.
  • Wayfarer
    Yeah I don't unreservedly like their compositions, but I'm making an effort to get familiar with them as it's a genre I very much like, and it doesn't have a wide audience base. Yeah, Snarky Puppy, definitely - my son went to see them in Milwaukee just the other day, said they were sensational. (Oh, and they're also a little reminiscent of Level 42, particularly their melodic sense.)
  • Noble Dust

I liked it quite a bit. When it comes to current jazz, I tend to prefer the "spiritual" corners of the genre that are being explored; Like this. simpler and more repetitive, and not for everyone, but it does it for me. Hypnotic music.
  • javi2541997
    A combination of “nu jazz” and “acid jazz”

• Wayfarer
    Like it. Particularly the urgency of the groove in #1. Great skiing music (not that I ski any more.)

Check out this amazing talent. One guy, one guitar, many, many layers.

• Moliere
    What a talent. Amazing to hear all that from one guitar
  • Wayfarer
    I know! Ain't he amazing! Tommy Emmanuel put a comment on one of his latest, 'keep up the great work'. The attention to detail is fantastic - all these little flourishes from the original recording that he captures.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment