• YuZhonglu
    My argument:

A "fact" is just an opinion that a person is confident about. For example, the statement "it's a fact the Earth goes around the Sun" actually means "we're really really confident the Earth goes around the Sun."

However, before anyone jumps in and claims I'm a relativist moron, I also claim that some opinions are better and more useful than others. For example, While both of the following statements "the Earth goes around the Sun" and "the Sun goes aorund the Earth" are technical opinions, the first opinion is more useful for launching satellites and doing astronomy then the second. Just because all statements are opinions, does not mean all opinions are created equal.

Why am I posting this? Because I'm tired of people claiming "X is a fact.' The moment someone claims anything, they're just offering their opinion.

What are your thoughts?
  • BC
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. They are not entitled to their own facts."

Is "There Are No Facts. Only Opinions." a fact or an opinion?

A "fact" is information that is verified by experience; not just one person's informed experience, but everyone's informed experience. Opinions are judgements about facts.

The opinion that there are no facts, only opinions, is an invitation to chase rabbits (Alice In Wonderland) where there are no facts.
  • tim wood
    before anyone jumps in and claims I'm a relativist moron, I also claim that some opinions are better and more useful than others.YuZhonglu

Indeed some opinions are better than others, but that says nothing about facts; it speaks only to the relative value of opinions. You need to demonstrate that facts are opinions. Until you do, I'd like to be first: you're a relativist moron.

Make your case and I'll relieve you of your moron status. Keep in mind your path is steep. Your position is that there are no facts. Good luck! I'll be watching.
  • Frank Apisa
    My opinion is that there are facts...and that the tree you are barking up...

...is the wrong tree.
  • YuZhonglu

LOL. No. It's my opinion.
  • Terrapin Station

It's not a fact that it's your opinion?
  • YuZhonglu

Here's a short summary:

1. In order to establish a fact, you have to, you know, state it.
    2. But the moment you state it, you're expressing an opinion. Perhaps the Earth does circle the Sun, but the moment anyone claims it to be true, they're expressing an opinion.
  • YuZhonglu

It's my opinion that it's my opinion.
  • YuZhonglu
    [How do you edit previous posts?]

Main point: facts do not exist independent of humans. For example, if there are no humans, the Earth might still circle the sun. But without humans, there would be no "facts" regarding the Earth circling the Sun as there would be no one to think or state these "facts."
  • YuZhonglu
    I guess what I'm really going for is that there are no facts independent of human experience because the very definition of "fact" requires a person to define it.
  • ssu
    How is death just an opinion?
  • YuZhonglu
    It's not. But the moment you talk about it, it's an opinion.
  • christian2017

While there is something to what you are saying. Some opinions are so close to being 100% true most of the time that they are tested that you may as well call them facts.
  • ZhouBoTong
    Pain hurts.

It's not. But the moment you talk about it, it's an opinion.YuZhonglu

So death is a fact? And facts exist? But if we talk about them then it is just opinion? If we created 2 A.I. entities could they communicate facts? What would that communication looks like?
  • YuZhonglu
    Reality exists. Probably. Even if it doesn't, we may as well assume it does. I mean if a car is barreling down at me at 60 mph, I'm going to get out of the way.

But the moment a human talks about reality, they're just expressing their opinion. When they say "fact," what they mean is "an opinion I'm really confident about."

About AI, dunno. Still thinking about it, but it depends on how the AI was programmed.
  • Terrapin Station
    It's my opinion that it's my opinion.YuZhonglu

So it might not be your opinion?
  • YuZhonglu
    I'm pretty sure it is.
  • Frank Apisa
    Question:

You been smoking powerful shit?
  • Artemis
    But the moment a human talks about reality, they're just expressing their opinion. When they say "fact," what they mean is "an opinion I'm really confident about."YuZhonglu

Oh, so if I just think to myself "absolute relativism is wrong" then it's a fact as long as I keep my mouth shut about it?

Yeah, okay, I'm definitely not saying that (out loud).
  • YuZhonglu
    No, because the moment you think about it you're stating it to yourself.
  • YuZhonglu

No I'm pretty sure it is my opinion. I don't understand your line of questioning. What's your point?
  • YuZhonglu
    No, I'm fairly confident in my opinion that all facts are just strongly held opinions.
  • Artemis
    No, I'm fairly confident in my opinion that all facts are just strongly held opinionsYuZhonglu

Is that a fact?
  • Artemis

Is it a fact that you have opinions?
  • Terrapin Station
    I'm pretty sure it is.YuZhonglu

Is there a way we could know?
  • whollyrolling
    This is precisely the mode of thought that has polarized the political climate and stunted the education system in the West. Allow me to explain the difference: an opinion is something you're entitled to, a fact is not.
  • TogetherTurtle
    A "fact" is just an opinion that a person is confident about. For example, the statement "it's a fact the Earth goes around the Sun" actually means "we're really really confident the Earth goes around the Sun."YuZhonglu

Why am I posting this? Because I'm tired of people claiming "X is a fact.' The moment someone claims anything, they're just offering their opinion.YuZhonglu

But you just defined what a fact is. Have you defined the non-existent? How can a fact not exist when a fact is an opinion verified by experience? Those criteria are met for claims all the time.

Surely this implies that facts are not as set in stone as most people take them to be, but I'm sure everyone around here knows how fragile our theories can be. Even if facts are only slightly more powerful than opinions, facts do carry the burden of proof.
  • Isaac
    Allow me to explain the difference: an opinion is something you're entitled to, a fact is not.whollyrolling

No one asked what the definitions of the two classes were. The claim is that one class is empty.
  • S
    No one asked what the definitions of the two classes were. The claim is that one class is empty.Isaac

Except that it isn't. If it wasn't a fact that you submitted that comment, then it would be impossible for me to reply to it. But I'm replying to it now, so it's a fact that you submitted it.
  • YuZhonglu
    Obviously, we need a definition of "fact."

Here's mine. In order for a concept to be a "fact", it has to have at least two properties:

1. Permanence. For example, if you believe it's a fact that the Earth goes around the Sun, you can't just willy nilly believe the opposite the next day. Similarly, if you accept that "X is a fact" you're assuming that people in the future will also accept that "X is a fact."

2. All "facts" are statements.

My position is that these two properties are in contradiction with one another. Consequently, there is no such thing as facts.
  • YuZhonglu

Yes, you have a very strongly held opinion that you're replying to what I submitted.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment