• Shawn
    “I want you to realize that when I speak of a fact I do not mean a particular
    existing thing, such as Socrates or the rain or the sun. Socrates himself does not
    render any statement true or false. What I call a fact is the sort of thing that
    is expressed by a whole sentence, not by a single name like ‘Socrates.’ . . .We
    express a fact, for example, when we say that a certain thing has a certain
    property, or that it has a certain relation to another thing; but the thing which
    has the property or the relation is not what I call a ‘fact.”’

If the essence of the first proposition of the Tractatus is of relations between objects, further describable (which already is a contested issue) as facts, then what does Russell mean by these relations?
  • Wheatley
    “I want you to realize that when I speak of a fact I do not mean a particular
    existing thing, such as Socrates or the rain or the sun. Socrates himself does not
    render any statement true or false. What I call a fact is the sort of thing that
    is expressed by a whole sentence, not by a single name like ‘Socrates.’ . . .We
    property, or that it has a certain relation to another thing; but the thing which
    has the property or the relation is not what I call a ‘fact.”’ Citation

If the essence of the first proposition of the Tractatus is of relations between objects, further describable (which already is a contested issue) as facts, then what does Russell mean by these relations?
    Shawn
    B1: Who's said this?

B2: Who's the author of the Tractatus?

B3: Do you mean Bertrand Russel?
  • magritte
    We
    property, or that it has a certain relation to another thing
    Shawn

Do you agree that facts are what we say about a certain property or a certain relation?
  • Banno
    Well, no.

A fact is what we say, when what we say is true. If it ain't true, it ain't a fact.
  • magritte
    So then by
    when I speak of a fact I do not mean a particular existing thingShawn
    W specifically means himself only by "I" because facts are truths?
  • Banno
    Lets first get clear that the long quote is from Russell's Logical Atomism and the aphorism is the first line of Wittgenstein's Tractatus.

W specifically means himself only by "I" because facts are truths?magritte

Presumably you meant Russell? He is simply setting out how he intends to use the word "fact".

You don't think truths are somehow private, do you?
  • magritte
    For the moment, your truths are my truths. I'm willing to go along with whatever might help me disentangle my confusion.

He is simply setting out how he intends to use the word "fact".Banno

Is he then replacing the usual real objects with whatever facts about those objects he postulates to be true or must others (everyone?) also agree that his facts are true? How far out on a limb must he climb?
  • Shawn
    Do you agree that facts are what we say about a certain property or a certain relation?magritte

Yes, I think so.
  • Banno

The Moon is not a fact.

That the Moon orbits the Earth is a fact.

That "The Moon orbits the Earth" is true is also a fact.

Oddly, that the moon orbits the Earth, and that "The Moon orbits the Earth" is true, are each going to be true only if the other is also true. They are equivalent.

Also note, that the Moon orbits the Earth is true regardless of what Russell or Magritte think or say.
  • Shawn

Relations are usually causal and evident. The fact that the moon orbits the Earth is governed by the fact that the laws of physics determine it being so. Not, yet ready to talk about logical space, just yet.
  • magritte

Scientific facts would work because they are grounded in current physics. Is that enough?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.