• Baden

Birx's face is priceless.
  • Michael
    I find it really hard to watch videos of Trump talking. I'm quite sensitive to second-hand embarrassment.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    aerosolizefrank

I'll be impressed when he can exegize Hegel or describe a beatific psychirradiance. [sic]
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Whoops. The above was in response to the ape link. Can't do quoteless replies on my phone.
  • Punshhh
    Was listening to a guy who was looking for something Trump could do which would turn his supporters away. The only thing which anyone thought could do it was if he was a closet gay, or bum boy. Shooting someone on 5th avenue, or saying anything at all wouldn't have the same effect.
  • Benkei
    closet gay,Punshhh

Once he goes to prison he'll be someone's bitch. Does that count?
  • Punshhh
    I doubt it, he could claim he was coerced. It has to be something weak* which he can't possibly blame on someone else.

It's interesting the thought had a president or prime minister could govern the country from a jail cell. During the Brexit debacle, the unlawful preroging of parliament, there was a possibility that the Prime minister could be sent to prison and his supporters were shouting that he would continue to run the country and have their support while in jail. Johnson didn't shirk from the possibility.

*any kind of mental aberration, or illness would be insufficient.
  • Banno
    @NOS4A2, did you reply to this?
  • NOS4A2

I don’t know the answer to the question. Care to enlighten me?
  • Banno
    Backtrack the conversation.

I hope I can defend any statement I make or position I hold. Which position do you wish to see me justify?NOS4A2
  • BB100
    Is this the longest thread? I mean on length and and in Longevity.
  • Streetlight
    Gosh he's squirming like the worm he is lol.
  • Wolfman
    Is there a reason why NOS4A2 is being treated like this? I searched his post history expecting to find him trolling or flaming, but his posts have actually been rather cordial and subdued. While I disagree with almost everything he says, there's enough anti-Trump people here such that we don't need to resort to bullying. Yes, Trump and many of his supporters often do it, but we're not them either.
  • Punshhh
    Is there a reason why NOS4A2 is being treated like this?
    It isn't his manner, it's what he's saying. He so often trots out dogma from Trump's playbook and claims that those who call him out are doing the same from the Democratic side of the argument. Even people like me who don't live in the US, or take a side in US politics.

The principle modus operandi is, hey I'm not lying, look at the other guy he's the one that's lying. The aim being to paint everyone as lying, so there is no objective truth anymore. Cross this with "doublethink", claiming to support, or discuss both sides of any argument, so that which ever side looks most favourable following events is what you were predicting and supporting, all along. Etc etc.

And as a last resort, Oh, I was being sarcastic, so it's alright if I told everyone in the country to inject with cleaning fluid while thousands of fellow citizens are dying in the deadliest pandemic for centuries. I didn't mean it I was being sarcastic.
  • Wolfman

Yeah, I looked over his posts in the last several pages of this thread, and I don't see that at all.
  • Punshhh
    you might need to look a bit further back.
  • Benkei
    Thanks for the compliment. I don't think Dutch people are smarter per se but the average educational level is higher and the country is smaller which means some knowledge of international affairs becomes necessary for almost every business.

As to Dutch stupidity: there's a conspiracy theory that g5 is causing covid-19. So people are lighting up communication towers here (where no 5g is installed yet but whatever).
  • Wayfarer
    Trump has hit the lowest point AGAIN! How many lowest points can one person hit? Well, stay tuned. But after an unending torrent of disasters, lies, mis-speakings and mistakes, Trump always manages to find something worse to say. Just when you think it can’t possibly get worse, he makes it worse. ‘Hey, I know - let’s clean our lungs with bleach and inject ultraviolet light into the body!’ Right there, on the stage, audience of 200 million.

You never know what he’ll say next, but one thing we can all be sure of - there will always be greater depths to plumb.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    cordial and subduedWolfman

They say the devil is a gentleman.

He has told a lot of lies and peppered his posts with dis- and misinformation. When it suits his case, he refuses to respond to direct questions. He has, likely intentionally,* curried our disfavor.

*The chemicals of the agony are possibly the most addictive.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I searched his post history expecting to find him trolling or flaming, but his posts have actually been rather cordial and subdued.Wolfman

There is such a thing as cordial and subdued trolling. It might even be a more effective tactic for the troll. NOS4A2 often repeats directly and precisely what president Trump tweets or says, with uncanny parroting ability, sometimes even elucidating those statements, as if being the author of the statement. This elicits numerous possibilities. Perhaps NOS is president Trump. Perhaps NOS is a bot. Perhaps NOS is paid to make such repetitions. Perhaps NOS admires president Trump so much, and believes that repeating his lies and attempting to defend them will have the effect of influencing others to believe them. And of course there could be a combination of such factors.

The problem is, that no matter what president Trump says, NOS4A2 automatically, and immediately, repeats it, and defends it. It is the accuracy of that descriptive term, "automatically" which reveals the darkness underneath.
  • NOS4A2

Is there a reason why NOS4A2 is being treated like this? I searched his post history expecting to find him trolling or flaming, but his posts have actually been rather cordial and subdued. While I disagree with almost everything he says, there's enough anti-Trump people here such that we don't need to resort to bullying. Yes, Trump and many of his supporters often do it, but we're not them either.

It’s an aspect of anti-trumpism. Anyone or anything that looks favorably on the president is subject to hostility and persecution and censorship. It’s a sort of fanaticism. They actually think I’m a Russian bot, not because I’ve spoken Russian or anything, but because it’s what they’ve been taught to believe.
  • Benkei
    It’s an aspect of anti-trumpism.NOS4A2

Your go-to phrase when confronted with a narrative that contradicts your lies.
  • praxis
    It’s an aspect of anti-trumpism. Anyone or anything that looks favorably on the president is subject to hostility and persecution and censorship. It’s a sort of fanaticism. They actually think I’m a Russian bot, not because I’ve spoken Russian or anything, but because it’s what they’ve been taught to believe.NOS4A2

Just recently you've been caught in blatant lies. Why would anyone bother to lie on this forum unless they were either a fanatic or being paid?

Anything you post can only be trusted if it's verifiable, at this point.
  • Relativist
    I think the idea that he is suggesting injecting bleach into people, or something like this, is an uncharitable, not to mention inaccurate, interpretation of what he was sayingWolfman
    I agree. But despite our goodwill toward Trump on this matter, he reacts to the unfair reporting by lying, claiming he was being sarcastic.

No, he wasn't recommending people ingest bleach. He was making a naive extrapolation from what he had just heard about the effectiveness of various methods of killing the virus on surfaces. But he just can't bring himself to admitting that, so he has to lie.
  • DingoJones
    Is there a reason why NOS4A2 is being treated like this? I searched his post history expecting to find him trolling or flaming, but his posts have actually been rather cordial and subdued. While I disagree with almost everything he says, there's enough anti-Trump people here such that we don't need to resort to bullying. Yes, Trump and many of his supporters often do it, but we're not them either.Wolfman

His defence of Trump and his refusal to placate for the most part. Because of Trump Derangement Syndrome, he has been relegated to a category of person no longer worthy of fairness nor respect. He is an agent of evil, and so a guilt free punching bag for the weak of character.
    Not to say all his critics are like that, but Trump Derangement Syndrome is real and its primary definitive feature is not being able to think clearly on matters if Trump (or in more serious cases, anything that can be even remotely tied to Trump) so even then he seldom gets the fair or charitable interactions afforded to others.
  • DingoJones
    I agree. But despite our goodwill toward Trump on this matter, he reacts to the unfair reporting by lying, claiming he was being sarcastic.

No, he wasn't recommending people ingest bleach. He was making a naive extrapolation from what he had just heard about the effectiveness of various methods of killing the virus on surfaces. But he just can't bring himself to admitting that, so he has to lie.
    Relativist

:100: (edited to add that, it didnt work the first time)
    It is just as dishonest for people to claim he was suggesting people ingest bleach as it is for Trump to say he was being sarcastic.
  • Baden

No, it's not mythical TDS in my view, it's because he almost exclusively posts about, and in support of, Trump with often a high degree of apparently calculated spin. Nobody else in the history of this site has spent even close to the proportion of time, energy, and number of posts to support their political personality of choice. It's unprecedented and naturally draws suspicion as do some of his inconsistent statements about himself and his background. But he doesn't usually break the rules and when he does, corrects course as far as I can see, so as long as that holds, he's entitled to the same privileges and protections as any other member. Anyone can use the flag function if they think he's being mistreated.
  • DingoJones

TDS is not mythical. Maybe it gets tossed around too much as such terms do, but I have met and witnessed it many times.
    Ive noticed the time and energy as well, and agree it is suspicious. Ive asked him about it myself. I wouldnt say that justifies how he is often treated though. If he did the same thing about not Trump, I very much doubt he would be getting the same treatment. GnosticBishop is the same way about anti-christian stuff, those two anti-natalists are the same way about their posts, Wallows (or whatever hes called now) is the same way with his therapy posts etc, there is a type of poster that just doggedly stays on point about something and none of those other people get treated like that. (Except by me maybe). Still, even after that consideration I agree its suspicious.
    I realise you are often his sparring partner, but I wasnt singling you out in the post you responded to.
  • Echarmion
    He is an agent of evil,DingoJones

I think knowingly spreading propaganda that may contribute to decisions that end up killing people for political gain is evil. Arguably, spreading any kind of propaganda or misinformation is. So "agent of evil" seems accurate.

But maybe that's my weak character talking.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.