• Yohan
    ↪Yohan Fairy nuff!Janus
    Hehe, should I take that as a nickname?
    From the way you talk, I get the impression you are a low level expert at problem solving.
    Can you solve this? Isn't part of being stupid lacking self-awareness? Don't the stupidest people not know they are stupid?
    What I'm wondering is, is it possible I am stupid but don't know I am? Am I accepting the label of being stupid without knowing what it means?
    Can you infer from what you have seen from my posts if:
    1. I am in fact stupid
    2. I am aware that I am stupid (not just convinced the label fits me based on what other's have said.)
    For the record, for me 'stupid' means, off the top of my head, doing something without good reason. I don't know why I do the things I do. I just follow impulse. I have thoughts which tell me 'this is the reasonable thing to do'. Which I follow, but I never know if my thoughts are telling me the truth, or if my thoughts are just justifying a preferred course of action. I think the latter is more likely.
    Edit: I want to add one final clue. I am proud of my stupidity. I don't really know why, other than I feel like "reason" is against me getting what I want. I feel like I am going against Big Brother Reason in his attempt to stomp down on everyone's Natural Birth Right Of Pure Instinct.
    Thanks for playing, if you do!
  • Yohan
    accidental double post
  • Yohan
    Accidental double post again
  • Janus
    I get the impression you are a low level expert at problem solving.
    Can you solve this?
    Yohan

Why would you ask a low level expert? "Low level expert" is either a non sequitur or an irony; does that answer your question?
  • Mikie

:lol:

My all-time favorite comedian.
  • Janus
    :rofl: Brilliant!
  • Yohan
    Why would you ask a low level expert?Janus
    An expert is someone who has a good grasp on something, enough to which they can consistently perform well at that thing, as compared to non-experts who don't have a good grasp, and who's performance is hit or miss in quality.
    Expertise does not mean pinnacle of potential, but consistent proficiency.
    "Leading expert" denotes one considered to be at or near the top of the living expertise hierarchy. A 'Master" is even higher than an expert, having not only reached the pinnacle, but is able to use the skill effortless grace (something like that).
    "Low level expert" is either a non sequitur or an irony; does that answer your question?Janus
    It does answer one of my questions, in that you are implying, I believe, that you think I am stupid, at least some times.
    Edit: I still wonder if its possible for me to be consciously stupid. I am open to any others opinion on this matter. Because according to my definition of stupid, I am stupid. The again, who cares really.
  • Janus
    Expertise does not mean pinnacle of potential, but consistent proficiency.Yohan

For me expertise means mastery, not merely proficiency, and "leading expert" would be equivalent to 'grand master', or the one who leads the lesser masters. But all terms are somewhat elastic, and people have different interpretations based on the associations that have gained ascendancy in their consciousness by serendipitous attention to some among the diverse usages.

It does answer one of my questions, in that you are implying, I believe, that you think I am stupid, at least some times.Yohan

No, I wasn't implying that, I was just presenting a different interpretation.
  • Janus
    “We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” (Demon Haunted World)Xtrix

Nice summation!
  • 180 Proof
    Jean-François Marmion180 Proof
    :smirk:

:up:
  • Philofile
    For me expertise means mastery, not merely proficiency, and "leading expert" would be equivalent to 'grand master', or the one who leads the lesser mastersJanus

What should an expert in physics master?
  • Philofile
    Stupidity is fucking up the planet we live on. Gaining capital. Adhering to the product. Constructing, constructing, growing, growing, more, more, higher, higher, further, further, faster, faster, untill the economic train can't be stopped anymore and flies down and crashes with an all destroying BANG!. Hey! Light at the end of the tunnel! No...It's another train coming...
  • Philofile
    Of course people like to live comfartably and go to the movies or fun park and have a good diner. But why is growth necessary? Economical growth. That's stupid.
  • T Clark

You are also free to treat people honorably.
  • Philofile
    You are also free to treat people honorably.T Clark

Indeed! And I do! I love people!
  • T Clark

You are behaving dishonorably on the forum.
  • Philofile
    dishonorablyT Clark

WTF is dishonorable? Honest?
  • Janus
    Physics? :roll:
  • Valentinus
    So, not "selective attention" then but traumatically induced inability to attend?Janus

The OP presents stupidity as a condition that exists in a different way than any sort of continuum where people operate with varying capacities and interests to learn new things. We all have to function somewhere along a continuum of learning capacity. Being stupid is recognized as something that happens to people throughout the continuum but particularly to those at the lower end of the learning ability scale. There is a punitive quality to being stupid, like getting hit on the head with a stick.

When used as pejorative, it implies a kind of will-fullness not present in being charged with being "clueless" or the like. It is as if Stupid had a life of its own.
  • Janus
    Yes there is no guarantee that the stupid are capable of being anything other than stupid, but likewise there is no guarantee that they are not either.
  • Manuel
    It's probably a good idea to avoid stupidity, in as much as one is aware of it in the first place.

A whole other issue, which perhaps is correlated would be to give some structure to our ignorance. That's what I think of when I learn something, becoming more aware of my own ignorance.

Whatever else stupid people may or may not have in common, modesty or humility is not frequent.
  • Caldwell
    Your manifesto would be more meaningful to me if I thought what you consider stupid and what I do are the same.T Clark
    I haven't read through the entire thread, so I don't know if at one point, it's been defined here. But examples would be helpful -- I mean, is it stupid to be unaware of instances of stupidity? My example is when someone falls for scammers whose antics have been all over the internet or in news coverage.
  • tim wood
    The scammers prey on the stupid. And that's admittedly a bit harsh, but if you've been taken, how do you feel? Ans.: stupid! And some scams are deliberately ridiculous because the scammer does not want to waste his time on people with any sense. So while you're deleting an email saying to yourself, "What kind of stupid do you have to be to answer one of these," someone out there is doing just that.

My broader definition of stupid is unnecessary behavior that makes the world a worse place or has a potential for making the world a worse place, and that covers a very wide range of behaviors.
  • 180 Proof
    My broader definition of stupid is unnecessary behavior that makes the world a worse place or has a potential for making the world a worse place, and that covers a very wide range of behaviors.tim wood
    :up:
  • Noble Dust
    Thank g()d I'm mensa-level but choose not to join.
  • Caldwell
    My broader definition of stupid is unnecessary behavior that makes the world a worse place or has a potential for making the world a worse place, and that covers a very wide range of behaviors.tim wood
    Like the Chernobyl incident and Exxon-Valdez?

Thank g()d I'm mensa-level but choose not to join.Noble Dust
    :halo:
  • Noble Dust

Interpret that as you will
  • Caldwell
    Interpret that as you willNoble Dust
    Okay, cause when I read your post, the first thing that came to mind was you're a mensa-level stupid, but refused to join the club of stupid people. Sorry. I mean we're in the stupid thread after all. :blush:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment