Assange

156789Next
  • frank

I'm guessing they just want information about how Russia contacted him. The hacking charge is pretty minor.
  • James Riley
    Yes. Your mistake is treating people's lives as if they're the plot of 'Top Gun'. There's no 'your house'/'my house'. America is made mostly of people (who suffer from the oppression of their government), Australia likewise is populated by human beings who suffer at the hands of a disgraceful government and its corporate sponsors. The rest of the world's people suffer likewise (though often at the hands of the US than their own governments). People. All the same people. Not Russians vs Americans. Not your house vs my house.

Whatever his personal motives, Assange highlighted actions which, if allowed to continue, would harm people. Sending the message that such actions will be severely punished by governments the world over will harm people. There's no us vs. them except in the storyline they want you to swallow. But then your proclivity for swallowing simplistic us vs. them narratives you're fed so that you can play out your John Wayne fantasy has been noted before.
    Isaac

First, thank you for being the only person who tried (even if you failed) to take a stab at my question. That said, talk about a simplistic view of the world! First you try to imply a "we are the world" group of people, but then the U.S. government is the bogy man (Top Gun, pun intended, get it? No? Never mind) out there undermining what would otherwise be kumbaya. :roll:

Your silly view of the situation is is just another "us vs them" argument, only you try to wrangle the world into your remuda to defend it against the evil governments.

I assumed my original, honest question was not answered because it is a very hard question. Quite simply, when all I see is unmitigated hatred and sniping against my government (warranted or not),I want to know if the sniper is sincerely trying to help, of if he is an agent for one of those other governments? Look at it from my point of view: We not only have Assange and Street coming out of Australia, but you've also blessed the world with Rupert Murdoch. What I'm seeing here is white nationalism. Especially when you throw Putin into the mix.

So, as a naïve noob in these matters of international concern that you seem to be such an expert on, how is a simpleton like me supposed to know your intentions toward me are good? Are you sewing discord and division in the U.S. as part of a plot to destroy the U.S.? Or are you just a good guy, trying to help us see the error of our ways? You know, some kind of self-improvement guru?

Were the insurrectionist of January 6th on the right track? Was Trump on the right track? Is the fall of the U.S. and the rise of China a good thing? Or are you just trying to help the U.S. by pointing out how fucking corrupt and rotten and evil it is? "Shed a little sun light, disinfect with the truth, and the U.S. too can join the world campfire!"

How is a simple American supposed to know? That's my simple question.

Now you may say that I'm not entitled to an answer, or that the burden is not upon you to exonerate yourself before my non-existent jurisdiction. And that's true. You don't have to answer the question. But as far as my non-existent family in my non-existent house is concerned, if you fail to prove you're not in bed with nationalists, then you are one. Ironic, huh? I mean here you want to view the people of the world as innocent victims of government, yet your failure to prove your bonafides supports government. And all because you can't answer the question: How do I know you are good when all I hear is how fucking rotten and evil my country is? And what happens to credibility when what is happening to Assange is equated with the fate of Khashoggi? Poor stupid me just doesn't know what to do! Evil government misleading me on the one hand, and then there's you. Decisions, decisions.

P.S. You know, as I said before about a world clearing house, that would have moved us closer to what you purport to want. But it didn't happen. Hmmm. I wonder why? I think somebody picked a side. If that's the case, then fuck him.
  • tim wood
    Except the people who did publish were precisely papers like Der Spiegel and so on.StreetlightX
    Can't tell the difference between Der Spiegel and the NYT? Let me help you out, Der Spiegel is German.
  • Isaac

I guess we'll see.
  • Isaac
    Quite simply, when all I see is unmitigated hatred and sniping against my government (warranted or not),I want to know if the sniper is sincerely trying to help, of if he is an agent for one of those other governments?James Riley

OK, I'll be more blunt. The answer is it doesn't matter one jot. Your government, their government...what does it matter? You owe your government nothing, you owe no enmity to the other. That's the us vs them to which I was referring.

So, as a naïve noob in these matters of international concern that you seem to be such an expert on...James Riley

I've made no greater a claim than you, we're all just giving opinions here, or did you think that yours came along with labels on?

I have taught you repeatedlyJames Riley

I have taught but you have not learned.James Riley

I already taught youJames Riley

Remember what I taught youJames Riley

...and I'm the one who's comments are apparently suffused with pretensions to expertise!

