• Hanover
    Yes, although I reckon they got that message a long time ago. Probably the only thing Trump is honest about is his support for white supremacists and neo Nazis. And Republicans love it. Strange world.Baden

He wouldn't condemn Proud Boys, a far right organization, but, to be fair, it has liberalized since its founding. Its original rules banned masturbation among its members, but it now permits it once monthly. One area where they might wish to consider reforms is in their admissions process. They currently beat their applicants while making them recite the names of breakfast cereals, and I wonder if there is a better screening method for determining quality members. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proud_Boys

Seriously, though, I am deeply troubled by Trump's refusal to condemn the fringe racist groups, and it makes any defense of Trump not being racist difficult to make. Pragmatically, it also makes no sense to protect those groups because they offer him very few votes (Proud Boys has only 160 members), and it's not like a condemnation will cause them to vote for Biden. At any rate, I don't think "Republicans love it," at least not me, and I'm very much hoping he will attempt a correction at some point by openly condemning racism and racist groups. If not, it could cost him many Republican votes.
  • Michael
    Its original rules banned masturbation among its members, but it now permits it once monthly. One area where they might wish to consider reforms is in their admissions process. They currently beat their applicants while making them recite the names of breakfast cerealsHanover

Is this a reference to something, or are you just being you?
  • Hanover
    Is this a reference to something, or are you just being you?Michael

It's from the Wiki article I cited above:

"According to David Neiwert, they recruit with emphasis on right-wing 15–30 year old white males who come primarily from suburbs and exurbs.[54] The Proud Boys say they have an initiation process that has four stages and includes hazing. The first stage is a loyalty oath, on the order of "I’m a proud Western chauvinist, I refuse to apologize for creating the modern world"; the second is getting punched until the person recites pop culture trivia, such as the names of five breakfast cereals; the third is getting a tattoo and agreeing to not masturbate; and the fourth is getting into a major fight "for the cause."[20][31][55][56][57][58]

The Daily Beast reported in February 2018 that the Proud Boys have amended rules. Prohibition against cargo shorts, use of opioids and crystal meth. The article states restrictions were not placed on cocaine. The masturbation policy was modified to read: "no heterosexual brother of the Fraternity shall masturbate more than one time in any calendar month".[59]

Women aren't allowed to be Proud Boys[42] and the unnamed president of Proud Boys Los Angeles told the Los Angeles Times the group only admits "biological men".[60] In July 2018, the group had 160 members and up to 300 pending applicants, according to the unidentified president.[60]"
  • Michael
    The masturbation policy was modified to read: "no heterosexual brother of the Fraternity shall masturbate more than one time in any calendar month".

So gay and bisexual men are exempt? That's discrimination.
  • Hanover
    So gay and bisexual men are exempt? That's discrimination.Michael

Perhaps it allows the gay men to masturbate because there might be another provision (and I've not had a chance to read through all the rules) that proscribes man on man sex, which would then leave non-straight men an inability to ejaculate, which would be understandably frustrating, thus the unlimited monthly ejaculatory allowance. Makes sense.
  • Michael
    You'll have to join the Proud Boys for research and report back.
  • Hanover
    You'll have to join the Proud Boys for research and report back.Michael

I've been studying. So there's Cocoa Puffs, Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles, and Count Chocula. I just hope I remember them while they're kicking me in the nuts.
  • Number2018
    It looks like Biden tacitly admitted that, if he is elected president, he will preside over the end of the filibuster. Consequently, it would allow Democrats to pack SCOTUS and add two new Democrat-majority states.
  • Michael
    add two new Democrat-majority states.Number2018

Is adding new states as simple as an act of Congress?
  • Baden

I don't think the answer would have been much different if the example had been the KKK. He's fascist (rather than conservative) at heart and any walk back would be engineered by his advisors and disengenuous. I think we both know that. Anyhow, I hope you're right that Republicans have there limits. I'm just not seeing much evidence of it.
  • Hanover
    Is adding new states as simple as an act of Congress?Michael

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/interpretation/article-iv/clauses/46

We might admit the UK. Other than changing flags, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Remember that it's "color" and not "colour" and stuff like that and we should be good.
  • Benkei
    Puerto Rico then?

How's it looking for you at this point? Are you going to vote Trump while gagging or Biden while gagging?
  • Streetlight
    One other interesting thing to me was that Trump was clearly not enjoying himself. He was pinprick sensitive, touchy, and ill-humoured. Even the way he waddled on stage like a unwilling duck was quite distinct. A very different Trump from four years ago, where he basically held court.

Biden on the other hand, totally missed the opportunity to have fun with Trump's dourness. A sharper, more instinctual leader would would used Trump's boorishness against him. Biden just tried to play indignant exasperated uncle instead.
  • Ciceronianus
    Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin.
  • Michael
    ↪Hanover Puerto Rico then?

