• _db
    Until they come back again... :worry:
  • Kevin
    Electoral college/supreme court involvement still seem like possible intrusions on whatever popular vote is, no?
  • Harry Hindu
    I quite like the pathetic focus on Hunter Biden.StreetlightX
    Puuhhhh-leeeze. :roll:
    As if you wouldnt be focused on Trump Jr. as evidence that Trump is incapable if Trump Jr. had a similar story being circulated.

The political hypocrisy is soooo old and tiresome.

Ultimately it doesnt even matter what the Reps and Dems think about this, as it predictably falls along party lines. What ultimately matters is what Independents think about it.
  • Baden

Lessons in how to be wrong. Again. Street is the one poster who has been criticising since day 1, in the strongest possible terms, the emphasis on personality, especially re Trump.
  • Streetlight
    :kiss:

Also obligatory wet blanket:

• Michael
    I'd never heard of him until a couple of days ago. He's great.
  • praxis
    Also, incumbents are harder to beat, and Trump doesn't have a problem with using resources paid for by taxpayers for campaigning.
  • Ciceronianus
    Oh, you're Dutch? Cool.Benkei

A Dutch Uncle, perhaps.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    As if you wouldnt be focused on Trump Jr. as evidence that Trump is incapable if Trump Jr. had a similar story being circulated.Harry Hindu

Why focus on, or even look for possible misdeeds of Trump Jr., when one just needs to look at the President himself, to be overwhelmed.
  • Streetlight
    He's great.Michael

Yeah! His whole vibe is my jam. When I am grumpy here I am Pie grumpy.
  • Changeling
    I'd never heard of him until a couple of days ago.Michael

I was posting his videos here way before @StreetlightX

I'm the real trendsetter.
  • Streetlight
    Everyone is entitled to a slice of Pie.
  • Harry Hindu
    Why focus on, or even look for possible misdeeds of Trump Jr., when one just needs to look at the President himself, to be overwhelmed.Metaphysician Undercover
    As if misdeeds only began when Trump became president. :roll:

The size and power the U.S. govt. has accumulated over the years and the way theyve handled that power as a means to divide us and pit us against each other is the greatest misdeed of them all.

You, Baden, Street, and 180 cant see beyond your politically partisan goggles you have on to see that you are pawns in this bi-polar, partisan game that is being played. You all keep promoting the status quo and contradicting yourself.

Please dont call yourselves "progressives" if your voting for the old racist white guy that has been in power for nearly 50 years. Dont complain about systemic racism and white privilege and then go vote for the old racist white guy that has been in power for nearly 50 years. Dont expect anyone to take anything you say seriously when you do such things.

Abolish political parties and then you limit group think. I know you all know how to apply logic, as i see you call others out in other philosophical domains when logic is not being applied properly, so why abandon logic when it comes to politucs? Because most people have emotionally invested themselves in the "truths" that the political parties spin, just like a religion.
  • Benkei
    Love the holier than thou and no true Scotsman thinking gripping this thread now. Bullshit all around as usual.
  • Harry Hindu
    So independent, NPA voters are now "holier than thou"?

No, Benkei. We are simply tired of the hypocrisy.
  • Benkei
    wait, what, you're a progressive? :rofl:
  • Baden

Silly... Street and I (but especially Street) have laid into Biden harder than anyone else on these boards and 180 is no fan either.

Just one random example :

What's absurd to me is to expect the left to vote for a right-winger who doesn't support universal healthcare and on foreign policy leans more imperialist than Trump. Not only that, but who's fully integrated into a corrupt system where both parties compete for special-interest money.

