• Agustino
    "Won't the difference be one of battle cry?" >:O Wittgenstein was just pure genius! 8-)
  • SophistiCat
    This is genius.
  • unenlightened
    I have found out where the truth is. It is in the two-goldfish-breaking-out-of-the-bowl god.
  • Banno
    Thank you.
  • Banno
    the two-goldfish-breaking-out-of-the-bowl god.unenlightened

Pictures, or it didn't happen.
  • 0 thru 9
    Rabbit season! Duck season! Rabbit seaon! Duck season! Rabbit season!
    Rabbit season! I say its Duck season, now go ahead and shoot! Ka-Blammm!!!
    Yoourrr dessspicable!
    That's all folks! :D
  • Janus

Brilliant! The great existential questions...Fuck a duck? Or root like rabbits?
  • Pneumenon
    Damn you, I was gonna make that joke!!

A Spinozist might reply with "Duck God, Rabbit Nature".
  • 0 thru 9

What's up, doc? ;) Those cartoons were the best. The characters were my role models growing up. Which now that i think about it, may explain some of the problems i have had, even tho i own a mansion and a yacht!
  • Wayfarer
    The religious wars of Europe were never said to be about 'which God' but about the form of the Church, and all of the social and political consequences of that.
  • Thorongil
    I have doubts that Christians and Muslims, say, worship the same God, if that's what the comic is trying to claim.
  • Agustino
    I have doubts that Christians and Muslims, say, worship the same God, if that's what the comic is trying to claim.Thorongil
    Why? I'm genuinely curious about this, because you are a student of religion yourself, and I myself have never studied Islam. So what makes you say this? Can you cite the most significant points, in say bulletpoint format with regards to Islam that makes you say this?
  • Thorongil
    It opens up a huge can of philosophy of language worms that I am not fully conversant in, but suffice it to say that if the Trinity, for example, is an essential property of God, and not an accidental one, then to deny this property is not to worship the same God. The referent of the word "God" cannot be the same.

At the very least, I am irritated by people (mostly on the left) who arrogantly bloviate about the alleged self-evidence that Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same God. It's not self-evident and to settle the issue requires knowledge of very abstruse problems in logic and the philosophy of language, ones I freely admit ignorance of myself.
  • Agustino
    Okay I see your point.
  • Wayfarer
    I have doubts that Christians and Muslims, say, worship the same God,Thorongil

Discussed here.
  • BC
    have doubts that Christians and Muslims, say, worship the same God, if that's what the comic is trying to claim.Thorongil

I'm not sure that any two Christians (or two Jews, two Moslems) are necessarily worshipping the same God. But when we move from Judaism to Christianity to Islam, it seems far less likely that the same God is the subject of the separate devotions (assuming that gods exist at all).

One can wonder whether the very earliest Christians, who were also monotheistic Jews, even worshipped the same Jesus who Christians worshipped once the Trinity was established. I'm not sure whether Jesus would have recognized himself in that construction.
  • andrewk
    If philosophers can't agree on whether a person instantiated in a human body today is the 'same' person as the one that was instantiated in that body yesterday, it's hard to see any prospect for making sense of whether different people's notions of a deity are the 'same' deity.

Per David Chalmers - A verbal dispute.
  • Punshhh
    I photographed this duck rabbit recently, I wonder if the graffiti artist was drawing a bird, or rabbit.

image.jpg
  • Shawn
    In one word, well actually two: language games. Same ancestry though!
  • TheMadFool
    Thanks. I had a good laugh.

However, despite how funny the cartoon is I couldn't help but feel both sad and scared at

1. The obvious cruelty of god in making us kill and hurt each other

AND

2. The obvious folly of human stupidity
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal