• Maw
    I'm also only maybe 40% serious about this
  • SophistiCat
    No, in practice I could look at an insane post like this, look at their bio, and if they were, say, 17 years old I could happily move on and ignore them entirely.Maw

What I mind is wasting time with a moronic interlocutor who turns out to be in college or a Roger Scruton fan.Maw

So for you it's perfectly fine to waste your time on crazy or stupid people, as long as they are above 23. That's just bizarre. I judge people by their posts, not their age. If I see someone making consistently inane or insane posts, I start ignoring them, no matter how old they are.
  • Maw
    So for you it's perfectly fine to waste your time on crazy or stupid people, as long as they are above 23.SophistiCat

For adults it's initially amusing until it quickly devolves into repetition which it typically does when one side isn't capable of having a dialectical conversation. Not amusing if it's a kid. And unfortunately there are quite a few inane or outright insane posters on this site, so it's difficult to avoid.
  • praxis
    And unfortunately there are quite a few inane or outright insane posters on this site, so it's difficult to avoid.Maw

We only take you about 40% seriously so it all works out nice and tidy.
  • Banno
    Yeah, I've read some of your posts. Nuh.
  • Maw
    there are quite a few inane or outright insane posters on this siteMaw

We only take you about 40% seriously so it all works out nice and tidy.praxis

Sounds like you just included yourself in that inane/insane posters group, so that does work out all nice and tidy.
  • praxis

You speak as though I were 100% serious. :lol:
  • frank
    there are quite a few inane or outright insane posters on this siteMaw

Are you inane? Never. Apparently mentally unsound? Usually.
  • counterpunch
    I once used a politics forum that had a panel on the front page showing who's online now.
  • Banno
    If we ban the kids, we could go back to reading texts rather than having to sit through tedious YouTube videos.
  • Streetlight
    But it is part of our vocation to corrupt the youth.
  • Banno
    I do that in my day job.
  • Pinprick
    I personally don’t have much in the way of complaints about this forum, but reading some of the complaints other members have gave me a couple ideas.

I think one of the more common issues is new members seemingly posting the first thing that comes to their mind, and not really taking the time to get a feel for the forum, etc. So, what if there was a mandatory waiting period for new members before they could post? I think that would encourage new members to spend some time on the forum before posting to at least see what type of posts are preferred, and which are not.

Another idea would be to create a thread that new members must post in before being allowed to post elsewhere. The thread could require them to post their favorite rule from the guidelines thread, or maybe the rule they think will be difficult to follow, need clarification on, etc. Really just anything that forces members to at least look at the guidelines. I dunno, just some ideas I thought I’d share…
  • Amity
    I think one of the more common issues is new members seemingly posting the first thing that comes to their mind, and not really taking the time to get a feel for the forum, etcPinprick

For newcomers, rather than a 'Shoutbox' or a 'Symposium' as the first thing you see, I think it would foster a better sense of community and encourage participation if there was some kind of a big 'Welcome' mat hung out. With a clear explanation of how things work.

There are so many wonderful features and functions available but not everyone knows how to use them. Even some 'oldies' are still wrapping their heads around them.

Just look at the format menu along the top of message box you are writing in.
    Some are self-explanatory but...
    The Quote bubble, the links chain, the @ sign and whatever else is along there ?

It would be more user-friendly if a clear explanation could be given in one place: a 'Welcome' thread.

As things stand we have this:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/page/useful-hints-and-tips
    which leads to this:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/6319/useful-hints-and-tips
    It could be so much better...

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
    Sometimes Mostly, admin and mods do listen and take action or not. Depending.
    They do a great job - and this TPF is the only place I would recommend for any newcomers...
    Even if there is a lot of harping on and comparisons with the 'old place'.
    Still - after all these years... :roll:
  • Jamal
    I think one of the more common issues is new members seemingly posting the first thing that comes to their mind, and not really taking the time to get a feel for the forum, etc. So, what if there was a mandatory waiting period for new members before they could post? I think that would encourage new members to spend some time on the forum before posting to at least see what type of posts are preferred, and which are not.Pinprick

In my experience, spending more time on the forum is not going to cure problem members of their problem posting, so I don't think it's worth it, and puts an annoying barrier in the way of good members.

Another idea would be to create a thread that new members must post in before being allowed to post elsewhere. The thread could require them to post their favorite rule from the guidelines thread, or maybe the rule they think will be difficult to follow, need clarification on, etc. Really just anything that forces members to at least look at the guidelines. I dunno, just some ideas I thought I’d share…Pinprick

This in my opinion is even worse. Many potentially good members would just leave at that point. I know I would.
  • Jamal
    There are so many wonderful features and functions available but not everyone knows how to use them. Even some 'oldies' are still wrapping their heads around them.

Just look at the format menu along the top of message box you are writing in.
    Some are self-explanatory but...
    The Quote bubble, the links chain, the sign and whatever else is along there ?

It would be more user-friendly if a clear explanation could be given in one place: a 'Welcome' thread.
    Amity

People do fine and there's no need for a manual. The functionality is either obvious or can be discovered by experimenting. Or members can ask if they're having trouble with anything.

On the other hand, maybe the Useful hints and tips could go at the top of the main discussion list instead of in the side menu where it is now. It's very far from a pressing need though.
  • Amity

Thanks for listening and quick response.
    Nothing on here is a 'pressing need'.
  • Pinprick

This in my opinion is even worse. Many potentially good members would just leave at that point. I know I would.jamalrob

Lol, that’s why you’re the boss! :grin:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Even if there is a lot of harping on and comparisons with the 'old place'.
    Still - after all these years... :roll:
    Amity

Yes it has a name: nostalgia and is a very important part of who we are and today for it is where we come from.

I personally like the idea of nostalgia in my bio in that we are all longing to go home, a place half invisioned and a place half remembered.
  • Amity
    Have just discovered a forum feature re 'View Answer' - in use here:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/11057/what-is-your-understanding-of-reality/p1

Edit: I have changed title, to make it more a topic for philosophy reflection, because I was a bit surprised by how the topic was being explored. Of course, it may not alter any answer because the objective idea of reality may be the way you see it anyway.

View Answer
    Jack Cummins

The Question and current title: ' What is your understanding of 'reality' ?

When you click on it, it takes you to an 'Accepted answer':
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/543738

Have never used this - so have no idea where it is.
    Anyone help with further information ?
  • Amity
    Anyone help with further information ?Amity

Never mind. I got an answer from @Jack Cummins:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/543923
  • god must be atheist
    I inserted the following post in the "Bannings" forum, as its subject is tightly bound to that topic area. I was asked nicely to post it here instead. So I did.

------------------------------------

Today I started a thread in the Lounge forum, and now I realize it ought to have been inserted here.

Here's the body of my original post for that thread in its entirety. I offer it for consideration to the executive body of the forum... that is, for the moderators to decide if this proposal should be used or not, in the way I wrote it or in some other forms with parameters changed.

-----------------------------------

There is no hard-and-fast rules for ousting members. Some guidelines are presented.

I suggest that a number be established within a time frame. The number be X, and the time frame, a period Y.

In this scheme, if any user can be shown clearly without a shadow of doubt that the user uttered greater than X number of logical fallacies within a time period of Y, then the moderators can be asked by users to exclude the offender from membership. Temporarily at first offence, for a longer period temporarily for the second offence, then permanently at the third offence.

I suggest, X to be 10, and Y to be a week (seven days duration). There would be a time period Z, the passing of which past the last day of Y would declare amnesty for the offender. That is, if no one brings a complaint against the offender by the end of Z, then a statute of limitations will apply after Z period, which could be a month (Z=30 days).

I really wish this to be made effective. It is a philosophy forum. Here the only "judge" should be reason and lack of ill or faulty reason. If someone keeps using faulty reasons, by way of using fallacies and other errors in arguments, then it must be punished, for they insult the judge itself.
  • Jack Cummins

I have already replied in the lounge, but I am feeling so extremely irritated with your idea, and it seems that you are serious about trying to get implemented by placing it here.

I see the idea of setting up a system of counting the number of fallacies and trying to 'punish' people and even ban people as extremely worrying. Of course, the use of reason is important, but there is more to philosophy discourse than that, especially on a forum, because it is about people interacting with each other about ideas. That in itself is complex, involving power dynamics. I think that the forum would be ruined completely if exclusions and bannings were implemented too easily, especially on the basis of users' wishes for this to happen being met by moderators.
  • Jamal
    Don't worry Jack, it won't happen. It's the worst idea I've ever heard.
  • Jack Cummins

I am glad to hear your reassurance because the whole idea got me really wound up when I saw it first thing today.
  • bongo fury

You are adorable. Is it an act?
  • Jack Cummins

I did get extremely wound up, so I am about to go out. I must have read too much John Bunyan, and I am saying that because I grew up fairly near to your location, Bedford.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'm really missing the IM function of the old days.
    Cost containment?
    Or not even an option within Plush?
    Just curious :flower:
  • Banno
    I thought there was an ignore list, such that posts from folk on the list became invisible.

I would like to try it, but can't find the option.

Is it still a feature?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.