• Mikie
    Some just don't like the word "common", and can't even seem to get past that to the word "good." Others don't have any input on it at all. It is perfectly understandable that those who are concerned with the common good seek the input of others. That's what communities do.James Riley

Communist! Don’t you understand there IS no community, only individuals pursuing their own interests. So sayeth Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman.

Markets will solve all problems, provided government doesn’t step in to ruin everything.
  • James Riley
    Communist! Don’t you understand there IS no community, only individuals pursuing their own interests. So sayeth Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman.

Markets will solve all problems, provided government doesn’t step in to ruin everything.
    Xtrix

:rofl: Somebody latched onto "Atlas Shrugged", it confirmed a bias, and no effort has been made to read or understand the critiques. Just a bunch of commies like me. :wink:
  • NOS4A2

“The common good” is a phrase collectivists and utilitarians break out now and again to justify their schemes. You pretend to know it is, how to attain it, and then stack bodies to reach it.

I don’t suggest anything when it comes to global warming. Never have, never will. I’ll let you lot stress out about that.
  • James Riley
    “The common good” is a phrase collectivists and utilitarians break out now and again to justify their schemes. You pretend to know it is, how to attain it, and then stack bodies to reach it.NOS4A2

Is there another phrase you might use that is less offensive to you, but which gets at the same idea? Or are you just disputing that there is such a thing in the first place?

(By the way, you are right about the stacking of bodies to reach it. I'm a champion of the stacking of fascist, imperialist, communist, racist, slave-supporting bodies. You can never kill enough of them. In fact, our restraint in the past has them raising their ugly heads even to this day.)

I don’t suggest anything when it comes to global warming. Never have, never will. I’ll let you lot stress out about that.NOS4A2

I thought you had a secret way to do no harm. My bust. I must have misunderstood when you said:

My plan is the same as it always has been: to direct my own activities in a way that will not hurt the environment.NOS4A2
  • NOS4A2

I’m sure there are more words you can think of. Look how easy it was to list off the words you’ll affix to others as you murder them.

You did misunderstand. I don’t suggest anything. I don’t have advice. I don’t have words of encouragement. You’re asking the wrong guy.
  • James Riley
    I’m sure there are more words you can think of. Look how easy it was to list off the words you’ll affix to others as you murder them.NOS4A2

Oh, I'm satisfied with "common good." I was asking what you could think of. Apparently nothing?

You did misunderstand. I don’t suggest anything. I don’t have advice. I don’t have words of encouragement. You’re asking the wrong guy.NOS4A2

Okay, so you don't have a plan to direct your activities in a way that will not hurt the environment. Got it.
  • NOS4A2

I don’t think in those terms.

I plan to act as I always have. In other words, no plan at all. No suggestions, no advice, no plan, no secret way. Got it now?
  • James Riley
    I plan to act as I always have. In other words, no plan at all. No suggestions, no advice, no plan, no secret way. Got it now?NOS4A2

Right, I just said "Okay, so you don't have a plan to direct your activities in a way that will not hurt the environment. Got it."

I think it's pretty clear I got it.

So you were wrong when you said I misunderstood you. Got it.
  • Mikie
    I plan to act as I always have. In other words, no plan at all. No suggestions, no advice, no plan, no secret way.NOS4A2

:rofl:

No thoughts, no ideas, no principles. Just an affinity for slavery and authoritarianism. Oops, I mean "freedom."
  • Wheatley
    THE ANTI-URBAN DICTIONARY MANIFESTO

Ah, Wheatley! Wheatley, Wheatley, Wheatley... I would advise you not to cite this (um...garbage) "Urban Dictionary" in your posts. I know that as an intelligent fellow, you are above this. I have, upon occasion, received websearch "hits" of urban dictionary entries, and the inanity that I have always found there has ever left my head a-wagging. This site is only good for informing about how people in the ghetto, as well as "ghetto" people who live elsewhere than in the ghetto (following the cogent distinction originally forwarded by 'Malcolm X'), define the terms of their existence. Now, before anybody "gets their back up" about this, let me state overtly that these are not intended as remarks with any 'racial' connotations whatsoever, there being many 'caucasian' people who are subsumed within the group heretofore defined. This post is serious in nature, and intended to indicate a real folly.

