• Lif3r
    The fact that you exist at all is incredible. The fact that you actually experience this existence is a miracle.

We look in all directions with the best telescopes, waves, and signals we have for more life forms besides biology that are capable of experiencing reality and reporting it to itself and others. We find none. We are rare.

You are a miracle of the galaxy, and I believe biology has incredible potential to flourish with love and coexistence for billions of years if it chooses.

The photo is NASA'S depiction, or perhaps map of the known universe.

Now... am I saying go conquer it all and burn it all to the ground? Of course not.

Am I saying our plan should be to just ditch the planet we are on after we trash it? Also no.

Is our adventuring, expanding, and growing nature a precursor to our galactic exploration?

I have no reason to believe it couldn't be, unless humanity is destroyed before it reaches this point. Of all of the biological species on earth, humans have been given the capability of possibly inhabiting other planets. Because we are the species capable, we have a responsiblity to biology to do so as soon as possible on the pretenses that this planet may not be habitable for the only species with rockets forever. What purpose does biology as a whole have other than to experience existence, evolve, and grow? All of biology does this. It took 14 billion years for Earth to create homo sapien. As soon as we have the capacity to inhabit another planet we have the responsibility for the continuation of life.

This is why I choose to encourage sustainable peaceful coexistence, as I think in order to achieve this we must work diligently and collectively or else we will either self destruct or be hit with nature reverting to the stone age or rendering us extinct. Reaching as close as possible to sustainable peaceful coexistence worldwide is a moral imperative. Must this mean one world government? No, and I balk at the idea.

The first goal is education. Vast education in all facets of life, especially including fundamental subjects, but also in specialized institutions for personalized career development worldwide. We need the populace to be extremely educated in fundamentals so they can determine more pursuits of evolutionary importance, increase their own general welfare, and increase the welfare and intelligence of the entirety. We need less focus on generating funds from random useless crap, and more focus on solving incredible problems. The only way to do this is with a massive increase in education worldwide.
  • Judaka

When you die the universe will be sucked into the abyss and nothingness will reign for eternity.
  • Lif3r
    That's beautiful poetry, but lacking in evidence, context, and substance.
  • Lif3r
    are you choosing to ignore your responsibility to biology? To the future of life? Have you no soul, or heart, or conscience, or have your merely lost hope?

I tend to bring out the intense existential nihilism in people because I encourage people to get tough and work hard for one another to thrive.
  • Outlander
    Now... am I saying go conquer it all and burn it all to the ground? Of course not.Lif3r

The fact that this is even a warranted statement explains why we're all here and probably will be for some time.

Am I saying our plan should be to just ditch the planet we are on after we trash it? Also no.Lif3r

Again, wow. Call it a proving ground, call it a correctional facility. Neither functions have been fulfilled so there's much more learning and progress to be made. Inward, not outward. You make a bed, you should lay in it- basically.
  • Lif3r
    Outlander this solutions is very simple. Difficult to achieve, but simple. We must do both simultaneously.
  • Lif3r
    We have to render our destructive nature into a flourishing nature, although alas if we fail on the next planet there may still be opportunities on the ones after that. Destruction does not have to be the fundamental nature of man, but if it is until we reach an intelligence beyond such, then it must be so.

For what good is all of this universe with nothing to witness it?

We are here to bare witness to such magnificence. So be it!
  • Lif3r
    And yes there is much between educating the world and sustainable... (Outlander, follow me here please)

Sustainable Peaceful Coexistence
  • Judaka

There is no existential nihilism here, I am happy to live in the world the way it is but my truth must take precedence over fantasies and other conceptualisations. Your truth is that anyone but you can die and life goes on but when you die all that you ever perceived will be perceived by you no more. Your narratives only exist to entertain and inspire you while you're alive, it's a story that you tell yourself, a story that ends with you.
  • zookeeper
    As soon as we have the capacity to inhabit another planet we have the responsibility for the continuation of life.Lif3r

You got it all backwards! As soon as we have the capacity, we must extinguish all known life and try to minimize the chances of it arising again.

However, anything that furthers sustainable peaceful coexistence seems like a good strategy for getting to that point, so I'm with you for now.
  • Lif3r
    wrong, you live on through the contact and communication you have with others, and their's forward as well.

Physically you contain atoms from every human to ever exist in your body. We all do.
  • Judaka

Well, that is true based on your experience... the very thing that will end once you die. What you believe while you're alive can be evaluated in any number of ways, take your caring about the future for instance. You feel hopeful, excited, passionate and I think this makes your belief a good one. For all your logic and argumentation, you are what decides whether your belief is good or not. I hope you can live and die believing humanity will continue, none of it will matter afterwards.
  • Lif3r
    I think you might be an idiot. No offense.
  • Judaka

You have not accepted your position as the epicentre of your universe, you who dictate meaning and you who interpret and characterise all things. Your conceptualisation of me would be obliterated by the vast differences in our viewpoints if it somehow crossed into my consciousness. Why should I concern myself with the laws of another land? I only point out the finality of your positions in the event of your death.

Imagine you were asked to die for your ideals, you could die feeling you did what you thought was best but then nothing. Absolutely nothing, for all eternity.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.