• NOS4A2

It was confirmed by one of the people in the emails, none of whom are Russian.
  • Benkei
    Since we're posting conspiracy stories now. Murdoch owner of NY Post, was in Epstein's black book and seen with Ghislain Maxwell. Trump has been accused of raping minors with Epstein. Murdoch had been friends with Trump for years too. Epstein is a dead suspect for rape of minors. They all have dirt on each other so Murdoch is doing Trump a favour to keep him quiet when the hammer falls. By simultaneously predicting a Biden win, Murdoch is obfuscating these relationships.

So Qanon isn't far from the truth except that it's Trump and his buddies who are the paedophiles.
  • 180 Proof
    So QAnon isn't far from the truth except that it's Trump and his [ Epstein-Maxwell ] buddies who are the paedophiles.Benkei
    Nailed it! Absolutely :100:
  • Baden
    So Qanon isn't far from the truth except that it's Trump and his buddies who are the paedophiles.Benkei

B.. b.. b.. ut hUntEr! chYnA!
  • Pfhorrest
    So Qanon isn't far from the truth except that it's Trump and his buddies who are the paedophiles.Benkei

Basically everything the alt-right accuses the left of is usually a projection of something they themselves are guilty of, so even without the details you give to support this claim, it's prima facie probable.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    But the next time I watched he seemed to get serious (at least as serious as he can get) when he said that he may need to leave the country if he loses.Erik

Of course he's serious. Otherwise he'll spend the rest of his life fighting to stay out of jail, if not spending a significant part of that time in jail. Being the coward that he is, when the chips are down, he'll run. We know that he'll never take responsibility for his crimes.
  • NOS4A2

Basically everything the alt-right accuses the left of is usually a projection of something they themselves are guilty of, so even without the details you give to support this claim, it's prima facie probable.

There were those high-profile Virginia Giuffre accusations she made against many, including 2 Dem politicians, governor Bill Richardson and former Democratic Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell. In the same deposition, she says she never saw Trump and Epstein together, let alone at any of his homes, and she claims previous reporting on Trump’s involvement was fake news.

So I wonder if the projection statement is a little ironic.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Yes, he's a blowhard and must be the most intellectually lazy President the U.S. has ever had [...] He's essentially someone's dumb uncle that accidentally became President.Baden

Actually Bush was worse. It's simply the case that most Americans have shit for memories, and half the whiners who are obsessed with bitching about Donald T. are too young to know the extent of tyranny the globe suffered under Bush (and is still suffering today).
  • Pfhorrest
    I remember Bush, and that he was an idiot, but even though I hated his policies he seemed like a kind of charming innocent doofus, aesthetically speaking. Trump, even ignoring his actual policies, just comes off as a mean asshole internet troll.
  • Hippyhead
    I'm voting for Trump because of this amazing accomplishment. He's made us long for traditional politicians! Incredible! Who knew that was possible???

Are there any Bushes left? Clintons we forgot about? Carter's only 95, maybe he'll run! Ok, I know Reagan is dead, but isn't that better than when he was senile? Is Nixon still available, does anyone know?
  • Relativist
    Is Nixon still available, does anyone know?Hippyhead
    Have you never watched Futurama?
  • frank
    So after the election, everybody is going to sue everybody, the SCOTUS will have to weigh in, we'll have a president some time in February.
  • praxis
    I'm voting for Trump because of this amazing accomplishment. He's made us long for traditional politicians!Hippyhead

He couldn't be more traditional, merely a different brand.
  • Relativist
    So after the election, everybody is going to sue everybody, the SCOTUS will have to weigh in, we'll have a president some time in February.frank
    That's not possible. "The 20th amendment states: "The terms of the President and the Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January" Backing up from there, there is law that states the electoral college votes must be certified on Jan 6.

Worst case, a Supreme Court ruling would be needed to meet the deadline. The actual deadlines are not subject to debate.
  • Relativist
    IMO, the most important moment in Trump's "town hall" roast last week was his defence of tweeting falsehoods because the mainstream media is "corrupt". Sure. that makes perfect sense. Guthrie compared this tweeting behavior to a "crazy uncle", and true to form - he responded like a crazy uncle (transcript below).

It's important, not because it exposes what thinking people already know about him, but because it's the sort of behavior that may get him reelected. I dare say that some of his supporters believe the false tweet, and are delighted (and energized) to see him repeat it. Those that don't necessarily believe it, don't care that's it's false - they only care that he thinks like they do: mainstream media is against "us".

Transcript:
    Guthrie: "Just this week, you retweeted to your 87 million followers, a conspiracy theory that Joe Biden orchestrated to have SEAL Team Six, the Navy SEAL Team Six, killed to cover up the fake death of Bin Laden. Now, why would you send a lie like that to your followers?"

Trump: "I know nothing about it, can I..."

Guthrie: "You retweeted it"

Trump: "That was a retweet. That was an opinion of somebody.(Guthrie interrups)..and that was a retweet. I’ll put it out there. People can decide for themselves. I don’t take a position.
    ===================
    Pause right there. Trump doesn't take a position on whether or not bin Laden is actually dead. Perhaps someone will ask him about this in the next debate. What can he answer? If he says, "of COURSE I know bind Laden is dead" then he will be admitting to retweeting something he knows to be false. If he says, "I don't know if he's dead", then he's derelict - as President, he clearly has the resources to get to the bottom of it. And it's a pretty big deal.
    ===================
    Guthrie: "I don’t get that, you’re the President. You’re not like, someone’s crazy uncle who can just (Trump interrupts)...… retweet, whatever.

Trump: "That was a retweet. And I do a lot of retweets. And frankly, because the media is so fake, and so corrupt, if I didn’t have social media… I don’t call it Twitter, I call it social media. I wouldn’t be able to get the word out. And the word is...

Guthrie: "Well, the word is false."

Trump: "… and you know what the word is? The word is very simple. We’re building our country, stronger and better than it’s ever been before."
  • Benkei
    Trump: "… and you know what the word is? The word is very simple. We’re building our country, stronger and better than it’s ever been before."Relativist

Rebuilding, one death at a time.
  • Hippyhead
    He couldn't be more traditional, merely a different brandpraxis

Thank you for your highly predictable reactionary gotcha remark.

I say potato, you say potawto.

I say potawto, you say potato.

I say tomato, you say tomawto.

I say tomawto, you say tomato.
  • praxis

He’s a right-wing populist, as traditional in the US as white bread or apple pie. Think stupid Nixon.
  • Hippyhead
    Isn't it interesting how popular it is to call Trump stupid. And yet he is President, and we are not. And he is rich, and we are not. And he totally dominates all forms of media almost minute by minute, and nobody gives the slightest shit what we have to say.

And he beat every Republican, and every Democrat, all the professional politicians, all the talking heads, all the expert insiders. All of them.

A world class asshole, yes, totally agree there. But not stupid.

And Trump is not a populist either. He's a quite intelligent asshole who has persuaded you that he's a populist. Trump has no political beliefs beyond the pursuit of his own self interest, which is primarily his childlike need for ceaseless attention. Please recall, Trump donated to various Clinton campaigns and causes. He would have happily run as a leftist if that was where the opportunity lie.

Trump's gift is that he can see through many of the lies we tell ourselves. Perhaps this is a talent which comes naturally to compulsive liars?

As example, the media is constantly patting itself on the back for being a heroic public service etc. Trump sees through the fantasy and knows the media is just another profit seeking business. He feeds them the drama their business model depends on, and in return they give him billions upon billions of dollars of free advertising, while they pretend to be appalled by the drama he has handed them.

The religious right is constantly patting itself on the back about it's moral superiority. Trump sees through that fantasy too, and proves it by getting them to enthusiastically vote for the most immoral president we've had in my lifetime.

The Democrats constantly pat themselves on the back about their intellectual superiority (like you're doing) and Trump sees through that, and proves it by winning a campaign they all confidently predicted he had no chance of winning.

Trump is the kind of guy who went down to the crossroads and sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for some extraordinary political talents.
  • Benkei
    Lmao. The only reason Trump could win is because the US has a retarded two party system. He'd never survive in a multiparty system which puts the lie to his political savvy. He's also barely accomplished anything, which again, shows no political skill. A good politician would've embraced the covid crisis by turning it in something that would politically benefit him. He totally failed in that. Same with BLM.
  • praxis

You appear to be buying the myth that he’s a 4-D chess player or whatever. Grated he’s an accomplished con-man, but the self-beneficial accomplishments he has are owed to inherited wealth and the freedom of not being burdened with any principles.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    The only reason Trump could win is because the US has a retarded two party systemBenkei

You forgot the second part: an even more retarded electorate that is willing to cast votes for scum like Trump and Biden
  • frank
    So we wont know till Jan 6?
  • Relativist

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that's the latest possible date we'd know. It's a deadline SCOTUS would need to work backwards from, if a lawsuit comes to them.
  • Relativist
    Scum like Biden?!

I can get people disagreeing with him about policies (what he will and won't do), their being disappointed that he's the candidate instead of someone they prefer (Bernie?), or being apprehensive about his age...but "scum"? He seems like a decent, if imperfect, man. I can't see how anyone could put him into the same category as Trump.
  • 180 Proof
    c30-40% of (mostly low-information, woefully undereducated, working / lower middle class) Americans refuse to accept the overwhelming historical FACT that, no matter how bad many Whites have had and still do have it in this country, things have always been and still are STRUCTURALLY (re: class exploitation) and SYSTEMICALLY (re: race discrimination-policing) worse for most Nonwhites (citizens & migrants) in America than for Whites. They'd rather "drink bleach" than make common cause with precariats like themselves of other colors/ethnicities or with dispossessed refugees.

He’s a right-wing [white grievence] populist, as traditional in the US as white bread or apple pie. Think stupid Nixon.praxis
    DJT is a stupid person's idea of smart person (i.e. losers' idea of a "winner" :point: white grievence populism = "MAGA").
  • _db
    https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-will-run-again-2024-if-he-loses-joe-biden-says-steve-bannon-1540118

Another tacit admission of failure, loss and defeat by the far-right, matched with a threat of vengeance the next time around: Trump will be back...

If justice is served, then no, no he won't.
  • Mr Bee
    Isn't it interesting how popular it is to call Trump stupid. And yet he is President, and we are not. And he is rich, and we are not. And he totally dominates all forms of media almost minute by minute, and nobody gives the slightest shit what we have to say.

And he beat every Republican, and every Democrat, all the professional politicians, all the talking heads, all the expert insiders. All of them.

A world class asshole, yes, totally agree there. But not stupid.
    Hippyhead

No, Trump really is stupid and everything that he's said and done in these past 4 years demonstrates that quite well. In spite of what he keeps saying about how unfair the system is towards him, the fact is he got into the White House through sheer luck because of that very system. From the billions he received in free media from the "fake news" outlets, to the "deep state" FBI saving his campaign with their October surprise email investigation, to the fact that he ran against quite literally the most unpopular establishment candidate in modern history, the fact that a conman like him could get through and become president speaks more to how broken the US is as a country more than anything else.
  • Mr Bee
    He seems like a decent, if imperfect, man. I can't see how anyone could put him into the same category as Trump.Relativist

He's not in the same category as Trump. More in the same category of being an establishment politician like Hillary Clinton, except without the toxic image, which is why he'll likely do far better than she ever did.
  • Benkei
    Also, let's not forget Lord Darroch's assessment who, despite being ambassador of the US' closest sky, was rather clear on the subject : incompetent.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.