• bcccampello
    First, you want to win the sympathy. To win sympathy, you need to show interest in people. Only if you are interested in them just to gain sympathy, you are not really interested: your focus is not on them, but on you, then that will fail. So the practice is about teaching yourself to have a genuine interest in people. In other words, I don’t need to think about sympathy. Because? Because it is implied, I will have sympathy anyway. If I’m really interested in listening to the person, he’ll sympathize with me even if I’m not thinking about it; so why am I going to try to win sympathy, if sympathy is already built in? So the focus shifts from winning sympathy to genuine interest, and so on many other things. I mean, there will be a change in the axis of conduct, and then you will see that the sympathy you want to win is not worth the effort, because it is very easy.

For example, I have a theory: there is no unrequited love. Let’s say, your love is unrequited when you’re dying of pity for yourself because that person didn’t pay attention to you. So you’re mortally in love with yourself, you’re taking care of yourself, so of course the woman won’t even call you. But if you have true love for her, want her well, want her happiness and forget about you, she will love you anyway. It is irresistible. So the problem is not how I will win the lady’s love, the problem is: how I will truly love her! When you have it, it is irresistible. Most people do not know true love, total and definitive love. If they knew it, they would know that it, unlike partial and temporary loves, is ALWAYS reciprocated. Infallibly.

Love is about attraction, passion, lust come together with true kindness and generosity, and in such a way that one thing is indiscernible from the other: only then do you have love. If there is dualism, it’s over, it doesn’t work.

So, for example, you are in love with so-and-so. Are you sure that marrying you is the best thing she can do in her life? You can say: “There is no one better for you than me!” Are you sure about this? If you’re not sure, how can you want this for the woman, and still say it’s out of love? You want to screw with her life. Now, if you think and say: “No, in fact, she will not have a better one than me, I am the best because I am more sincere, I really like her, I am this, I am that and I am even beautiful and yummy, etc. So I want this for her because I want her to be happy.” Then you will not arrive with shyness and such because you know that what you are offering is good. And if she doesn’t want to, then she’s a jerk.

Through culture, you forget about yourself and start to have bigger concerns that encompass you and that solve the first ones: this is how you move to another level of understanding. So you leave the subjectivism of adolescence because you know that you have true love for one person or for several people, not only in the sexual domain, of course. And notice well: if you have true love and that love is rejected, you don’t feel depressed, you don’t feel diminished, you feel sorry for the person, you say: “What a bitch! This woman doesn’t want to, she wants to get screwed. Damn it, I’m not here to waste time with an idiot”. I mean, as your concern goes up, you lose that fear, that fear of not being accepted, of not being liked. Because being liked is the easiest thing in the world! Why waste so much time on this bullshit? You don’t have to! Have a genuine interest, have a true love for people, and they will like you; and if they don’t like it, then you’ll be sure they’re stupid.

In short, you gradually extract yourself from the judgment of others as you gain certainty of your intentions. It is not that you will despise the opinion of others — we should never despise the opinion of others — you simply do not need it because you already know what you are doing.

Love is not a feeling: it is a decision, an act of will and a deep existential commitment. Feelings vary, but love remains. Those who did not understand this did not come even close to maturity. It is an inner oath to defend your loved one to death, even when he sins seriously against you. Love is really, as Jesus said, to die for the loved one. When we expect love to make our lives more pleasant, instead of sacrificing our lives for it, we are without love and life. Love is the most fearful of challenges, but when you know it, you never want anything else. Feeling is just an initial fleeting stimulus. The leap into true love is a free act.
  • Gregory
    Would someone suffer infinite temporal pain for eternal infinite bliss? If one person out of two had to go to hell forever, would you choose him or yourself?
  • 180 Proof
    Natality (kinship) providing the seeds of love, friendship (co-solitudes) is the highest form of love, as I understand it, and solidarity (just community, deep ecology) is the highest form of friendship.

Love is Joy, accompanied by the idea of ​​an external cause ... [and] ... All happiness or unhappiness solely depends upon the quality of the object to which we are attached by love. — Benny Spinoza
    "Amor fati" :fire:

:death: :flower:
  • Outlander
    That. Or just don't be a needy, arrogant, money grubbing arse. And, when you can, do what's right even when it's not "cool" or beneficial to you. Not hard, really.

