• Eugen
    There are cases in which there is talk of eternal life, literally infinite and in which even suicide is not possible. I am really scared that many times in these debates things like boredom or low standard of living are brought into discussion. The problem is that when we talk about infinity, boredom or depression are the last problems we have to think about.

If we were put in the situation of choosing an irreversible immortality, should we not make sure that the Universe can give us the chance of a life without torment for an eternity? I think no one would want to be trapped in a black hole for billions of years without being able to do anything at all.
    Even if we somehow solve the problem of the Universe, shouldn't we somehow worry about ourselves? What if a psychopathic mind will torture us for millions of years without interruption? Even if mental issues will be dealt with, how can we make sure politics or even a future cult won't bring us into this situation?

So will man become so smart as to be able to predict the future for an eternity and keep things under control, or will he be stupid and simply fall prey to the momentary temptation to choose irreversible immortality being sure that the issue of boredom will be eventually solved?
  • Echarmion

The issue I see with your line of reasoning is that it seems to me that if someone is hell bent on torturing you for eternity, and has the means to do so, your choice doesn't necessarily factor into it.

Which is to say: if you can choose immortality for yourself, someone else can presumably also force it in you.

The same general line of argument works for some kind of disaster. If we're going to be imagining very specific disasters that do everything except killing you, we might as well also assume they somehow prevent you from dying naturally. In which case again your choice is irrelevant anyways.
  • Eugen
    Well, that is a good point.
    I agree on the torture part, but the part with nature is a bit more complicated in my view. Probably immortality will be an unachievable process in the absence of human intelligence, so if a natural disaster catches you, you would still die from natural causes like hunger or old age.
  • Ugesh
    Yes. It is all about conditioning and perceptions created around it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment