• Hanover
    You consider yourself equally well off with either, and neither better than the other? With discernment like that, no owl is ever going to fly for you!tim wood

Some problems have no good solution, like which baby should I throw overboard to keep the ship from sinking? Abstaining is a reasonable choice.
  • Hanover
    Indeed some do, and for better or worse. And usually to have some effect. But you did nothing - what is that going to achieve?.tim wood

To the extent someone is listening, they'll work harder next time for my vote.
  • frank

The water quality guy is more important than the president anyway.
  • Pfhorrest
    And that would be fair enough, if neither was an option!tim wood

Exactly: whether you order chicken shit or dog shit or nothing, you’re getting force-fed some kind of shit or another.
  • tim wood
    Well, that is the point. You can "abstain," but that saves no one nor anything. Some baby is going over, and you're opportunity to save you're too precious to take.
  • Hanover
    Well, that is the point. You can "abstain," but that saves no one nor anything. Some baby is going over, and you're opportunity to save you're too precious to take.tim wood

Your consequentialist talk disrupts my temporarily Kantian mind. Kant says the morally correct choice is to watch the boat sink. Call me foolish, but there is principle behind my madness.
  • praxis
    which baby should I throw overboard to keep the ship from sinking?Hanover

37179926_497941943957234_4295809959993540608_n.jpg
  • tim wood
    Mww! Mww! Bite him!

And he says no such thing! Duty! That's what he was on about, and the freedom to do it. You had the freedom and the duty - the imperative! Your only defense is that you cannot tell the difference between the candidates in any way that matters. Not a defense that adds to your glory.

And as to the efficacy of nothing, we both know what Shakespeare said about nothing, don't we.
  • tim wood
    Lol. The English have the touch. It's an English balloon, yes?
  • Kenosha Kid
    Jesus, how can you not vote for Trump, he said he won the Nobel peace prize like TWICE!!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    I cast my ballot today, and y'all will all be relieved that as to the presidential race, I voted for nobody, which I do believe will be better than either of the candidates.Hanover

I salute you :up:

I voted for nobody ...
    — Hanover
    Aka "whoever wins".
    180 Proof

Nobody is going to win here...we are all losers in this one.
  • praxis
    Bicontinental actually.
  • 180 Proof
    Yeah, but these losses are not the same - it's the difference between amputating both your legs (Sleepy Joe) and cutting off your head (Donny Bone Spurs).
  • Changeling
    sounds like the US is the black knight:
  • Maw
    Either way we are gonna bleed to death!
  • 180 Proof
    Definitely the latter, so I'll take my chances with the former.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

Living with no legs doesn't really sound like the better option. At least decapitation is a really cool death, and living headless (hypothetically speaking) is also a very appealing prospect.

Either way we are gonna bleed to death!Maw
    Exactly.
  • Maw
    Definitely the latter, so I'll take my chances with the former.180 Proof

Yeah I live in New York where my vote will not matter towards the EC, and yet will still (99% likely) vote for Biden in order to boost the difference in the popular vote (should a number of things go wrong). However, I also anticipate the political ineptitude of a Biden administration to willfully confront various issues which demand immediate and radical solutions. To @Merkwurdichliebe point, we are all losers in this one: "losing one's legs" (i..e Biden presidency) makes us (i.e. the Left) "losers". We can accept this now and strategize rather than seemingly remain complacent with it.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    It's all been steadily going downhill since Reagan. Nothing in our present field of view remotely indicates the slightest desire to alter direction. I see nothing short of radical violent revolution as a viable means for actual reform in the government. Unfortunately, judging from the current attitude of the youth in America, it is likely such a thing would propel the US into a Soviet-esque nightmare. Shit is bad, and ain't nothing Biden or Trump can do.
  • Punshhh
    Nobody is going to win here...we are all losers in this one.
    That sort of complacency will let the commies in.

Or in other words, it's ok to chop your own head off in a world without commies, but not in one where they lie in wait.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    That sort of complacency will let the commies in.

Or in other words, it's ok to chop your own head off in a world without commies, but not in one where they lie in wait.
    Punshhh

I didn't want to do it, but you are forcing me to say:
    I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
  • Changeling
    communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracyMerkwurdichliebe

Are you talking about the PF?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    no, I'm goofing around. It's a strangelove quote. Incredible how relevant it is today, isn't it?
  • NOS4A2
    Amy Coney Barrett was just sworn in yesterday. She is Trump’s third Supreme Court appointee. Another originalist on the court is a good thing in my estimation. But the political hand-wringing is equally as fascinating and satisfying.
  • tim wood
    It's all been steadily going downhill since Reagan.Merkwurdichliebe

Sweet Jesus! It started with him, not since him! The slime, mold, and fungus that is the American right just opportunistically rose up and overwhelmed him like an abandoned house in the country, no one home. And he not only helpless against them, but a buyer and retailor of their poison.
  • tim wood
    Another originalist on the court is a good thing in my estimation.NOS4A2
    Disagree. But even that is irrelevant. She really should have been able to rattle off the first amendment freedoms. Or, what good originalism if you don't know the text!

And for you, nos4, this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxaDwOCXD8
    Speech start at 4:00.

34 minutes well-spent. Come back and agree with me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.