Of course, as you mean in the contexts of a romantic pursuit. The person, mentally, is either a child or an adult. Age somewhat hints at one or the other but definitely defines nothing. That's what people forget. You either teach someone who's willing, which you can help a juvenile mind steer toward, or you speak to them in their language so long as you don't get surprised when a child acts like a child. Beyond that, common interests and a palatable persona usually prevail.
  • Gregory
    Faith is the easiest vice to defeat because you can just do it with a thought
  • 180 Proof
    What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love. — Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Exhibit zero: "Il Duce" Cheeto Trumpolini.
  • Gregory
    Empathy is love, sympathy is love, pity is love, but they can be distorted. Christian "love" feels supernatural because it's an unnatural use of the brain. Christianity by and large is a mental illness
  • Gregory
    If God the Father appeared to you and said"I am sending either you or your wife to the eternal furnace, the other will go with me to heaven", it would be impossible to choose in that situation. It shows how illogical Christian love is and how right Buddha love is. Christian love will eventually break your brain
  • 180 Proof
    Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public. — Cornel West
  • bcccampello
    Turning to the other, looking with charity, serving others and working hard are things that we demand of others, but that we ourselves do not do.

“No one has greater love than the one who gives his life for his friends.” — Job 15,13
  • Gregory

Gives one's life yes, but what about gives one soul? If you were asked to go to eternal Hell for your spouse, you would be insane to say yes and insane to say no. This shows that the whole dimension of Christian love is insane and unnatural. They even call it supernatural, which translates to unnatural in reality
  • bcccampello
    From one hundred to one hundred and fifty thousand Christians continue to be murdered each year in Islamic and Communist countries, and an equal number suffers all sorts of humiliations, boycotts and constraints in Western democracies. There, the anti-Christian rhetoric of the media, universities and international organizations becomes increasingly ostentatious and uninhibited, showing a clear intention to move, soon, from moral and cultural genocide to mass murder. I see the same pattern with some extension in some members of this forum.

Being a Christian has become so dangerous that I no longer conceive of another greeting to send to my friends than the good old warning that we are not born for this world, but for eternal life. It was not only to bring, but to fulfill this warning that Our Lord came into the world and died for us. His Birth would make no sense without His Death, and His Death without the Resurrection. The Resurrection, too, would have made no sense if it had left no other sign on Earth than the memory in the mind of a few witnesses, two millennia ago. But the marks of Jesus' presence in the world are so many and so constant that the only way to ignore them is to look away and cover your ears. I always see some involuntary humor when they talk about “faith in miracles”. A miracle, by definition, takes place in the physical world and is perceived with the five senses, without any appeal to the supernatural aid of faith. After all, did the paralytic walk or did he just believe he did? Did the blind man see, or did he just think, with great faith, that he saw? Did Lazarus rise or did he just, at the bottom of the grave, mistakenly believe he was alive?

It also seems to me that if, instead of making the Sun dance in front of everyone's eyes, Our Lady had, in a snap of her fingers, instantly made only eighty thousand people believe it without seeing anything, it would have been an even more extraordinary miracle. There is only one way to deny miracles: it is to refuse to look at facts, it is to exchange them for thoughts. It is exchanging, as the poet Bruno Tolentino would say, the “world as an abduction” for “the world as an idea”. Unfortunately, ninety percent of philosophers do nothing else.

As for your question: often for the individual, suffering can be the beginning of wisdom. For the community, it is the engine of violence, which pulls the car of history towards the fiery furnace on whose edge a sign announces: 'Justice and Peace', (i.e. the same old promise of the religion of Caesar archetype). If you accept suffering with total resignation and sweetness, not as a punishment or as a cosmic injustice, but simply as a normal chapter of that part of our destiny that only God understands, you end up discovering that this suffering, even though it remains incomprehensible, it increases your realism and strengthens your maturity. Often it is the pretension to understand everything that leads us to understand nothing.
  • Gregory
    Christians are persecuted because it is a religion for trolls
  • Gregory
    As for Fatima, prove to me aliens didnt cause it
  • Saphsin
    I have to say, these comments of yours are just summaries of your beliefs like a preacher on a podium instead of trying to understand why the people here disagree with you. This is a philosophy forum, why are you here?
  • unenlightened
    My song is love unknown,
    My Savior's love to me;
    Love to the loveless shown,
    That they might lovely be.
    O who am I,
    That for my sake
    My Lord should take
    Frail flesh, and die?
    — Samuel Crossman

Alas for those who are satisfied with the known.
  • TheMadFool
    Reminds me of god. Everyone, including the devout, the faithful, the ones with unshakable faith, knows that any way you cut it, the problem of evil will not go away and there's hellfire too to add to our list of worries. Yet, despite the aforementioned, let's just say, "inconvenient" truth and threat, the religious take great "pains" to proclaim their love for god in extravagant, ostentatious displays. What could make people love someone like god, a being that's defined to be more than capable of intervening in the lives of the suffering but doesn't and still gets to keep the title of being all-good? It seems then that a good technique to make people love you is to make hollow promises to do something about their fears and hopes.
  • ThePhilosopher1
    The greatest difficulty in loving God is that we mistake Him for any power superior to our strengths - be it social, natural, cosmic or preternatural - whose overwhelming weight falls on us.
  • TheMadFool
    The greatest difficulty in loving God is that we mistake Him for any power superior to our strengths - be it social, natural, cosmic or preternatural - whose overwhelming weight falls on us.ThePhilosopher1

The above statement is damning evidence of what I just said. No matter what god does or doesn't do, people will always find an excuse to love faer. It's as if we're under a witch's love spell.
  • Hippyhead
    Christians are persecuted because it is a religion for trollsGregory

We get that you are against Christianity. I have no problem with that at all.

But please stop clogging every other thread with lazy, boring, juvenile little one liners on the subject.

This is a philosophy forum, not your Facebook page. If you wish to be a critic of Christianity or anything else, please try to do so in an intelligent, thoughtful, reasonably well informed manner.
  • Hippyhead
    I have written detailed threads refuting Christianity.Gregory

Stick with that and you'll stay out of trouble. Detailed is good, refuting Christianity or anything else is fine.

As for juvenile, look at all the Christians who like the homo-erotic Mel Gibson movie. Jim Caviezel's performance was one of the gayest things I've ever seen and I have no doubt most Christian men want to have sex with Jesus. THAT is juvenileGregory

If you insist on repeatedly posting thread clogging crap like the above I predict your days here are numbered. I'm not a mod, but I have seen them ban people without warning for less. You've been warned.

To avoid any further bother, just raise your game so that your posts look like they belong on a philosophy forum.
  • Gregory

Your warning has no power
  • Gregory
    In defense of what I said, I have the right to talk about psychology on this forum. And the right to speak of the spiritual as psychological. Political correctness does not.perfectly apply here. In defense of myself, I'm a spine snapper. No Christian in the sense of Christian has any power of me. I have power over them
  • Hippyhead
    Your warning has no powerGregory

Correct. So just keep on doing what you're doing, and the mods can take care of it from there.
  • smartguy
    @Baden Are you serious you banned the guy who created the OP, but not this jerk? Pathetic.
  • Gregory
    All I've done is apply Freudian.and Jungian thinking to the obviously strange psychology of most Christians. They are stuck in the archetype of the common man (are all basically Sam from the Lord of the Rings, a whole legion of them!). Since Nietzsche is valid conversation topic, so is what I've said. My clear reasoning was called juvenile and so I pointed out most Christians are juvenile. And they never turn then other cheek i notice btw
  • SophistiCat
    @Baden I concur with the crackpot.
  • Baden

I wasn't involved in this. There is a whole mod team, you know. Start a feedback thread if you have a complaint. Don't do it here.

Don't harass other posters.
  • 180 Proof
    "Some people
    never say those words
    I love you
    But like a child
    they're longing to be told"

~Something So Right (1973)
  • Jack Cummins

You're quite a fan of Paul Simon. I do like him, especially Graceland album.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.