How's it looking for you at this point? Are you going to vote Trump while gagging or Biden while gagging?
    Benkei

Shame Kanye missed the deadline to get added to Georgia's ballot. I reckon he would have been Hanover's first choice.
  • 0 thru 9
    From a recording, I’ve only watched the first 45 minutes or so, pausing and rewinding (do you “rewind” a DVR? Lol.)

First off FWIW, I want Biden to win the debates and the election (since Sanders got shafted. But that’s another scary story). It’s kind of “his game to lose” IMHO, so to speak.

But from the first segment (usually the most important in setting the pace), Trump is clearly gaining an advantage. He never smiles or laughs, not that I saw. This is actually an advantage. Trump then comes across as more “serious”. Biden keeps giving that goofy grin which seems clueless and self-satisfied. Stop smiling and grinning, Joe! It comes across as even more smug than Hillary, who at least didn’t giggle and titter like a drunken senator. (Grin after winning if you must).

And keep your head held up, Joe. Lowering the head while listening looks weak. Turn towards Trump more often, as unpleasant as that may be. Quit staring at the camera when not talking. Looks like a deer in the headlights. And talking into the camera while speaking (at least the way he did it) and waving his hands seems like some kind of bible preacher. “You have to believ-vah! And you will be HEALED!” Lol.

Did Joe actually say “I AM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY” and “I BEAT THE HELL OUTTA BERNIE”?? Way to go, big guy. :roll: You are going to break your arm if you keep patting yourself on the back.

Keep it up Joe, if you want to pull a Hillary and grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. In this boxing match, Trump was dancing circles around you (who seemed anchored in concrete) and throwing a dozen jabs at a time. Of course, it contained lies and exaggerations. Duh. For better or mostly worse, that is the Trump modus operandi. But to me, Trump seemed like the hungry and angry contender, challenger, and underdog. Biden looked like the “champion” gone soft with success.

But change your approach JB, and change it quickly. This is more Fight Club than your daddy’s debate club. (If you want more of my advice, you have my number, lol).

Edit: No one would have had to tell Bernie Sanders absolutely any of this if he were the candidate. Sanders can effortlessly appear smart, tough, AND respectful simultaneously. Trump would’ve been cornered, instead of drooling and licking his greedy chops over an easier foe. But whatever... Biden is the DNC’s boy.
  • Hanover
    How's it looking for you at this point? Are you going to vote Trump while gagging or Biden while gagging?Benkei

I could go on record as now announcing I'm voting for Biden. It'd be a breaking news story that could cause a little excitement around here, but maybe I'll tease this one out for a while, leaving the masses wondering what Hanover might do. It's good for the ratings.

The truth is that I've never been a big Trump fan, mostly because of the buffoonery problem he suffers from. I was relieved that the dementia narrative about Biden was untrue. He did seem engaged and did well in the sandlot fray, but I'm not completely sure that's what we need in a President either.

Then there's the Kanye option that was pointed out. If I have my facts straight on him, he's kind of bipolarish and he sings songs I've never heard, but he gets props for fucking a Kardashian. Maybe I'll vote for him. What's his position on the KKK?
  • Pfhorrest
    Then there's the Kanye option that was pointed out. If I have my facts straight on him, he's kind of bipolarish and he sings songs I've never heard, but he gets props for fucking a Kardashian. Maybe I'll vote for him. What's his position on the KKK?Hanover

Kanye/Kim Kardashian 2020?
  • NOS4A2
    An amazing letter containing declassified information was released yesterday regarding intel into the Trump/Russia saga.

• In late July 2016, U.S. intelligence agencies obtained insight into Russian intelligence analysis alleging that U.S. Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton had approved a campaign plan to stir up a scandal against U.S . Presidential candidate Donald Trump by tying him to Putin and the Russians' hacking of the Democratic National Committee. The IC does not know the accuracy of this allegation or the extent to which the Russian intelligence analysis may reflect exaggeration or fabrication.

• According to his handwritten notes, former Central Intelligence Agency Director Brennan subsequently briefed President Obama and other senior national security officials on the intelligence, including the "alleged approval by Hillary Clinton on July 26, 2016 of a proposal from one of her foreign policy advisors to vilify Donald Trump by stirring up a scandal claiming interference by Russian security services."

• On 07 September 2016, U.S. intelligence officials forwarded an investigative referral to FBI Director James Corney and Deputy Assistant Director o f Counterintelligence Peter Strzok regarding "U.S. Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's approval of a plan concerning U.S. Presidential candidate Donald Trump and Russian hackers hampering U.S . elections as a means o f distracting the public from her use o f a private mail server."

Document

A lot of huffing about Trump on social media today, especially regarding his so-called refusal to condemn white supremacists. Though Trump has already condemned white supremacists, Wallace and Biden pushed the canard that Trump must continue to do so for some reason, even if a high profile white supremacist such as Richard Spencer threw his vote behind Biden. Wallace’s loaded questions and distortions favored Biden.
  • creativesoul
    Condemning white supremacists once while doing everything else Trump does is like condemning homosexuality with Putin's dick in his mouth.
  • creativesoul

Alleged, alleged, alleged...

Amazing?

Bullshit.

Distraction.
  • Michael
    Alleged, alleged, alleged...

Amazing?

Bullshit.

Distraction.
    creativesoul

In fact:

Intel chief releases Russian disinfo on Hillary Clinton that was rejected by bipartisan Senate panel

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe on Tuesday declassified a Russian intelligence assessment that was previously rejected by Democrats and Republicans on the Senate Intelligence Committee as having no factual basis, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

But in his letter to Graham, Ratcliffe noted that the U.S. intelligence community “does not know the accuracy of this allegation or the extent to which the Russian intelligence analysis may reflect exaggeration or fabrication.”

... The panel was made aware of that allegation early on in its investigation, and quickly dismissed it, the sources said.

Graham responded to his critics later Tuesday, saying that the veracity of the Russian intelligence assessment was irrelevant. [What?]
  • Streetlight
    Ah, desperation from our resident propagandist. How sweet.
  • Pfhorrest
    So (the FBI says that) Russia says that the allegations of Russian meddling in the election were all a ploy by Hillary?

I guess that settles it then!
  • Streetlight
    Also, to be fair, Trump played his only card. He can't actually debate, and Biden has no hair for him to stand behind and sniff, so snivelling angry little shit is about as high strategy as he could have gone.
  • SophistiCat
    Trump's taxes and business ventures: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/podcasts/the-daily/donald-trump-taxes-investigation.html

We’ve now looked at almost 30 or 40 years of Donald Trump’s tax returns and his financial records, analyzed his inheritance. This wellspring that came from “The Apprentice” — that’s an amount of income unlike anything he experienced in any other aspect of his life.

It sounds like a big thing you’re learning is that when it comes to the kinds of deals in which somebody else borrows the Trump name and uses it, Donald Trump is swimming in money, but when it comes to a business that he buys and tries to operate, like a big golf course, those become big financial black holes.

The less decision-making authority Donald Trump has on a business, the more money that business is going to make. And the more he’s involved in designing a business, setting it up and creating a business plan, the more likely it is to have trouble.
    — NYT
  • Michael

Also, Trump Would Be Richer If He'd Have Invested in Index Funds

Instead of being worth $13 billion, he's $1.1 billion in debt.
  • NOS4A2

It doesn’t settle it because “the IC does not know the accuracy of this allegation or the extent to which the Russian intelligence analysis may reflect exaggeration or fabrication.”

But given that the Steele dossier was largely sourced from suspected Russian spies, and payed for by the Clinton campaign, it appears that any “Russian collusion” to dig up dirt on an opponent was a Democrat affair.
  • creativesoul
    So, Trump does everything in his power to impede, influence, and/or obstruct any and all oversight and/or investigations into his behaviour. Part of that was talking Sessions into stepping down as AG, and replacing him with Barr. Barr's very first public act was to knowingly misrepresent the findings of the Mueller report to the American public two weeks prior to it's public release.

Since then, numerous different officials heading up numerous separate investigations, many of which came out of the Mueller report, have been replaced by Barr/Trump. At Trump's request(undoubtedly) there have been a number of investigations into the Mueller investigation itself, as well as many of the officials involved. In addition, an investigation into Trump's political opponent(Biden) has been going on despite the fact that the Biden concerns were already investigated and dismissed. Trump has publicly discussed the idea that the findings would come out prior to the election, and Barr has used his influence to speed the investigations along, resulting in some officials resigning instead.

There has been no wrongdoing found by any of these investigations. None. What is a "witch-hunt" once again???

So now...

Trump leans on the fact that there are investigations(witch-hunts) into the Mueller report and/or his own political rivals - without ever mentioning the fact that he is behind them all - as adequate ground for concluding what... exactly???

:brow:
  • Michael
    Timely ruling:

Judge orders DOJ to publish info redacted as privileged from Mueller report

A federal judge on Wednesday ordered the Department of Justice (DOJ) to publish information redacted from the Mueller report that had been designated as privileged.

District Judge Reggie Walton said the Trump administration had failed to justify certain redactions from the report on the special counsel's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

The specific redactions he took issue with cover the decisionmaking process within former special counsel Robert Mueller's team over whether to charge certain people with crimes during the probe.

"Based on the Court’s review of the unredacted version of the Mueller Report, the Court concludes that the Department has failed to satisfy its burden to demonstrate that the withheld material is protected by the deliberative process privilege," Walton, who was appointed by former President George W. Bush, wrote in his 40-page opinion.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.