Many most, of the entries in the U.D. are (a) both semantically and/or grammatically incorrect, (b) vulgar, and (c) exhibiting a degenerative mental orientation towards what I might call a "typically American 'ghetto' mythos". I mean, who writes this shit, "Cita" from "Cita's World"? The instant definition of "bandwagon" is illustrative of one of these inherent problems, particularly of "(a)" above, within the "Urban Dictionary". The Urban Dictionary entry for "bandwagon" states:
    bandwagon
    Taking interest in something just to fit in with the crowd.
    "Walker started watching Hockey because the Bruins where in the playoffs and everyone else was watching it. Walker is a major bandwagon."
    ...wherein the definition is faultily rendered in the sense of a deverbal adjective, to wit, a participle ("bandwagon" is a noun, not a verb or a verbal participle), and the usage example is given in an improperly nominative sense, that is, in the sense of a noun, but still incorrectly for being the wrong type of noun...that is, not as the specific type of derived noun (perhaps "bandwagoner", or "bandwagoneer" would be more correct?) which should be used within the example.

Please guys, let us refrain from ever citing the Urban Dictionary for any reason, as so doing would seem to have the power to reflect negatively upon the level of discourse here on TPF. If you need a lexicographic citation, the just use Wiktionary. At least then, you have definitions generally written by pro lexicographers or others interested in good lexicography. Any appearance of the U.D. on this site just reflects badly...
    Michael Zwingli
    :lol: :up:
  • ssu
    According to a poll, 44% of Democrats wants somebody else than Joe Biden to run in the next Presidential elections. That's somber news for Joe.

Then for the ugly side of the poll:

Half of Republicans, however, said former President Donald Trump has a better chance of winning in 2024 than any other GOP candidate on the ticket.

Another 35 per cent said they think someone else would have a better shot at winning the White House in 2024 than Trump and 14 per cent of Republicans and right-leaning voters said they are unsure.

So, Trump against somebody in 2024... oh what a rosy picture I can make in my mind about that! The US happily coming together again to decide an honorable leader for their country.

(Likely they won't name the campaign this, but it's likely how it would feel to the supporters:)
    Donald-Trump-2024.jpg
  • Streetlight
    To be fair everything you said ought to be a given. The only thing that would be a surprise is if all of what you just said was not the case.
  • frank

I heard some old guy say he didn't like Trump. That's my research.
  • Count Timothy von Icarus

Joe Biden will be almost 83 by the time the next election rolls around. It's not unreasonable that his party wants someone else. He wasn't an overwhelmingly popular pick for the position. He was chosen because the center of the party needed someone to coalesce around to defeat Sanders. It's entirely possible that his success was largely due to his staking out a position that he would refuse to drop out of the race, thus tanking the Democrats chances of winning the election (in the minds of centerists at least) unless other candidates dropped out to endorse him. Basically, he won by playing chicken. Now in office, he has little of the charisma and energy the crisis moment calls for and can't even get his own party to pass his agenda.

I mean, it seems highly probable that any of the several other centerists candidates would be President right now if they had been given similar support. What makes Biden the one?

On the upside for the Dems, a sizeable minority of Republicans hate Trump. He really tanked in the suburbs last time around. Picking shit fights with D list celebrities on Twitter at 2 AM on a work night only plays well with a certain crowd. A meaningful minority of the party thinks Trump lost the election fair and square, and then tried to subvert the democratic process to stay in power. Seeing as how he seems unable to move on from the defeat, he is now in the position of having to run on a claim that a around a fifth to a third of his party thinks is an abject lie. It's a terrible idea.

But then again, the Dems seem intent on continuing to push education reforms like getting rid of gifted programs that have extremely low support, so they have their own issues. That they are losing, not gaining support with minorities through the era of Trump, also seems to undermine some of their core claims about society.
  • Streetlight
    I mostly agree except I don't think Biden has much of an agenda except for having stopped Bernie, after which he - or whichever new corporate shill they put in his place - can in good conscience hand the presidency back to the Republicans on a silver platter. I think he's quite content with passing whatever middling, barely-there bills he can waddle though, provided they include tax cuts for the rich and new taxes on the poor. Also am alot less optimistic than you about the resistance to Trump among the Repubs - I think he's still their man.
  • jorndoe
    “The common good” is a phrase collectivists and utilitarians break out now and again to justify their schemes. You pretend to know it is, how to attain it, and then stack bodies to reach it.NOS4A2

Nonsense. :down:

Randians. :roll:

Common good (Wikipedia)
    The Common Good (SEP)
    What Is the Common Good in Political Science? Definition and Examples (Robert Longley)
  • Wheatley
    So, Trump against somebody in 2024ssu
    More likely he'll die from a heart attack because of his fast food diet.
  • ssu
    The only thing that would be a surprise is if all of what you just said was not the case.StreetlightX
    Well, a lot can happen in American politics by 2024. Yet again, some people even now seem to live in the 2016 elections.

More likely he'll die from a heart attack because of his fast food diet.Wheatley
    If you pin your hopes on that...

Let's not forget that the nausea in US politics isn't only because of Trump.
  • SpaceDweller
    Joe Biden farts on COP 26 event
  • Benkei
    Why is this news?
  • SpaceDweller

I'm not sure if I understand your question.

This news is circulating the internet probably to point out how world leaders don't give a sh* about climate change issues. (COP 26)

Since this thread is about Joe Biden, I though it would cool to post it here.
  • Benkei
    What? You've never fallen asleep during the plot of a movie? Closed your eyes on your book despite the resolution being close? Farted in public? Never been jetlagged? I'll talk to you when you're 83 and have problems going to the bathroom on your own.

I don't mind being critical about Biden but this is just bullshit.
  • SpaceDweller

Ah OK, I didn't think of this that way, sorry.
  • NOS4A2

"The common good before the individual good. (Gemeinnutz geht vor Eigennutz)"

"The Nazi 25-point Programme," Hitler's speech on party's program (February 24, 1920) in Munich, Germany. Nazi Ideology Before 1933: A Documentation, Barbara Miller Lane, ‎Leila J. Rupp, introduction and translation, Manchester University Press (1978) p. 43.
  • NOS4A2

That’s hilarious. Apparently Camilla couldn’t stop talking about it.

Camilla Parker Bowles can’t stop talking about Joe Biden’s ‘long fart’

House of Windsor meets the house of wind.
  • jorndoe
    , not quite so good after all, eh? Unlike infrastructure, electricity, clean water, sewage systems, respect as the default, organized health care, generally available education/school, whatever it all may be. We can, and do, figure out common good. Even if some sloganize and abuse verbiage.
  • jorndoe
    , , *haha* that is kind of funny. :D (I mean, not as a political or defamatory statement or anything like that, just the flatulent incident, not a huge embarrassment either.)
  • NOS4A2

The best we can do is allow the state to monopolize the “common good”. I guess it’s not as common or as good as we make it out to be.
  • James Riley
    The best we can do is allow the state to monopolize the “common good”.NOS4A2

Yep.

I guess it’s not as common or as good as we make it out to be.NOS4A2

But the best we can do. The best we've ever done.

Beats Squatter Sovereignty and any smaller constructions.
  • NOS4A2

I’m not so sure about that.

“You want to know what fascism is like? It is like your New Deal!”

- Benito Mussolini
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention