• YuZhonglu

It is a strongly held opinion of mine that I have opinions.
  • S
    Yes, you have a very strongly held opinion that you're replying to what I submitted.YuZhonglu

No, you need to actually attempt to refute my argument, not just repeat your assertion.
  • whollyrolling

I didn't give a definition. What I offered is more an illustration of how they function in practice. The OP asserted a Divine Truth as to what the two, "classes" as you call them, were; so you're right, no one asked, but someone dictated. I'm responding to that dictation. The claim is not that one "class" is empty but that both are empty-on-demand by virtue of subjective reality.
  • YuZhonglu
    What whollyrolling is saying. Kinda.

I'm claiming that the "class" of "facts"- as the average person would think of it- is empty because the properties of the class contradict itself.
  • whollyrolling

That's not even in the same universe with what I expressed here.
  • YuZhonglu
    To be frank, I didn't really understand what you just said. But at least you're talking about "properties of classes," and that's a good sign.
  • YuZhonglu
    Let me try and clarify more:

1. People establish their "facts" from experience.
    2. They assume these "facts" are permanent (which is why they call them "facts"). E.g. statements like "you're entitled to your opinions, not your 'facts'.

This is a contradiction. If facts come from experience, then they cannot be permanent because people in the future will have very different experiences.

Hence my claim that all facts are just strongly held opinions.
  • Artemis

Is it a fact that you strongly believe you have opinions?
  • christian2017

yeah thats very often the case that needs to be considered by everybody when making a judgement on a situation. I'm not sure the concept of fact should be thrown out by greater society.
  • YuZhonglu

I've given a partial definition of "fact." Give me your definition and I'll answer your question.
  • S
    Is this just trivial semantics, or does anyone have a serious refutation of my argument?
  • YuZhonglu

Not all opinions are created equal.
  • YuZhonglu

What argument? Give me your definition of "fact" and we can talk about it.
  • Artemis
    I've given a partial definition of "fact." Give me your definition and I'll answer your question.YuZhonglu

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth-correspondence/
  • christian2017
    Not all opinions are created equal.YuZhonglu

Definitely. Now we get into an argument with some who decides whos is greater but i hope not today.
  • YuZhonglu

Condense it into something understandable. I know that website and it's virtually unreadable.
  • S
    What argument? Give me your definition of "fact" and we can talk about it.YuZhonglu

My reductio ad absurdum. It's hard to miss.

A fact is something that's the case. It corresponds to a true statement. It's a fact that you submitted the comment I quoted above. The statement, "You submitted the comment I quoted above", is true.

Do you have a serious argument against this, or just trivial semantics?
  • YuZhonglu
    Here's my take:

1. I submitted a comment above.
    2. This comment showed up on your screen.
    3. Your eyes read the statement. Your brain interpreted it.
    4. You're not schizophrenic. Consequently, your brain trusts itself.
    5. Your brain is certain that it's a "fact" that I submitted a comment.

Hence: all facts are strongly held opinions. You have a very strongly held opinion that I submitted a comment, which you call a "fact."
  • YuZhonglu
    As a matter of opinion, I strongly believe that I submitted a comment, too. But again, I only know this because my brain trusts itself.
  • Artemis
    Condense it into something understandable. I know that website and it's virtually unreadable.YuZhonglu

It's just your opinion that it's unreadable.

It's MY opinion that if you can look at such an accurate website and get a general idea of what's being said, then you have no idea what you're talking about here.
  • YuZhonglu
    Fair enough: then provide a definition that I can understand because obviously, your brain is superior to mine.
  • S
    1. I submitted a comment above.YuZhonglu

That's a tacit acknowledgment of a fact. It's all I need for my argument to work. Nothing else you say even matters.
  • Artemis

You need to reference the person you're responding to in posts here or it gets confusing. In my opinion.
  • Terrapin Station

In my view, the vast majority of facts have nothing to do with experience, and facts are not permanent.
  • YuZhonglu

Ah. Then what's your definition of "fact?"
  • YuZhonglu

What's your definition of "fact?" I define it as a strongly held opinion, a feeling of certainty towards a belief.
  • YuZhonglu

Alright.

[Is there a way to edit your previous posts?]
  • Artemis

The three dots under the post you want to edit and then the pencil. (In my opinion :P)
  • Terrapin Station

Facts are states of affairs, ways that the world happens to be (at a given moment, from a particular reference point).
  • YuZhonglu

The only options are "flag, share, quote."
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube