• Shawn
    This might be taboo to ask a philosopher to criticize another psychologist (philosopher)? But, I am keenly interested in Prof. Pigliucci's take on the purported perversion of Stoicism by mainstream people like Jordan Peterson.

Here's a take to the matter:

https://modernstoicism.com/nope-jordan-peterson-aint-no-stoic-by-massimo-pigliucci/
  • I like sushi
    Interesting take. I certainly agree with Peterson’s use of ‘post-modern’ speech. Overall though I think Peterson has done more good than harm and I’m certainly bored of watching the whole conflated media heist that was (it’s done for now it seems) Peterson’s contributions to pop-social science and the social media frenzy that explodes whenever anyone is vaguely offended by someone they disagree with..

No one is completely right and no one is completely wrong.

I’m sure stoicism is a great approach for some people, but I truly believe it is naive to assume to suits all, or even most, personalities. I’m interested to learn more about the modern take on stoicism with the questions posed. I’ve only read sections of Epi., Aur. and Sen. I’m generally opposed to wholesale ‘ethical’ positions, yet I do think they are useful for communicating individual moral stances and exploring ideas about innate morality and law and order.
  • Shawn
    Overall though I think Peterson has done more good than harm and I’m certainly bored of watching the whole conflated media heist that was (it’s done for now it seems) Peterson’s contributions to pop-social science and the social media frenzy that explodes whenever anyone is vaguely offended by someone they disagree with..I like sushi

Yes, Peterson is a pretty interesting character, though, I think he owes a debt to Stoic thought, that he doesn't necessarily acknowledge. Some people might think he's reinventing the wheel in regards to Stoicism and its practical applications to modern-day living.

I mean, cite your sources, for goodness sake.
  • Amity
    I just noticed that Philosophy Day has passed - Thurs 21st November.
    https://philosophydayatccny.wordpress.com
    ...and wondered what the Prof's input had been.
    Not got there yet, but found this:

https://massimopigliucci.wordpress.com/author/mpigliucci/

Massimo links to several articles he has come across recently which he thinks worth considering.
    One here which might put the cat among the pigeons:

I wish I’d never been born: the rise of the anti-natalists. * (Guardian)Massimo Pigliucci

Now, this is interesting - when I used the quote function, it didn't include his throwaway opinion:

* [ I still think this is more than a bit silly, but whatever.]

Hmmm...
    Next question...how would he more fully respond to this apparently growing philosophical view ?
    Or would he think it not worth it ?
  • Baden
    We've now updated Prof. Pigliucci on this discussion and as we've got enough material to choose from, we'll close it for now. Many thanks for all your efforts and enthusiasm. More information to come soon.
  • Baden
    PMs have been sent inviting contributors to begin discussions. All of those who contributed a developed question/set of questions in the form of an OP have been contacted and OPs will begin to be visible from now.

Again, we much appreciate everyone's help in getting this event off the ground.
  • Amity

Congratulations to all chosen OPs :smile:
    Also to team who made this happen. Well done, guys !
    Looking forward to the discussions between you and Massimo Pigliucci.
  • Baden

Cheers. By the way all, in order to make sure no-one else accidentally (or otherwise!) posts in the Guest Speaker discussions apart from Prof Pigliucci and those chosen to participate, I've had to set custom permissions for this category, which means that for the moment at least, no discussion here, including this one, can be commented on by regular members.

Edit: Topics listed here: https://thephilosophyforum.com/categories/32/massimo-pigliucci
  • Shawn
    @Baden, can we get an estimate when Prof. Pigliucci will join us?
  • Baden

We're hoping he'll have time during this first week of December. If I get any firmer information, I'll let you know.
  • Baden

Massimo has now joined the site. :smile:

(By the way, I ask that members please observe decorum and not send Prof. Pigliucci any unsolicited PMs. I expect he's likely to have enough on his plate with the questions here. Thanks.)
  • Baden
    Just to add that the way we've organized this with Prof. Pigliucci is that he'll answer the five OPs gradually and then he may, if he has time, follow up on some of the discussions. Obviously, there's a lot of information in the OPs, so we appreciate any responses we get and we hope those reading enjoy the event and learn something from it.
  • I like sushi
    Hope for everything and expect nothing :)

I’m hoping for a follow up, if not then I’ll just have to make do with the Stoicism stuff.
  • fdrake
    Seems Prof. Pigliucci is more busy than he thought and doesn't have much time to reply to anything, unfortunately.
  • Baden
    That's the bad news. The good news is we've opened up the discussions now, so anyone can post there. Yay!

Eh, anyway, we put a lot of effort into this and did our best to make it work. And I'm proud of all of us and the community as a whole for trying. :clap:
  • Shawn
    Eh, anyway, we put a lot of effort into this and did our best to make it work. And I'm proud of so of us and the community as a whole for trying. :clap:Baden

Wallowsome; but, everything is OK.
  • Baden

Time to be stoical? :grin:
  • Shawn
    Time to be stoical? :grin:Baden

I suppose so. At least we got one reply.

:blush:
  • Baden

That's the spirit!
  • Amity
    we put a lot of effort into this and did our best to make it work. And I'm proud of all of us and the community as a whole for trying. :clap:Baden

Yes indeed.
    And Massimo must be pretty pleased too. All that free publicity...
  • Shawn
    Yes indeed.
    And Massimo must be pretty pleased too. All that free publicity...
    Amity

The grapes are sour.
  • ovdtogt

Let us all pray to Massimo. OHMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Jamal
    He has suggested trying again in the future some time, with just one thread and a more general topic.
  • Amity

From the Fox and the Grapes ?
    'The moral of the story is that you often hate what you can't have.'
    I don't hate anyone.
    Not even when they don't live up to my expectations.
    It is what it is, as they say...
  • tim wood
    Is there a consensus on exactly what we're asking our guest to do? I don't pretend to know, but on a continuum of arm-wrestling at one and and being educated at the other, I myself favor the being educated end. To that end, imo very short and more-or-less open-ended , or, very short and specific questions are best to start with.

We have ours and our brother's and sister's loquaciousness whenever we like. Maybe better to be succinct, here, and give our guest the space?
  • Baden

We modelled the format from the way it was done on the previous site, but, yes, we'll likely introduce word limits on questions and maybe reduce the number of OPs in future.
  • Amity
    very short and more-or-less open-ended , or, very short and specific questions are best to start with.tim wood
    give our guest the space?tim wood

We modelled the format from the way it was done on the previous site, but, yes, we'll likely introduce word limits on questions and maybe reduce the number of OPs in future.Baden

I suppose this should really go in the Feedback section.
    I think that the format is problematic.

If there is to be a Guest Speaker, would it not be best for that person to suggest suitable format.
    For example, Massimo seems to prefer a single thread with a general topic.

He has suggested trying again in the future some time, with just one thread and a more general topic.jamalrob

If Massimo started the discussion, I think people would have sense and show courtesy ?
    A single thread would be easier to moderate...

Then again, if this type of posting persists from the likes of @ovdtogt
    ''If that's what stoicism means it is total crap."

Is there a way to pre-moderate ?
  • tim wood
    If there is to be a Guest Speaker, would it not be best for that person to suggest suitable format.
    For example, Massimo seems to prefer a single thread with a general topic.
    Amity

I second this as best. Perhaps with a short list of suggestions, akin to a navigation chart that shows where the shoals and reefs lie in our little sea - although a professional philosopher, while he might appreciate it, likely doesn't really need it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.