• Ken Edwards
    Good Luck

Here is what I think. I think that we human beings were not created all at once, all at one stroke. I think that we all evolved slowly over a period of 350 million years.
    I believe that all humans are of the same age.
    The very first living being with genes and reproductive facilities was born spontaneously in the ocean 350 million years ago and has never since died. It still lives. It has slowly evolved through millions of centuries into you and me and into all of the other millions of different forms of life on the planet earth and on the space station.
    We are all, in a very real sense, 350 million years old.
    But you, my friend, are the final you. And you soon will die.
    Every human being has always existed in one of two different shapes. He has always lived in the shape of a SPERM CELL or the shape of an OVA CELL.
    Except for this one brief moment, (today). We each exist today in the shape of the animal we see in a mirror.

In ALL of this 350 million years, only once have you and I ever seen the sun. Only once.
    All humans alive today have basked in the light of the sun. All humans alive today will take that vision with them to the grave. And that cold, cold grave will be the first and only time they will ever have experienced the cold of death in al their long, long lives.

But maybe not the last!
    There is still hope! Not for me, alas, but maybe for you!

Perhaps a single, tiny piece of you will travel down to your testicles and and will live there comfortably and will then be squirted into a living vagina.

And will live forever.

Good Luck, Ken Edwards
  • theRiddler
    Shouldn't you be busy putting razor blades in candy?
  • apokrisis
    I think that we human beings were not created all at once, all at one stroke. I think that we all evolved slowly over a period of 350 million years.Ken Edwards

If you are interested, this is why biologists distinguish between the mortal body and the immortal stem line. So it was a feature of sexual reproduction and basic to the needs of being able start building complex multicellular life about 2 billion years ago.

Nick Lane's The Vital Question covers this well.
  • praxis
    We are all, in a very real sense, 350 million years old. … Perhaps a single, tiny piece of you will travel down to your testicles and will live forever.Ken Edwards

I’m no biologist but I don’t thing anything needs to travel down to my balls for them to be fertile other than blood and stuff. I’m blood? And if I’m just an infinitesimal fraction of 350 million years of evolution it hardly seems like anything to get excited about. “I” am all but nothing.
  • theRiddler
    Our God is an awesome God
    We pray to our awesome God today
    He's an awesome God and he
    Is an awesome God to me
    He's an awesome God we pray
    To our awesome God today
    He's a very awesome God
    He's a very awesome God
  • Wheatley
    I have bad luck.
  • Shawn
    Antinatalists are screaming.
  • Shawn
    It's actually deafening.
  • James Riley

Sounds reasonable. Reminds me of the Aspen Tree, writ large. But I actually think it's writ even larger than you suggest.
  • Ken Edwards
    You say: Shouldn't you be busy putting razor blades in candy?

Sorry I don't get it.
  • Ken Edwards
    "I’m no biologist but I don’t thing anything needs to travel down to my balls for them to be fertile"

You're right. Your balls manufacture future yous, ie Sperm.

But, alas, mine don't anymore.
  • Ken Edwards
    Re - Our God is an awesome God.

I assume you refer to the God Jehovah, who is 11 billion years old. Or perhaps to his son, the God Jesus Christ. Or, if you are a Catholic, to the Goddess Mary, wife of the God Jehovah. Or perhaps to Allah said by Moslems to be the same God as Jehovah but denied by Christions.

Do you include me, Ken Edwards, in the word - "Our"? If so you err.

Please explain.
  • Ken Edwards
    Shawn says : "Antinatalists are screaming."
    Maybe I'm just dumb but I don't get it. I don't get the connection.

Please explain.
  • Ken Edwards
    Right on, apokrisis.
  • praxis
    Your balls manufacture future yous, ie Sperm.Ken Edwards

I had noting to do with the 350 million years of evolution and genetic information carried in the family jewels. If I’m any part of that, it’s so negligible as to be nonexistent in any real way. Our feelings about family and offspring are part of the design to continue the design, nothing more.
  • Ken Edwards
    You, praxis, are right if you are referring only to the collection of brain cells that comprise the conscious "you". But if you include your history then you err.

Existence or non existence cannot be affected by negligibility.
  • praxis
    But if you include your history then you err.Ken Edwards

What is a handful of years compared to 350 million? Practically nothing, but feels very important because that facilitates gene propagation.
  • Ken Edwards
    In my case, "a handful of years compared to 350 million" is whatever I think it is.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.