How is a simple American supposed to know? That's my simple question.James Riley

You can't. You've already ruled out 'doing your own research', you've ruled out listening to dissenting voices in any areas other than those in which you are an expert. You've blindfolded and gagged yourself, so do whatever your government says, it's the only option you've got left.
  • James Riley
    OK, I'll be more blunt. The answer is it doesn't matter one jot. Your government, their government...what does it matter? You owe your government nothing, you owe no enmity to the other. that's the us vs them to which I was referring.Isaac

266291702_10221176150582779_8199727780221152296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=A4Cxjs_6tI8AX98t3qc&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AT-0NhIBQNPInvCRBf2mCvwW4zg3ks902u0n5xJZ21B2AQ&oe=61BFDD6F

and I'm the one who's comments are apparently suffused with pretensions to expertise!Isaac

And yet you fail to learn your lessons and you can't teach me anything? I've asked you to teach me, but you can't: proof:

You can't.Isaac

You've already ruled out 'doing your own research', you've ruled out listening to dissenting voice in any areas other than those in which you are an expert. You've blindfolded and gagged yourself, so do whatever your government says, it's the only option you've got left.Isaac

No, I'm doing my research now, asking you: How do I tell? But you say I can't tell. So, I either trust you, who can't learn any lessons or teach anything, or I trust my government. I trust my own eyes and what I see happening to my country. Seems like my government is telling me the truth when they say their are subversives and useful idiots out there doing Putin's work for him, and pushing an agenda of white nationalism.

So, since you have nothing, and can't answer my question, that leaves me to use my own suppositions about you, Street, Assange, Murdoch, Trump, Putin, et el.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Any body else want to tell me how I can tell the difference between those who want to help democracy with transparency, and those who want to take it down for a Russian agenda?
  • NOS4A2

2. I noticed he's not in U.S. custody. So there's that. Here he'd be on easy street and he'd probably be out by now after community service; or found not guilty.

Manning was sentenced to 35 years. When the corrupt US justice system investigates, charges, and sentences someone under The Espionage Act, it is no joke. The history of the act itself is littered with free speech and human rights abuses.

By any moral measure, not only did Assange do nothing wrong, he was doing good. The United States government, it’s allies in Europe, are the bad guys in this affair.
  • James Riley
    By any moral measure, not only did Assange do nothing wrong, he was doing good. The United States government, it’s allies in Europe, are the bad guys in this affair.NOS4A2

Meh. Like I said, Big Boy Rules apply. (Well, in Manning's case, Big Girl Rules Apply. How would that have happened in any country but the U.S.? Kind of contradicts your assessment of the system, doesn't it?) Besides, I'm still looking for an answer to my question: How do I know what you say is true? After all, you are no fan of ANY government. So I'm still looking for a marker I can use to guide me. And even if what you say is "truth", it's just another tool when proponents are selective about the reveal. How come you folks aren't ripping on Russia and China, et al?

The Espionage Act, it is no joke.NOS4A2

Yeah? Ask Khashoggi and all the Putin poison pin cushions if the Espionage Act is a joke.
  • Isaac
    I've asked you to teach me, but you can't: proof:James Riley

Teaching is a collaborative, not a combative activity.

Seems like my government is telling me the truth when they say their are subversives and useful idiots out there doing Putin's work for him, and pushing an agenda of white nationalism.James Riley

How does it 'seem like...' they're telling the truth? Do their words come out with glitter on?

democracyJames Riley

Ha!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/is-america-a-democracy-if-so-why-does-it-deny-millions-the-vote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/24/us-world-democracy-rankings-freedom-house-new-low

This dramatic decline is primarily down to the US having been demoted to a “flawed democracy,” in the classification of the EIU - as a result of low public confidence in the government. The report stresses that this was strongly in evidence prior to the presidential election that saw Donald Trump become president.https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/which-are-the-worlds-strongest-democracies/
  • James Riley
    Teaching is a collaborative, not a combative activity.Isaac

:rofl:

How does it 'seem like...' they're telling the truth? Do their words come out with glitter on?Isaac

And yours? You are making my point. How to tell, how to tell. Crickets.

Regarding your cites: They make my case. I see the white nationalist agenda and the division long before Trump. Trump was just Putin's bitch.

as a result of low public confidence in the government. The report stresses that this was strongly in evidence prior to the presidential election that saw Donald Trump become president.https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/which-are-the-worlds-strongest-democracies/

Yeah, I wonder why? DOH! No thanks to the nationalist populist conservative Republican useful idiots of Putin.
  • NOS4A2

For me it’s a matter of conscience. Weigh the good (the exposure of war crimes, transparency, knowledge of how the govt. spends our money, election meddling) with the bad (not sure what the bad is). If I ask myself if Assange deserves this treatment the answer is clearly “no”.
  • James Riley
    For me it’s a matter of conscience. Weigh the good (the exposure of war crimes, transparency, knowledge of how the govt. spends our money, election meddling) with the bad (not sure what the bad is). If I ask myself if Assange deserves this treatment the answer is clearly “no”.NOS4A2

Well, that's an honest answer. Thanks. I guess for the bad, you would look at all the countries that do not give Assange counter-parts any due process of law, at all. Well, unless their law considers what they got "due process." But I don't hear anyone whining about that. Thus my curiosity.