If you ask yourself who Biden's major donors are, what their price for supporting him is, and how much that price gels with the left's priorities, you should realize there's virtually no overlap there. So with Biden, not only does the left not get what it wants (like with Trump), it's actively responsible for not getting what it wants. It's the difference between being punched in the face vs punching yourself in the face. In only one of those cases can some honor be salvaged.
    Baden

You can take your foot out of your mouth now. In future, please wake up and pay attention.
  • praxis
    The size and power the U.S. govt. has accumulated over the years and the way theyve handled that power...Harry Hindu

I think maybe the “truths” of your religious political beliefs are showing.
  • 180 Proof
    Pay attention: A Biden vote is only a tactic and not the strategy, just as Trump is only a symptom (much moreso than Biden) of the deeper rot in American society; in other words, an Anti-Trump vote (esp. in a swing state) is not pro-Biden. :mask:
  • Baden

Yes, the last couple of months of racist and fascist "dog whistles" (bullhorns) have convinced me that a swing state anti-Trump vote for Biden can be seen as tactically pro-left.
  • Echarmion
    Please dont call yourselves "progressives" if your voting for the old racist white guy that has been in power for nearly 50 years. Dont complain about systemic racism and white privilege and then go vote for the old racist white guy that has been in power for nearly 50 years. Dont expect anyone to take anything you say seriously when you do such things.Harry Hindu

Ah, the good old hypocrisy fallacy. You don't get to decide what people are allowed to complain about. What matters is whether the complaint is warranted, not whether or not the person making it meets your standard of purity.

Abolish political parties and then you limit group think.Harry Hindu

Yeah, that worked very well in the USSR. Or Nazi Germany.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    The size and power the U.S. govt. has accumulated over the years and the way theyve handled that power as a means to divide us and pit us against each other is the greatest misdeed of them all.Harry Hindu

It's not the "U.S. govt." (governing system in place) which commits the misdeeds, it's the individuals and groups of people involved in governing who do that. Some of these people have a divisive attitude, some have a unifying attitude. It's not fair to class everyone who is involved in governing as actively using the power derived from the governing system, in a divisive way.

Please dont call yourselves "progressives" if your voting for the old racist white guy that has been in power for nearly 50 years. Dont complain about systemic racism and white privilege and then go vote for the old racist white guy that has been in power for nearly 50 years. Dont expect anyone to take anything you say seriously when you do such things.Harry Hindu

Huh, that's an odd portrayal of me that doesn't even come close to reality, so I'll just ignore the rest of your post.
  • NOS4A2

They aren’t pro-Biden; they are anti-Trump. Anti-Trumpism forces them to toss their principles to the wind. Out of one side of their mouth they will lament systemic racism, and out of the other they would gladly vote for a duo whose political careers led to the mass incarceration of dark-skinned people. Out of one side of the mouth they teach us the failures of neo-liberalism, and out of the other they vote for its champion. They would sink the entire ship if it meant Trump’s exit.
  • Baden

Lol. Neither Street nor I will be voting for anyone. But clearly a Dem win would be the lesser of two evils for the left. Otherwise, you wouldn't be foaming at the mouth over it.
  • praxis

It's very hard to imagine a worse candidate but if it were possible I suppose that I would vote for Trump, being the lesser of two evils. :vomit:
  • Mr Bee
    Just wait until 2024 when the GOP somehow nominates a candidate who's even worse than Trump. I mean we all thought that Bush was the worst they can offer, but as we've learned over the years there's no such thing as rock bottom for them.
  • Echarmion
    Just wait until 2024 when the GOP somehow nominates a candidate who's even worse than Trump. I mean we all thought that Bush was the worst they can offer, but as we've learned over the years there's no such thing as rock bottom for them.Mr Bee

If Trump looses 2020, he'll just run again in 2024, if he isn't dead or in jail.

In fact I fully expect him to pretend he is still the "real" president for the next 4 years regardless of the results.
  • BC
    we all thought that Bush was the worstMr Bee

The Republicans have been electing a downward spiraling list of candidates since... Eisenhower in 1952.

1960 -- Nixon (slimy)
    1968 -- Nixon -- not the worst president, even though he was a crook, slimier
    1972 -- Nixon -- resigned in disgrace, slimiest
    1980 -- Reagan (deplorable)
    1984 -- Reagan (senile and more deplorable)
    1992 -- H. W. Bush -- poor, but at least he had the insight to call out Reagan's "voodoo economics"
    2000 -- G. W. Bush (abysmal)
    2004 -- G. W. Bush (abysmal)
    2016 -- Dildo Trump (sub-abysmal)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.