• praxis
    I cant help but see you seem to be taking the “weak character” comment personally. Is that what you actually want to discuss? Whether or not I think you have weak character?DingoJones

One of the three discussions I started on this forum was about TDS. I think it's simply a method to invalidate any criticism of Trump, in the minds of his supporters. I don't recall it ever being applied to an individual. I suppose that's because if it were applied to an instance of it then an actual criticism would need to be taken into consideration.

I wasn't aiming that at anyone in particularDingoJones

Were you aiming at a fictitious person then?
  • DingoJones
    One of the three discussions I started on this forum was about TDS. I think it's simply a method to invalidate any criticism of Trump, in the minds of his supporters. I don't recall it ever being applied to an individual. I suppose that's because if it were applied to an instance of it then an actual criticism would need to be taken into consideration.praxis

We’ve has that discussion already. Led nowhere.

Were you aiming at a fictitious person then?praxis

Already explained. You must have missed it. (Not that I believe this is an honest question.)
  • praxis

Is it impossible for you to point out examples so I can get a clear picture of what you’re talking about?
  • DingoJones

Dont see how an example would be any more clear. I think you want an example so you can argue about the example instead of what im actually talking about. You want to argue about Trumps character. If thats the case, just say so. It will be a short discussion.
  • Streetlight
    Trump is a walking bag of limp dicks who has materially and unapologetically increased the degree of misery in the world by multiple factors, so its kinda hard to understand why anyone owes a cunt like him even a modicum of respect.
  • praxis
    Dont see how an example would be any more clear.DingoJones

You don't see how evidence would support your views or argument, seriously?

I think you want an example so you can argue about the example instead of what im actually talking about. You want to argue about Trumps character.DingoJones

You're not arguing about Trump's character. You're arguing about the character of others in relation to TDS in some way that is unclear to me. If you have no interest in making it clearer to me that's your choice.
  • Relativist
    t’s not out of the question to suspect that the most powerful man in the universe is privy to more information than you or I.NOS4A2
    LOL! You've pretended you hadn't drunk the Trump Kool-aid, and were merely being pragmatic. You're worse than the people you hypocritically criticize, because you give credibility to a man who's been shown to have been non-factual over 18,000 times during his Presidency.
  • DingoJones
    You don't see how evidence would support your views or argument, seriously?praxis

No, I said I dont think an example would make it any more clear. I think it would muddy the waters in fact, as ive also already explained.

You're not arguing about Trump's character. You're arguing about the character of others in relation to TDS in some way that is unclear to me. If you have no interest in making it clearer to me that's your choice.praxis

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt here. So you are specifically talking about this bit, just for clarities sake:

“They have a particular taste for abusing an easy target, like a bully who picks on the unpopular kid so he can satisfy his weak character while still maintaining social favour with the other kids.
    — DingoJones“

?
  • NOS4A2

Oh dear. You’re going to wag your finger because I posted a tweet and asked a question? What an odd waste of effort.
  • praxis

That and what proceeded it, like the following.

I meant that TDS has people relegating Trump to the person no longer worthy of respect or fairness, that they view Trump as evil and therefore a guilt free punching bag. What does it matter if you arent fair or respectful to pure evil? ...DingoJones

It’s unclear if you’re saying that only deranged people can view Trump as evil or that demonization is an expression of derangement. In any case, your meaning is not clear, to me at least. And then in addition to this the bullying thing somehow fits.

Wouldn’t an example help to show how this all works? I honestly don’t get it.
  • DingoJones

Im talking about a specific type of Trump critic, the ones that lie or distort what Trump says or does because its easy and no one will call them on it cuz its Trump. Not everyone who is anti-Trump does this, not even everyone who has TDS does this.
    The most recent example is journalists who wrote that Trump told people to drink or inject bleach in that press conference and people did and its all Trumps fault. Thats just not true, what he actually did was make an idiotic, off the top of his head comment about a potential treatment. He displayed ignorance, but anyone who heard that and thought it was a good idea to inject or drink bleach is an idiot and its not Trumps fault.
    On the other side, im sure you can think of your own examples of Fox news or Republican politicians lying and distorting for Trumps benefit. The “inject bleach” example above works on this end too. Any Fox reporter or right wing personality that repeated the “it was sarcasm” excuse (and believes it) is not thinking clearly. TDS...
    Trump is the divider in chief, and people on the left play right into his hands when they compare him to Hitler or bend over backwards to interpret anything he says or does in the worst possible way. Then he has fake news to point to when he wants to distract or obscure the actual terrible things he says and does.
  • Benkei
    everyone who has TDSDingoJones

Nobody has this because it's not an existing condition. It also has nothing to do with the examples you raise.

Of course the headline will be "Trump suggests injecting bleach" instead of "Trump suggests research should be done into injecting bleach". The first one is obvious click bait and the articles I read are in fact accurately reproducing what he really said. Even so, his actual statement is only marginally less stupid than the headline, so I'll give that a potato-potahto shrug.

The other side of the story is a news outlet actively trying to spread and support the lie Trump uttered to hide the fact he said something incredibly stupid. That has nothing to do with news but is about an underlying interest for FOX shareholders/directors that trumps doing journalism. That could be financial interests to not upset your viewer base, partisan loyalty (propaganda?) or political manoeuvring.

Neither is about TDS.
  • praxis

Besides what Benkei points out, I did a search for journalists reporting that “Trump told people to drink or inject bleach” and all I could find were headlines about him suggesting that injecting disinfectants might work as a treatment.

Another failure to support your claims with evidence.
  • Chester
    Anyone remember that disinfectant that you could gargle...5012616170409.jpg
  • Chester
    Just as an aside, I've been wondering if swimmers who regularly dunk themselves in chlorinated water are less likely to get covid 19....
  • DingoJones

Well I dont have as cavalier an attitude about headlines that mislead like that as you do. I think its important not to do that, especially concerning Trump. As I said, it plays into his hands.
  • DingoJones

You cant have looked very hard. It was the first headline that came up from the BBC when I just did it.
    Benkei made a good point, that the actual articles dint say what the headlines say, clickbait. I think thats true, I just think that those clickbait headlines are very damaging. Thats maybe more about the state of journalism, but I dont think that excuses it.
  • NOS4A2
    Wow. Acting Director of National Intelligence, Grenell, just declassified the list of officials who “unmasked” Michael Flynn. Included are ambassador to the UN Samantha Power, James Comey, Obama’s chief of staff Denis McDonough, and none other than Vice-President Joe Biden. I assume Obama was aware, and if not, he was an idiot. Either way, this has political hitjob written all over it.

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2020-05-13%20ODNI%20to%20CEG%20RHJ%20(Unmasking).pdf
  • Baden

Wow! ObAMaCoMeYBidEnGAte!
  • Benkei
    I assume Obama was aware, and if not, he was an idiotNOS4A2

Lmao. Just like Trump about his son meeting Russians. Of all the dishonesty and lies you've been dumping on this forum I think that one sentence takes the cake.
  • NOS4A2

You think I’m lying about making that assumption? I love how you convince yourself of nonsense. It seems so easy.
  • Benkei
    *facepalm" I think you're too near sighted to read properly...
  • NOS4A2

I guess it’s a good thing that I don’t care what you think.
  • Baden
    mkjeaxdnb1bpjnfh.png
    Attachment
    obamagate-1024x800 (314K)
  • Baden

If that was Biden, I might be worried. :lol:
  • Michael
    Speaking of spying, Senate Votes to Allow FBI to Look at Your Web Browsing History Without a Warrant. It also lets the Attorney General review evidence presented to the FISA Court.
  • Benkei
    Cool. An oligarch police state.
  • Streetlight
    With, of course, support of the democrats. This is the 'alternative' that American citizens are supposed to vote for.
  • Streetlight
    Not Even the People Ranting About “Obamagate” Know What It Is -

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05/trump-tweet-obamagate-rand-paul-richard-grenell.html

Our little forum being a microcosm lol.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.