• ssu
    Trump can rile up the media and his critics with a single tweet, in this case raising the question about delaying the election. Meanwhile news about the economy falls on deaf ears.NOS4A2
    Yeah, he could also tweet out that he's thinking about a pre-emptive nuclear attack on North Korea.

I promise that would also push aside the bad economic news too.

So Bravo for that thinking! Great way to get media attention.

Anyway, you'll all love the shit show this is going to be in the end of the year.
  • Streetlight
    It's hilarious how fuckwit like NOS thinks Trump is playing some kind of 11D chess when it's clear that Trump just bleets out whatever he shits out of his brain at whatever moment in time. Exactly how stupid does one have to be to buy into the post-hoc rationalization of a compete fucking idiot like Trump? NOS stupid, I guess. No surprise given that Trump's presidency is reliant upon a citizenry of brain-dead morons.
  • NOS4A2

Anyway, you'll all love the shit show this is going to be in the end of the year.

I can’t wait.

Mass mail-in voting is ripe for voter fraud (ballot harvesting for instance), but given the delays of the NY primary with its own mail-in voting, one is forced to wonder what such a mess would look like on a national scale. I’m not sure what happens if a president isn’t decided by Jan 20th, but the thought of president Pelosi sends shivers down my spine.

The dem’s HEROES act, which is a coronavirus relief bill, has a lot to do with the elections For some reason.
  • tim wood
    It's hilarious how fuckwit like NOS thinks Trump is playing some kind of 11D chessStreetlightX
    Hilarious I wouldn't know. Question: do you imagine Trump rows his own boat? I take it that no one person could be as consistently awful in matters great and small he has been. Call it my version of a belief in "intelligent" design. Somewhere, somehow, some way, there's an account of it all that makes sense of most of it. Trump's personal contribution being the parts that simple don't make sense at all.

Not that he isn't that awful, only that he's not that competently incompetent.
  • ssu
    Question: do you imagine Trump rows his own boat? I take it that no one person could be as consistently awful in matters great and small he has been. Call it my version of a belief in "intelligent" design. Somewhere, somehow, some way, there's an account of it all that makes sense of most of it. Trump's personal contribution being the parts that simple don't make sense at all.

Not that he isn't that awful, only that he's not that competently incompetent.
    tim wood
    Completely incompetent at leadership. Talking to his supporters he is good, but that simply isn't leadership.

The thing is, if you raise the anchor and start the motors of a ship, the ship will surely go somewhere even if nobody is at the helm. It will likely run aground somewhere (if nobody mans the rudder before it happens), but what that somewhere is, who knows.

That's your Trump presidency. The captain can stay at his quarters and tweet with his phone, you know.

B2Q47FTCKUI6VC5HMJAQ5XUMOY.jpg
  • tim wood
    Just for the heck of it. I find consistency. Along with your ship that always goes somewhere, gun instruction tells us that the bullet (itself) never misses. But Trump never seems to miss; that is, his efforts seem non-randomly incident on certain targets in certain ways. Do you attribute that to his marksmanship? Incompetence, it seems to me, could not be so accurate. But Trump isn't that skilled. So who drives him? I think several things. I suspect Russian influence near the top. For more local outrages, there's the synergy of a lot of very bad people. But if Russian hands aren't on the srings somewhere, I'm very surprised. Of course a master like Putin may have decided, once he set this in motion, that letting it play out as his best course to take. In short, I think Vlad's got tape and a paper and financial trial, and has let his desires be known. You?
  • NOS4A2

That's your Trump presidency. The captain can stay at his quarters and tweet with his phone, you know.

He can whip up the hostile press while running the most powerful nation the world has ever seen. Pretty amazing. One cannot say that about anyone else. But that’s what we should expect of a man of enterprise, as opposed to a lifelong politician and lawyer.
  • tim wood
    I can imagine exactly where you'd be scurrying to be in late 1930s Germany, and it's disgusting to think of. So deep, inextractable. Foul, uncleanable. And wrong.
  • ssu
    He can whip up the hostile press while running the most powerful nation the world has ever seen.NOS4A2
    Umm... let's be honest: any Republican President will whup up hostile press. Yet just what this criticism is really makes the difference.

With a more able republican president the criticism would be the usual: that the policies benefit the rich, that it's laissez faire free market oriented and the usual. Not that the president is totally inept at his job: it would be just presumed that US presidents have minimum requirements.

Reagan was laughed at and ridiculed to be just an actor only at the start of his first term.
  • 180 Proof
    I am the ...
    AMERICAN CARNAGE — DJT
    :vomit:
  • Banno
    He can whip up the hostile press while running the most powerful nation the world has ever seen.NOS4A2

You misspelt ruining.
  • NOS4A2

The media industrial complex had a little more credibility back then, let’s be honest. Just look at the lies of that Der Speigel journo. The fakest of news informs us. So it’s no surprise the ludicrous beliefs.
  • ssu
    Der Speigel journoNOS4A2

You mean Der Spiegel? I lost your thought on this.
  • NOS4A2

Yes. Disgraced journo Claas Relotius of one of Europe’s most influential magazines peddled lies to its readers about the president and his supporters. This is just one example of the misinformation that anti-Trumpers feast on.
  • Benkei
    He's grasping at straws because that story is old (2018), which, for instance, that "fake media rag" the wapo reported on. Leave it to NOS to elevate a single instance to a standard, while failing to see the pattern of fascistic thought, contempt for the law and cronyism of the Trump administration.

Der Spiegel has one bad article and is untrustworthy. Trump lies everyday and he's a hero. NOS is the worst type of fool or paid.
  • NOS4A2

He's grasping at straws because that story is old (2018), which, for instance, that "fake media rag" the wapo reported on. Leave it to NOS to elevate a single instance to a standard, while failing to see the pattern of fascistic thought, contempt for the law and cronyism of the Trump administration.

Der Spiegel has one bad article and is untrustworthy. Trump lies everyday and he's a hero. NOS is the worst type of fool or paid.

The president is not a journalist and never has been, so holding him to the same standards as the people who are employed to inform us is stupid at best.

It wasn't just one article, a single instance, as Der Spiegel itself found Relotius to have fabricated around 14 articles. This is an egregious example, surely, but there is plenty of media mistakes that one can cite.

I can offer plenty of examples of these mistakes, while you offer exactly zero of Trump's "fascistic" thought crimes.
  • Michael
    The president is not a journalist and never has been, so holding him to the same standards as the people who are employed to inform us is stupid at best.NOS4A2

The President should be held to a lesser standard than a journalist? The President isn't supposed to inform the country? What planet are you from?
  • NOS4A2

Who would you rather inform the public, journalists or politicians?
  • Michael
    Who would you rather inform the public, journalists or politicians?NOS4A2

About things that concern government activity? The President, of course.

And you've already made it plainly clear that you don't like it when journalists use anonymous sources in their stories but believe everything that Trump and the White House say. Make up your mind.
  • NOS4A2

Good luck with that.
  • Benkei
    Nice cherry picking. I do mention three issues. Let's start with his multitude of lies and work our way up from there.

Cronyism and contempt for the law. Obstruction of justice, having Barr intervene with Flynn. Commuting Roger Stone's sentence. Appointing family members to governmental positions. Giving out government positions to wealthy donors.

Fascism. His suggestion to postpone the election, activating federal officers to kidnap us citizens, the Bible bullshit, his on the fence reaction to racist protests ending in violence, retweeting racist and xenophobic shit.

But yeah, head in the sand, nothing to see here.
  • Maw
    The president is not a journalist and never has been, so holding him to the same standards as the people who are employed to inform us is stupid at best.NOS4A2

I agree, presidents should not be expected to inform people. They should be expected to take photos with Goya products, play golf twice a day, and tweet at 3am. That's it.
  • NOS4A2

Nice cherry picking. I do mention three issues. Let's start with his multitude of lies and work our way up from there.

Cronyism and contempt for the law. Obstruction of justice, having Barr intervene with Flynn. Commuting Roger Stone's sentence. Appointing family members to governmental positions. Giving out government positions to wealthy donors.

Fascism. His suggestion to postpone the election, activating federal officers to kidnap us citizens, the Bible bullshit, his on the fence reaction to racist protests ending in violence, retweeting racist and xenophobic shit.

But yeah, head in the sand, nothing to see here.

Trump has 25 pardons, 11 commutations. Compare that to Obama's 212 pardons, and 1,715 commutations. So big deal. Barr said Trump has never asked him to intervene, so you're inventing things without evidence. And there is nothing inherently wrong with appointing family members to government positions—RFK for example—or to donors, especially if they are not benefiting from it. Speaking of grasping for straws.

You don't know what fascism is. The federal officers are doing their job, protecting federal property and citizens from violent rioters and insurrectionists. As for tweets and retweets, this is the sound of me playing the world's smallest violin. You need a thicker skin or you won't be able to survive in this world.
  • Michael

Good luck with that.NOS4A2

So you finally admit that we can't trust what Trump and the White House say about what they get up to? Glad we got there in the end.
  • Michael
    Barr said Trump has never asked him to interveneNOS4A2

But we can't hold him to the same standard as journalists because it's not his job to keep us informed, so we can't assume he's telling the truth.
  • NOS4A2

So you finally admit that we can't trust what Trump and the White House say about what they get up to? Glad we got there in the end.

If you make a habit of trusting politicians you're going to have a tough go. The proof is in the pudding, not in the words.
  • NOS4A2

But we can't hold him to the same standard as journalists because it's not his job to keep us informed, so we can't assume he's telling the truth.

You can't assume he's not, either, and for the same reason.
  • Michael
    If you make a habit of trusting politicians you're going to have a tough go.NOS4A2

All you do is trust Trump and distrust anyone who says anything critical of him. It's all fake news and Democrat hoaxes and Trump Derangement Syndrome to you.

You can't assume he's not, either, and for the same reason.

His actions have shown that his priority is to protect Trump from any accountability, so I have good reason to assume he's lying. And let's not forget that time he was caught lying when he announced that Geoffrey Berman had resigned. Or that time Judge Walton called Barr's summary of Mueller's report "distorted" and "misleading".
  • fdrake
    "It turns out Republicans can accept a batshit insane candidate so long as it's consistent insanity" - Christopher Wylie
  • NOS4A2

All you do is trust Trump and distrust anyone who says anything critical of him. It's all fake news and Democrat hoaxes and Trump Derangement Syndrome to you.

All of which was borne out by the results. He was right.

His actions have shown that his priority is to protect Trump from any accountability, so I have good reason to assume he's lying. And let's not forget that time he was caught lying when he announced that Geoffrey Berman had resigned. Or that time Judge Walton called Barr's summary of Mueller's report "distorted" and "misleading".

As Barr said in his most recent testimony, he used the language "stepping down" (not "resign", which is a lie) because this is the sort of language they use to offer flexibility after being removed, in this case Barr wanted to offer him another position the next day. Instead he got fired.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.