• Mness
    If the child is under 6 or 7, this is generally not considered unethical or a violation of the users' privacy unlike an adult or older child being in the opposite. Why when they are still the opposite sex?

Adult woman taking son in men's room = inappropriate
    Adult man taking daughter women's room= inappropriate

Little girl with father in men's room= acceptable
    Little boy with mom in women's room= acceptable

These all involve someone in the wrong restroom but the first two examples would be a violation of privacy while the second two are not.
  • Streetlight
    This is true. Better abolish sexed bathrooms.
  • ssu
    These all involve someone in the wrong restroom but the first two examples would be a violation of privacy while the second two are not.Mness
    Yes, it's widely known that 6 or 7 year old children sexually harass adults of the other gender in restrooms, so I guess StreetlightX has the only viable answer to this. :nerd:
  • deletedusercb
    These all involve someone in the wrong restroom but the first two examples would be a violation of privacy while the second two are not.Mness
    The kids are in the world of sex yet - hopefully. So the way they would look at the adults is less likely to be in ways that would make them uncomfortable. Further there is a need. In some places, say Grand Central Station, you want to be in the bathroom with your child. For the child's protection. So the least intrusive pattern is for the adult to go to their designated bathroom with their child. It ain't perfect and I would guess some would be less than thrilled to be pissing in a urinal when a father came in with his little girl. But it's the best solution. And I haven't heard any big todoes about it either.
  • Terrapin Station
    The idea that anyone in any bathroom is a "violation of privacy" seems ridiculous to me.
  • Sculptor

It's high time we de-gendered toilets.
    Urinals might have to go, but cubicles solve all problems.
  • Hanover
    The unfairness is that boys can just tie it in a knot and wait until they get home, but girls have to go right away. For that reason. I think girls should get to go wherever they want.
  • unenlightened
    If bathrooms have sex, then surely there must be baby bathrooms somewhere?
  • ernestm
    If you find yourself uncertain how much this applies to you, there is a simple 3-minute test:

https://www.psycom.net/adult-gender-dysphoria-test/
  • Mness

Well, my point was that we segregate for adults and older children but not very small children. So the child is to be looked at as sexless or entirely non sexualized? The adult may be getting turned on by being in the other restroom but the child is likely in no way doing the same. And since very few people are attracted to young children a man should feel nothing if a little girl sees him urinating as compared to a grown woman. Is this the way to basically look at it?
  • deletedusercb
    Well, my point was that we segregate for adults and older children but not very small children. So the child is to be looked at as sexless or entirely non sexualized?Mness

Less sexualized, not a physical threat, in need of a chaperone.
    And since very few people are attracted to young children a man should feel nothing if a little girl sees him urinating as compared to a grown womanMness
    I am not telling people how they should feel. That some people are attracted to young children should not matter since the child will use a stall, if anything, so they will not be viewed more than they would have outside in the corridor. Perhaps someone will get a kick since it is a rest room, but again the need for and presence of the chaperone makes it a best solution and reduces risk of the child ever experiencing something bad or even sensing it.

The adult may be getting turned on by being in the other restroom but the child is likely in no way doing the sameMness
    I think it is very unlikely a child would be turned on in a rest room accompanied by one of their parents. A teenager might be.
  • deletedusercb
    If bathrooms have sex, then surely there must be baby bathrooms somewhere?unenlightened

NOt sure if this is a joke, but in case it wasn't what public place would you send your other sex child into a rest room alone in?
  • unenlightened
    NOt sure if this is a joke,Coben

Sorry. To reassure you, it was a joke, intended to suggest that this is a silly trollish topic. I used to take my daughter swimming, and there is a delicate moment when a child becomes aware of the niceties of social conformity and decides to go alone to the 'appropriate' room. And just to end the controversy, it is the delicate sensitivity of the child that must be respected, and philosophers politicians, lawyers should all keep their damn noses out.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    NOt sure if this is a jokeCoben

If it's not a joking matter, then I object to it being the topic of a thread. Bathrooms are disgusting to begin with, but to include sex and children in the title seems to me to be plain :vomit: :shade: :vomit: .
  • Terrapin Station
    If you find yourself uncertain how much this applies to you, there is a simple 3-minute test:ernestm

Not much mystery to the way the questions are going to align with the results there!
  • Terrapin Station

I think it's mostly looked at as a combo of making concessions because:

(1) the kid has to go to the toilet
    (2) the kid is often uncomfortable going into a closed room with a bunch of adult strangers
    (3) if the kid is young enough they might need assistance
    (4) parents often tend to be a bit paranoid and overprotective about their kids
    (5) for a number of reasons it's often a situation where mom has to take the boy(s) with her or dad the girl(s)
    (6) some adults are (oddly in my opinion) uncomfortable with adults of the opposite sex being in the bathroom; they're usually less uncomfortable with kids of the opposite sex being in the bathroom.
  • Brett
    Sorry. To reassure you, it was a joke, intended to suggest that this is a silly trollish topic. I used to take my daughter swimming, and there is a delicate moment when a child becomes aware of the niceties of social conformity and decides to go alone to the 'appropriate' room. And just to end the controversy, it is the delicate sensitivity of the child that must be respected, and philosophers politicians, lawyers should all keep their damn noses out.unenlightened

:up:
  • S
    Adult woman taking son in men's room = inappropriate
    Adult man taking daughter women's room= inappropriate
    Mness

I wouldn't care. They're just taking their kid to use the toilet. If this poses a problem for other people, then I hope that these other people resolve whatever issues they have.
  • Artemis

I really think most people don't give a hoot and recognize the perfect normalcy of using whatever bathroom when you have small children.

The past week my family and I have been traveling. The baby hates being changed in strange environments, so it often becomes a two person job. Nobody cared. Also, our choice which bathroom to use depended often on availability and cleanliness. So if I was alone with the babe and the men's room was better, I went in there. Vice versa for my husband. Nobody ever cared. In fact, my husband got a lot of ladies congratulating him on being such a good daddy. I got a lot of men reminiscing about the days when their kids were so cute (apparently they lose that sometime in the teen years, lol).

Anyway, just my personal anecdotes here, but I assume in a world where most people end up having kids, it's just really not that big of a deal.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.