Anyway, my power keeps going on and off so I'm going to shut off the computer till the storm blows over. In the meantime, if anyone has any constructive ideas on how I am to tell a gnat from an agent provocateur, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, I'll be left to doing what I perceive a lot of people here doing: Considering the source and the hyperbolic language that they use.

RIP to all those who didn't get notice and an opportunity to be heard before being killed or sent to a gulag.
  • tim wood
    OK, I'll be more blunt. The answer is it doesn't matter one jot. Your government, their government...what does it matter? You owe your government nothing, you owe no enmity to the other. That's the us vs them to which I was referring.Isaac

Maybe that's true for you in the country you live in. Not true here for me. Here we have a relationship of sorts, because ultimately it's my country. And me and mine, we share responsibilities and owe each other a lot. "Of the people, by the people, for the people." And if you do not get that, well, that might reflect poorly on your character, maturity, education - all kinds of things. Meanwhile, try reading Crito. Maybe not the last or the newest word on the topic, but at least instructive.
  • Janus
    Yes, I believe that is what it is about. Assange poked the eye of the sleeping giant, and the sleeping giant is embarrassed and angry, and wants to punish Julian Assange to save face, and show that you disturb its dogmatic slumber at your peril.
  • frank

After four years of this:

cmlusg6g_donald-trump-afp_625x300_25_February_20.jpg

we no longer have the ability to be embarrassed.
  • Janus
    Perhaps not; but you desperately need to save face. Problem is you're going about it in entirely the wrong way.

EDIT: since I understnd that "save face" can be taken in two different senses: to redeem yourself, and to appear to redeem yourself, I want to note that I meant the former, which should subsume the latter. The latter, however does not necessarily, or even often, include the former.
  • frank
    but you desperately need to save faceJanus

Not really. We're not fucking Japanese (except the ones who are).
  • Janus
    You might not be fucking them now, but you already fucked the Japanese once or twice, and you still need to save face for that crime. Perhaps the Chinese are next?
  • frank

You're not making much sense.
  • Janus
    Yeah, right, I know...
  • Bylaw
    Any body else want to tell me how I can tell the difference between those who want to help democracy with transparency, and those who want to take it down for a Russian agenda?James Riley
    This is a kind of implicit ad hom. IOW your argument may or may not be good, but since I can't tell if your intentions are to undermine the government it doesn't matter.

I can recognize that Putin's 'justice' system sucks, but still criticize political BS like charging Assange under the Espionage Act. To argue, implicitly or explicitly, that we should not criticize our government if there are superpowers that are worse is apologetics for those factions within the US that wants to be able to do what Putin and the CCP can.

How can I tell whether you are actually concerned about justice and fair use of power, or actually you are someone who wants to transform the US system into something Putin's Russia or CCP China?
  • Streetlight
    the sleeping giant is embarrassed and angry, and wants to punish Julian Assange to save face, and show that you disturb its dogmatic slumber at your peril.Janus

Yep - that Assange put exactly zero people in danger - for reporting on American war crimes - is not at issue. It's about sending a message, as the mafia say. And US is nothing if not a mafia operation. Challenges to American power - which at this point is abusive by definition - will not be tolerated. Anyone else who dares do similar things will be ruined and have their lives destroyed.

I wouldn't bother. James is a conspiracist loon whose paranoia is beneath address.
  • Janus
    Challenges to American power - which at this point is abusive by definition - will not be tolerated. Anyone else who dares do similar things will be ruined and have their lives destroyed.StreetlightX

:100: And our (Australian) gaggle of complicit idiots and shysters are not much better; all they lack is the degree of power.
  • Wayfarer
    Challenges to American power - which at this point is abusive by definition - will not be tolerated.StreetlightX

Kind of like how you respond to anyone who dares to differ with you.
  • Bylaw
    I wouldn't bother. James is a conspiracist loon whose paranoia is beneath address.StreetlightX
    Well, I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I think it's useful to focus on arguments regardless of the people who make them. You may well be right that he will not interact rationally with my criticism (which itself may or may not be sound), but I think it's still useful (potentially for others and certainly for me) to toss it out there.
  • tim wood
    Challenges to American power - which at this point is abusive by definitionStreetlightX
    Whose definition? Or, rather, make the case not that American power can abuse, but that it is categorically abusive.
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions