• iolo

We haven't got many more days or nights if we keep your rulers and their system, have we? 100 years' worth, if we are VERY lucky.
  • ovdtogt
    Okay, how do you want to be ruled? You either rule or be ruled or find yourself a nice island somewhere.
  • iolo
    I'm afraid that is total rubbish. The main thing is to stop believing such arrant nonsense and learn to co-operate with all the other people.
  • ovdtogt
    I'm afraid that is total rubbish.iolo

Clever response..
  • BC
    I was going to comment on your use of arrant, but others have used it AND they have used it correctly (as you also did). But you are in a select group of persons deploying the phrase "arrant nonsense". It's not the coveted "Congratulations! You are the first person to use 'arrant' on The Philosophy Forum!", but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

'Rubbish' and 'total rubbish' are also used quite a bit. "Total" seems to function as an intensifier. Rubbish is rubbish, but total rubbish is more so. Much like 'fucked' and 'totally fucked'.
  • Lif3r
    But you can't expect people to naturally understand how to coordinate or cooperate without guidelines of some sort. It simply doesn't work out. Especially if you omit law altogether. Then it becomes the individual's responsibility to take justice into their own hands. How many times can you expect that to work before it totally collapses the entire society?

I'm gonna say 3, you rob me, I rob you, you shoot me, gang wars ensue, justice becomes in the eye of the beholder and not in the eye of predetermined agreements. Why would anyone revert back to a system of lawlessness when they can simply adhere to predetermined morality teachings that have come before us to solve these issues and make changes or alterations as seen fit by the society?

I just see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Modify, alter, expand... well sure.
    But to throw it all out completely?
    I'm sorry but pride and honor over complete control of the entirety of your individual life is a farce.

You belong to a community called Earth, so pay attention and don't pretend you are alone.
  • Lif3r
    Unless!
    Unless you have a total replacement that actually makes sense. You can throw out the system entirely if there is a completely new system that actually works out, and I would be happy to hear it.
  • Brett

The idea of getting rid of things we don’t like is appealing: get rid of money, get rid of the bosses, get rid of the government. Maybe you haven’t realised that we all have different things we don’t like. Some people you know may want to get rid of you, but you would disagree. So we compromise and make the best of it with ideas we apply as law. Not all of them work. Over time we modify them with new ones. You can’t escape this. You have what you have because of those that came before you and it enables you to think what you like. Maybe even influence things. That’s not so bad.
  • iolo
    Fair enough. I once taught English and I'm relaxing! :)
  • iolo
    If you keep capitalism there is no point in bothering with a 'society' at all, surely? It is just a looting-machine, and we shall only get shot of it by learning to combine together like sensible people instead.
  • iolo
    We'll have to make it up as we go along, doubtless. I'm no utopian bossman.
  • iolo
    They can get rid of me when they please. I've been here a long time, and it's getting worse by the day.
  • ovdtogt
    ↪Brett They can get rid of me when they please. I've been here a long time, and it's getting worse by the day.iolo

How solipsistic can you get?
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.