• I like sushi
    This topic seems like a no-brainer to me.

Country’s football institutions should simply boycott this World Cup (or the players should force them to).

It is awful to see a sport loved the world over be further reduced by political and monetary gain. Not only have they forced the shift of the regular football season we are talking about a nation simply rolling in money. I thought this kind of thing would never happen as when the US hosted and discussed cutting games into quarters (to satisfy commercial demand) they were utterly rejected.

Fast forward and now we have complete disruption to the season for practically all footballing nations. This is before we even get into the the treatment of the labourers who helped build the stadiums in Qatar or the continuous backhanders FIFA officials received that are common knowledge.

NOW they are asking for focus on the football not the politics … for me this is the last straw. Maybe they are asking this because, like me, there is already rumbles of a boycott? I hope so!

All it will take is one major nation to step down (or players from a nation to refuse to play) … I hope one does.

This is actually a big deal as we are talking about the most popular game in the world and eve though I am myself not anywhere the biggest fan of football (I like it though) it is the moral decline involved in this area that does capture the hearts of many - from billionaire takeovers to high wage professional players it is becoming more and more about status, wealth and politics rather than about a game that gives many pleasure.

What are your thoughts? Is a boycott likely and if so what kind of problems would this resolve and create?
  • Jamal
    It might be useful for those who are not so familiar with football if you summarize the problems and the criticism more clearly. What makes this one so much worse than others? How did it come about that it's happening in Qatar in the first place? How has it caused disruption to the football season?
  • javi2541997
    All it will take is one major nation to step down (or players from a nation to refuse to play) … I hope one does.I like sushi

Denmark has already done some steps down to prevent Qatar 2022 worldcup but nobody actually listened to them because it is not a "top" national team so nobody would care if they end up not going to the tournament.

Football is business and it goes where it can gets some benefits. FIFA does not care about political/social issues. According to your argument (or plea) World Cup would have never taken place in some tournaments as South Africa 2010; Argentina 1978 or Italy 1934 where these countries were far away from being a democracy.

What are your thoughts?I like sushi

I would ban the championship. Nevertheless, I understand that it is a very important tournament for the players (and other interests involved) because millions and millions of persons will see these matches. It is even a chance for young players because if they play good, important teams would sign up some of them afterwards.
  • I like sushi
    According to your argument (or plea) World Cup would have never taken place in some tournaments as South Africa 2010; Argentina 1978 or Italy 1934 where these countries were far away from being a democracy.javi2541997

Fair point. It is more or less a culmination of corruption and the recent (as in past couple of decades) CLEAR and undeniable corruption and backhanders that puzzles me as to how Qatar were still a feasible host? I do not care about ‘democracy’ as a mandate for host nation, but when the scheduling of the game is put out and the host nation has NEVER appeared in the world cup … well, that is just plain stupid. It has been getting into more and more of a sad state and I think more than simple words or ‘fines’ would help … perhaps the fans should boycott? Not exactly sure how much of a dent that would make in commercial income but it would at least hurt Qatar … or maybe not as they are gigarich and the people who paid to have it hosted in their country likely do not care a jot if no one but them shows up to watch the games.

There is also the constant shift towards the moneymakers greed to make a Super League. They got caught planning it and people spoke out very vocally about it … so they pretended to listen then back-doored with ‘revamp’ of champions league.
  • javi2541997
    host nation has NEVER appeared in the world cup … well, that is just plain stupid. It has been getting into more and more of a sad state and I think more than simple words or ‘fines’ would help … perhaps the fans should boycott?I like sushi

Good point on the fact that Qatar never appeared in a tournament. But it isn't an important fact according to FIFA because there are other nations which never played a big role on World Cups but they host a tournament (for example: Japan and South Korea 2002)
    I see it so difficult a possible boycott from the fans. South Amercian national teams have very loyal fans. They would follow their wherever they go. They do not care if they play in Qatar or in an iceberg
  • Benkei
    I'm boycotting. I won't watch any game.
  • I like sushi
    Both Japan and South Korea have qualified for the World Cup Finals before becoming host nations (especially South Korea).

Qatar have NEVER reached the World Cup Finals. FIFA talk shite and always have - hence asking people to ‘leave politics out of football’ whilst constantly meddling in politics and bribery.
  • javi2541997
    hence asking people to ‘leave politics out of football’ whilst constantly meddling in politics and bribery.I like sushi

:up:

Impossible to keep football out from politics when hooligans are political themselves. A lot of supporters are racist and support Fascism.
  • enqramot
    I think Socrates and other philosophers have already covered the problem of "The Qatar World Cup" in depth, and frankly, I can't think what else I could add.
  • javi2541997
    I think Socrates and other philosophers have already covered the problem of "The Qatar World Cup" in depth, and frankly, I can't think what else I could add.enqramot

HAHA so ironic... but our posts are based on Lockean empiricism! not Ancient Greece philosophy! :lol: :sparkle:
  • enqramot
    HAHA so ironic... but our posts are based on Lockean empiricism! not Ancient Greece philosophy!javi2541997

no worries, just joking
  • I like sushi
    Hooligans? Like those in Paris attacked by police? The children tear-gassed? Those ‘hooligans’?
  • javi2541997
    These hooligans I meant:
    %2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe98c5d1a-4ce7-311f-9e5c-b8534d131080.jpg?crop=1500%2C1000%2C0%2C0

As you see some football "supporters" (hooligans) are neo-Nazis and promote violence.
  • I like sushi
    I imagine some football supporters are cannibals and rapists too. I do not see the point of bringing this up other than to insinuate that football fans are somehow abhorrent compared to non-football fans.

You even went to the trouble to give visual stimulus. Why?

Actually I don’t care. Bye
  • javi2541997
    No. I never referred to average football fans but hooligans.

Actually I don’t care. ByeI like sushi

If you do not care, why did you start this OP?
  • Tzeentch
    So apparently Qatar, a muslim fundamentalist country, has been lobbying and influencing economic and political decisions in the European Parliament.

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-police-raid-gulf-lobbying-eu-parliament/

At this point I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the dumpster fire that is the European Union.

Preaching egalitarianism and progressivism on the one hand, and taking bribes from a country where adultery is punished by death with the other. :vomit:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.