• Shawn
    I would like to start a thread about proposals for the next reading group...

I don't have a list on mind, but is anyone interested in reading some of the recents?

May I propose that we can read papers also and if so does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Paine
    I would like to talk about On the Genealogy of Morality by Nietzsche.
  • Shawn
    Oh, a reading group for Nietzsche would be quite some fun...

I'd like to ask if anyone would be interested in reading something published by Scott Soams?
  • Manuel
    I've done one for Chomsky and Hume.

Coming up is Locke's Essay, probably focusing on 3 chapters, but I've still to finish re-reading the book.
  • Shawn
    I recently finished Rorty's Linguistic Turn, which was really a great introduction to linguistic philosophy. I'm hoping someone would want to delve more into the current state of the linguistic turn in philosophy, nowadays.
  • Shawn
    @Banno proposed reading Identity and Necessity by Kripke.

Anyone?
  • Shawn
    I plan a thread on Danièle Moyal-Sharrock's Understanding Wittgenstein’s On Certainty, which apparently addresses the pre-predicative and the predicative distinction in an interesting way. I think she's muddled, but the devil will be in the detail. — Banno

- @Banno
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/768370
  • Shawn
    I'm hoping to start some reading group around Philosophical Pessimism.

I think it would be rewarding to have one oriented around that.

Any takers?
  • Metaphysician Undercover

I'm not familiar with any authors who have taken this perspective directly. Is this a sort of negative pragmaticism? Pragmaticism takes the desired end (the good) as the feature with the most power to shape knowledge and society as a whole. Does philosophical pessimism take failure to achieve the desired end as the formative feature of society?
  • Shawn
    Pragmaticism takes the desired end (the good) as the feature with the most power to shape knowledge and society as a whole.Metaphysician Undercover

Pragmatism seems to be a sort of antithesis of Philosophical Pessimism...

Does philosophical pessimism take failure to achieve the desired end as the formative feature of society?Metaphysician Undercover

Not of society; but, the world as a whole, along with human nature reflexively interacting with the world in some authors opinion.
  • javi2541997
    I would like to talk about Sun and Steel; and The Way of Samurai, both of Yukio Mishima.

...But I am aware that most you do not like samurai philosophy :death:
  • Paine
    How about Aristotle's De Anima?

Or is that an overgrown lot filled with irreconcilable weeds?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.