• Isaac
    If you have a point, please make it more explicit.frank

It's not rocket science. I just want you to explain your analogy to me. How does one bully punching the other bully in the nose create a more peaceful world? We just exchange bullies.

I'm just asking the simple question. If, in your scenario, the world were made up of bullies, how would your theory (punch the bully on the nose) bring about peace. It's your theory so it doesn't seem too much to ask you to explain it.

Isaac is very angry that we would forget what kind of a bully the US has been. We might forget this because it's obvious that Russia is the aggressor here, Ukraine is the victim and the US is aiding Ukraine. Isaac would be extremely angry if now the US would look good as a "white knight in shining armour" coming to help a victim. Because the US is bad. Remember all the children that died in Iraq thanks to the sanctions etc. Even if this is a thread about the war in Ukraine, that doesn't matter.ssu

Yeah, the US are only providing the weapons, the intelligence, the strategy, the training, the finances and the global propaganda...I see now they're barely involved, how foolish of me to even mention them.

Let's leave them out of it then.

Prior to the invasion Ukraine were one of the most corrupt nations in the regions, the continent's top black market arms dealers and a hotbed of Neo-nazi extreme right violence. Likewise Russia.

So explain to me how @frank's analogy works. how does the world become more peaceful if Ukraine 'beat' Russia as opposed to Russia 'beat' Ukraine? What magic pill stops Ukraine from thinking "now Russia's weak and we've got all these weapons, we could have Valuyki or Belgorod"?

Is it because they're all just really, really nice?
  • Olivier5
    But I harbor no illusions of changing minds - and it's too late now to do anything about the past.Manuel

You could change your own mind though, by recognizing the asymmetry of this war: Zelensky is far better than Putin, and Ukraine has just cause.
  • unenlightened
    I think the root of the debate is a profound difference in attitude toward conflict. Where there's a bully, you'll say it's the responsibility of the rest of the population to bow for the sake of peace.

The opposing view is that you have to smash the bully in the nose if you want peace.
    frank

Reminds me of MalcolmX accusing Martin Luther king of being an Uncle Tom.

Nonviolent resistance is not non-resistance.
  • jorndoe
    , you think Ukraine has bullied Russia?
  • Isaac
    you think Ukraine has bullied Russia?jorndoe

No.
  • SophistiCat
    Interesting, so what are your objections to this, considering you had previously expressed doubt that Russia sabotaged their own pipeline?_db

The "bridge-burning" theory is plausible, but highly speculative. Still, the alternatives are even more problematic. The players who more obviously stand to gain from the destruction of Nord Stream are Ukraine and the US. Both benefit from burning the bridge that would tempt Europe to backslide and make a deal with Russia. US LNG producers and exporters have a better incentive for long-term investment now that they know that they won't be priced out of the market by cheap Russian gas any time soon. And Ukraine now controls one of the main remaining transits for Russian gas into Europe.

But I don't see the US doing something so desperate for a modest commercial gain. Even for Ukraine this would be a very perilous move. If they were caught, this would seriously undermine their vital relationship with Europe, because Europe would see an attack on their infrastructure as a hostile and treacherous act. Besides, it is doubtful that Ukraine actually had the capability to pull off such an attack.

Russia has the capability, and it has nothing to lose reputation-wise. Of all the players it is the only one reckless and desperate enough to do something like this - if they wanted to.
  • apokrisis
    The "bridge-burning" theory is plausible, but highly speculative.SophistiCat

Another detail making it more likely to be Russia is the ease of access. It’s being said they could just wheel explosive down the pipe using the inspection pig.

But who knows.

https://www.wermac.org/nordstream/html_img86.html
  • Olivier5
    Nonviolent resistance is not non-resistance.unenlightened

That's just theory. In practice, how would you suggest Ukraine to resist Putin's fascist regime and invading armies in a non-violent manner?
  • unenlightened
    In theory. In practice, how would you suggest Ukraine to resist Putin's fascist regime and invading armies in a non-violent manner?Olivier5

I am not sufficiently at peace myself to recommend anything. but the methods are well developed by Gandhi, King and others. It isn't an easy option, for sure.
  • Changeling
    Don't worry guys we only have 426,877 years left of the Kali Yuga
  • frank
    Reminds me of MalcolmX accusing Martin Luther king of being an Uncle Tom.

Nonviolent resistance is not non-resistance.
    unenlightened

I don't think those who advocated Ukraine's surrender to Russia had any kind of resistance in mind. I think @Tzeentch, for instance, was concerned with casualties of an on going war. @Manuel was worried about escalation.

If I understand correctly, they're saying the cost of standing up to aggression isn't worth any gains from it. Surrender assures peace and save lives.
  • Olivier5
    the methods are well developed by Gandhi, King and others.unenlightened

Those methods have not proved to work against a ruthless, amoral enemy. In 1940 Gandhi appealed to GB to stop fighting Germany. Good thing they didn't listen.
  • SophistiCat
    Another detail making it more likely to be Russia is the ease of access. It’s being said they could just wheel explosive down the pipe using the inspection pig.apokrisis

That the pipes were blown up from inside would be very obvious to even a casual inspection, I would think. Unless they want everyone to know and don't care even for a modicum of deniability, that would be extremely stupid. But we'll know soon enough.
  • unenlightened
    Surrender assures peace and save lives.frank

Well that's obviously not always true. But clearly no one involved is much considering the possibility of peaceful resistance.

Those methods have not proved to work against a ruthless, amoral enemy.Olivier5

Are you seriously suggesting that the British Empire was anything other than ruthless and amoral?

Gandhi brought Satyagraha to India in 1915, and was soon elected to the Indian National Congress political party. He began to push for independence from the United Kingdom, and organized resistance to a 1919 law that gave British authorities carte blanche to imprison suspected revolutionaries without trial. Britain responded brutally to the resistance, mowing down 400 unarmed protesters in the Amritsar Massacre.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/mahatma-gandhi-changed-political-protest
  • Isaac
    I don't think those who advocated Ukraine's surrender to Russia had any kind of resistance in mind.frank

From six months ago...

if we assume that life in 'independence' would be worse for the people there (a significant assumption), the fact remains that two options are open to us to do something about that

1. Keep fighting wars to keep them under the control of the (marginally) better government.
    2. Keep fighting revolutions to make it not matter what government they are under the control of.

The latter has the advantage of freeing millions more from misery and you've presented little by way of clear evidence that the former is somehow so much easier as to commend on the grounds of achievability alone.
    Isaac

...but don't let what's actually been written get in the way of your little vignette of strawmen.
  • SophistiCat
    Surrender assures peace and save lives.frank

Except, of course, it does neither, as we can see in front of our own eyes. What it does though is relieve the West from the cost and the responsibility for the war. (Especially in the eyes of those who believe that the white man the West automatically assumes all of the agency and the responsibility wherever it so much as casts a sideways glance.)
  • Tzeentch
    I don't think those who advocated Ukraine's surrender to Russia had any kind of resistance in mind. I think @Tzeentch, for instance, was concerned with casualties of an on going war.frank

I never advocated any course of action for Ukraine - that would be highly presumptuous.
  • frank
    What it does though is relieve the West from the cost and the responsibility for the war.SophistiCat

I was trying to articulate the sides of the debate. It looks like I failed.

But speaking of the cost of the war, what do you think accounts for the continuing support of the West? Fear for their own safety? Or what?
  • frank
    I never advocated any course of action for Ukraine - that would be highly presumptuous.Tzeentch

I see. Then what was your perspective on the situation?
  • Isaac
    what do you think accounts for the continuing support of the West?frank

Good question, what could it possibly be...?

https://www.businessinsider.com/congress-war-profiteers-stock-lockheed-martin-raytheon-investment-2022-3?op=1&r=US&IR=T
  • Olivier5
    Are you seriously suggesting that the British Empire was anything other than ruthless and amoral?unenlightened

Indeed, comparatively speaking.
  • Tzeentch
    I see. Then what was your perspective on the situation?frank

On what part of the situation?
  • unenlightened
    comparatively speaking.Olivier5

What are you comparing? The concentration camps in S.Africa and those of the Nazis? the holocaust of the slave trade with the holocaust of the Jews? The argument is too odious to continue.
  • frank
    It turns out there is no debate. Interesting.
  • ssu
    But speaking of the cost of the war, what do you think accounts for the continuing support of the West? Fear for their own safety? Or what?frank
    Obviously Putin wouldn't stop at Ukraine. Perhaps the territorial annexations might end there, yet the fact is that Russia would want to enlarge it's sphere-of-influence to the West. Finlandization: my country knows the game extremely well.

From Putin's view he is restoring things after the greatest tragedy in history, the fall of the Soviet Union, with a re-emerging Russia taking it's place where it deserves to be against the decadent, failing West.

Yet the war seems to be going well for the Ukrainians... :up:
  • Olivier5
    The argument is too odious to continue.unenlightened

Well, give it a rest then. Non-violence would likely not work against Putin.
  • Manuel
    Now negotiations are even further away, given the decree signed by Zelensky. As things stand, this cannot end up going well.

You need to have an option for Russia to get out of this mess by saving face. If not, the worst possible outcome becomes more likely, not less.

Kennedy and Khrushchev would be much better than these mediocre leaders we have.
  • jorndoe
    It’s not normal to be so excited by nuclear bombs.Oliver Carroll

World war 2 Hiroshima-Nagasaki 77 years ago? Bit of a reach. But some will lap it up.

If we're speculating far out ideas anyway, how's this out for Putin?

Set up real democracy in Russia. Prepare a real election, including international observers, independent verification, all that. Oust dangerous people that would stop this move, slowly, incrementally perhaps. Just in case a genuinely elected new government was to chase him, wanting to prosecute him, he can always say that it was he that set up the (real) election at least, that resulted in him being chased, and, worst case, get a house in Chile or something, stash enough money to secure a life. Don't run for the next election, retire, claim family reasons, sickness, whatever, make something up, doesn't matter. Leave the crap to the next government.

Unlikely. :)

Slavery in the 2010s, and the environments that condone them:

The Slaves of St Petersburg (Mar 28, 2017)
    Human trafficking in North Korea » North Korean workers sent abroad (Wikipedia)

Please note, this is only peripherally related to Russia :fire: Ukraine, but just gives a glimpse into the environment in Putin's Russia (Medvedev is also mentioned). Poland was accused of something similar in the 2000s.
  • Olivier5
    They reproach me here that I drive people into depression with my news. They say, you need to be more positive. Well, at time such as these, there will be no good news in the near future. Neither from the Kherson front, nor from now Lugansk.

In many of our sectors, let's say, fatigue has set in after a long offensive period, during which large territories were liberated. But there is no longer any strength left to hold them.

Why is that? Because there are not enough people. Although, for sure, among the top brass everything looked different. These slaps in the face were necessart so that everyone would understand how it really is. After that, they announced a partial mobilization.

The enemy, on the other hand, brings prepared reserves into battle, realizing an advantage in both manpower and morale. The time they spent retreating and on the defensive, they used to prepare new combat-ready formations.

You can sprinkle ashes on your head and tear your chest hair with a cry of “Everything is lost!” But now we need to do the same thing - to prepare people to dilute the bloodless units with them (?). Solve interaction and communication problems. Set up rears.

We drove just now from Kreminna to Svatove. I don’t see panic, hatred either. The men are preparing for heavy battles for the territory of the Russian Federation. Which we have to win back when the operational crisis of the SMO is overcome.

https://t.me/s/sashakots
  • Manuel

Well, you can think of it in terms of "surrender". But you can also think of it as "saving lives", and potentially the planet.

Or instead of "surrender", we can call it a "stop" in violence. But sadly, this isn't the route being followed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment