• Benkei
    So, barring illness Trump will be the next president of the USA, simply by virtue of him not being in a position to fuck things up whereas Biden will. How should other countries react to the fascist douche being elected?
  • Shawn
    Another round of international silence.

Thank God he's not a neo-con.
  • Michael
    How often does an incumbent lose?
  • Wheatley
    How should other countries react to the fascist douche being elected?Benkei
    Perhaps with a threat of economic sanctions because Americans care passionately about their economy. It's better than tempting another world war (supposing there is an up-rise of right wing nationalism).
  • Changeling
    it will be donald trump Jr, the worm-looking guy with the fake stick-on beard, snorter of iron filings
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDXbYkgAchBp0KAUMliEKG2J-_Z8tUpJ6RYA&usqp=CAU
  • Hanover
    Perhaps with a threat of economic sanctions because Americans care passionately about their economy. It's better than tempting another world war (supposing there is an up-rise of right wing nationalism).Wheatley

Oh please. The EU fears US sanctions more than the US fears the EU. Trump, despite his many many many flaws is dovish, if for no other reason than he's protectionist.
  • frank
    Did you know that in Spanish "USA" is "EU"?

Estado Unidos.
  • Changeling
    and "grape" in Spanish is "UVA" - similar to USA... :chin:
  • Wheatley
    Trump, despite his many many many flaws is dovishHanover
    If that be the case i think it's inaccurate to call him a fascist in the same sense that Hitler and Mussolini were fascist.
  • Hanover
    that be the case i think it's inaccurate to call him a fascist in the same sense that Hitler and Mussolini were fascist.Wheatley

Yeah, but they were a bit hawkish.
  • Apollodorus
    How should other countries react to the fascist douche being elected?Benkei

1. I think that unless Biden makes some serious blunders or fails on health reasons, it is unlikely Trump will be elected.

2. Trump is less fascist than Xi.

3. So, irrespective of who the POTUS is, I think the EU and the West in general should form a united front with Russia, India, and Japan against China.
  • frank

Holy shit. It's all starting to make sense.
  • Wheatley
    Yeah, but they were a bit hawkishHanover
    Point taken. We will call trump a non-hawkish fascist!
  • Wheatley
    Trump is less fascist than Xi.Apollodorus
    But is president Xi a threat to the EU? If so, who's a bigger threat to the European Union? The United States (under fascist Trump) or China?
  • Apollodorus
    But is Xi a threat to the EU?Wheatley

I think he is. Not (yet) militarily, but certainly economically the EU is becoming dangerously dependent on China. With economic influence, sooner or later comes political influence and interference.

Which option should the EU go for? A divided world dominated by fascist China or a united world keeping Chinese expansionism under control?
  • Wheatley
    Which option should the EU go for? A divided world dominated by fascist China or a united world keeping Chinese expansionism under control?Apollodorus
    Why even bring China into this? Chinese expansionism is a separate issue. The OP is about Trump America.
  • Apollodorus

The OP title says "What should the EU do when Trump wins the election?" So I think it is about the EU. And the EU has close economic links with China, not only with the US.

The EU can't suddenly forget or ignore China just because America changes presidents. International relations operate within a global situation, not in some isolated EU-US rapport.
  • Wheatley
    So I think it is about the EUApollodorus
    Yeah, i don't really care about the EU.
  • Manuel

Well, let's wait to cross that bridge.

Having said that, there's little reason to suspect the EU will do much of anything. What could they do? Sanction the US or get out of NATO? They rely on NATO for defense.

If they had balls, they'd try to improve relations with other big powers, instead of following Washington in many aspects of FP. There are exceptions true, but the EU needs a dose of actual democracy.

The EU itself, as it currently exists, is extremely anti-democratic, relying on fanatical market bureaucrats. Maybe Trump winning again they'd talk about doing something, and then they'd do nothing.
  • Wheatley
    Sanction the US or get out of NATO? They rely on NATO for defense.Manuel
    French president Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel have both expressed their support for a joint European army.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_army

Who's the fascist now?
  • Baden
    So, barring illness Trump will be the next president of the USA simply by virtue of him not being in a position to fuck things up whereas Biden will.Benkei

Does mental illness count? Anyhow, no he won't because rabbits are cute. And my argument is just as strong as yours.
  • Manuel

Yes, that's what they do talk. In that same article you provide it says:

"Currently, there is no such army, and defence is a matter for the member states." and "NATO has been described as the "biggest obstacle" to a European army."

I don't what you are talking about with the fascist question.
  • Shawn

You can't spin elections, can you?
  • Apollodorus
    The EU itself, as it currently exists, is extremely anti-democratic, relying on fanatical market bureaucrats. Maybe Trump winning again they'd talk about doing something, and then they'd do nothing.Manuel

Something doesn't seem quite right with the EU. It isn't for nothing that the UK got out and apparently Poland and others are beginning to have second thoughts.

It's a shame really because I think Europe needs to be united in order to survive. The question is how to get a democratic leadership when the interests of corporations and their political collaborators are put before the interests of the people ....
  • Wheatley
    I don't what you are talking about with the fascist question.Manuel
    Nevermind the fascist point. I had something else in mind. :yikes:

But the again EU is anti-democratic, and they also want and army... :grimace:
  • Janus
    Estado Unidos.frank

Sorry for being pedantic, but it's Los Estados Unidos. otherwise it'd be el estado unido: the united state or. in other words, consciousness. :wink:
  • James Riley
    The idea that Trump is not hawkish is, if true, limited to foreign states. I have no doubt he would not heistate to turn his brown-shirts loose on Americans if they threatened his ratings with his sheep.

As to the EU, anyone who wanted to bring the U.S. to heel need only come up with a viable PetroEuro or PetroYuan. We'd be a third world country overnight.
  • Manuel

Yes. Varoufakis and Mody document this quite well.

I agree, they should unite in a kind of "United States of Europe", but the current system they have is crazy. They impose austerity on each other and central bank don't give a damn about anything but inflation.

After two World Wars, one would think they've learned fighting each other is no good.
  • Manuel
    The idea that Trump is not hawkish is, if true, limited to foreign states. I have no doubt he would not heistate to turn his brown-shirts loose on Americans if they threatened his ratings with his sheep.James Riley

Not for no lack of trying. He wanted to provoke a war with Iran by assassinating Soleimani. Iran did not take the bait, despite having ships near there territorial waters.

Not to mention this insane turn in policy with Taiwan, which, if continues as is, might well destroy us all. And I'm not exaggerating.
  • Shawn
    ?Baden

Trump would like to spin anything in what he does and somehow come out superior. But, the dementia seems to show when he tried to spin the 2020 elections.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment