• Wheatley
    You probably shouldn't let us in on that... :eyes:Baden
    Oh, crap. I promise to but more effort into my OP's from now on, and stick to the guidelines.
    :fear:
  • Amity
    Even if the arguments are not your own, you should still describe at least some of the ideas surrounding the topic in some detail. We normally delete short OPs based on questions alone as it suggests the OP writer hasn't thought much about the issue and will hardly be able to contribute much less lead the conversation.Baden

Indeed. That is why I would prefer someone else to start the thread. I like the idea of starting with your quote but I think that someone with greater knowledge and experience should lead it.
    Baden, I know you are too busy. However, would you have anyone else in mind ? Earlier you mentioned unenlightened...
  • Amity
    You probably shouldn't let us in on that... :eyes:
    — Baden
    Oh, crap. I promise to but more effort into my OP's from now on, and stick to the guidelines.
    :fear:
    Purple Pond

Hah ! That'll learn ya :snicker:
  • Wheatley
    Yeah, I probably should learn to keep my mouth shut. :chin:
  • Amity
    Yeah, I probably should learn to keep my mouth shut. :chin:Purple Pond

Nah, where would be the joy and happiness in learning if all we did was right ?
    :wink:
  • Baden
    I promise to put more effort into my OP's from now on, and stick to the guidelines.Purple Pond

Cheers, PP. Appreciate that. :up:

Baden, I know you are too busy. However, would you have anyone else in mind ? Earlier you mentioned unenlightened...Amity

I hesitate to mention anyone tbh, but would rather they put their own head above the parapet. Still think it's a good idea though and that there are plenty of posters around who could make valuable contributions, including un.
  • Wheatley
    Point taken. Can we go back to the heart of the discussion now?

Indeed. That is why I would prefer someone else to start the thread. I like the idea of starting with your quote but I think that someone with greater knowledge and experience should lead it.Amity
    Maybe you can be a little less lazy and do research? No pressure. Perhaps a good starting point would be to learn what other philosophers have said about happiness. Then you might have more confidence to create your own discussion.
  • Wheatley
    For what's it's worth, here's a philosophical encyclopedia entry on happiness.
  • Amity
    Maybe you can be a little less lazy and do research? No pressure. Perhaps a good starting point would be to learn what other philosophers have said about happiness. Then you might have more confidence to create your own discussion.Purple Pond

Yes. You are right. I am lazy.
    So, sue me :roll:
  • Wheatley
    :lol: Indeed, perhaps this discussion can be re-titled as 'The Laziness Thread'. Have an idea, but too lazy to write it out, and start a new discussion? You have come to the right place! Blah blah blah.
  • Amity
    Indeed, perhaps this discussion can be re-titled as 'The Laziness Thread'. Have an idea, but too lazy to write it out, and start a new discussion? You have come to the right place! Blah blah blah.Purple Pond

Aw, don't give up on your good idea so soon. After all:

All you have to do is present your idea for discussion, and hopefully someone else will take up the challenge and create a good discussion.

I'll start, and this will serve as a template of how a type discussion could be requested:

I would like to see a discussion with the title: What is love?
    Purple Pond

You wanted someone else to run with your idea; take up the challenge and create a good discussion ?

What is it Elvis sang ?

Don't procrastinate, don't articulate 
    Girl, it's getting late, gettin' upset waitin' around 
    A little less conversation, a little more action, please 
    All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me…

Just do it.
    Or not.
    No pressure...
    :love:
  • Wheatley
    Aw, don't give up on your good idea so soon.Amity
    Who's said I've given up? I never give up. :cool:

You wanted someone else to run with your idea; take up the challenge and create a good discussion ?Amity
    Yeah, except that they can't do it, too busy, or are uninterested.

What is it Elvis sang ?

Don't procrastinate, don't articulate 
    Girl, it's getting late, gettin' upset waitin' around 
    A little less conversation, a little more action, please 
    All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me…
    Amity
    Apparently not everyone who listens to Elvis does what he says. *cough*

Just do it.
    Or not.
    No pressure...
    Amity
    Maybe you practice what you preach? Or more accurately, what Elvis preaches. :razz:
  • Amity
    Maybe you practice what you preach?Purple Pond

Funny. That was my message to you.
    Look back at your earlier suggestions to me, and then take them on board for your own topic/thread.
    Or not.

Peace out.
  • Amity
    You wanted someone else to run with your idea; take up the challenge and create a good discussion ?
    — Amity
    Yeah, except that they can't do, too busy, or are uninterested.
    Purple Pond

So it wasn't a case of you being too lazy to do it for yourself, or to do the research...as per your accusatory reaction to me when I stated my preference.
    Never mind.
  • Wheatley
    Funny. That was my message to you.
    Look back at your earlier suggestions to me, and then take them on board for your own topic/thread.
    Or not.
    Amity
    I never intended to preach anything to you. I only gave suggestions.

So it wasn't a case of you being too lazy to do it for yourself, or to do the research...as per your accusatory reaction to me when I stated my preference.
    Never mind.
    Amity
    Look, I'm sorry about calling you lazy. I shouldn't have. It looks like now you're resenting me. Oh, well.
  • Amity
    Look, I'm sorry about calling you lazy. I shouldn't have. It looks like now you're resenting me. Oh, well.Purple Pond

See now you're flirting with me :kiss:
  • Wheatley
    Don't get any ideas. I only flirt with females. :broken:
  • Amity
    Don't get any ideas. I only flirt with females. :broken:Purple Pond

There ya go with your ass umptions again.
    Good night.

:yawn:
  • Wheatley
    There ya go with your ass umptions again.
    Good night.
    Amity
    My apologize, once again. A female here on this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack. Dear lady, please accept these :flower:
    Good night.
  • Sir2u
    You're conflating pleasure with happiness.Baden

That is one point of view, but I am not mixing them up. It is more of a cause and effect thing. Isn't pleasure a source of happiness?

Pleasure;
    A fundamental feeling that is hard to define but that people desire to experience
    Something or someone that provides a source of happiness

I don't remember who, but someone once said something along the lines of happiness being a larger part of pleasure and a smaller part of pain. Or something like that. It was so long ago that I did any serious reading.
  • S
    What do others think?Amity

Meh. I think I already know what happiness is, so I don't need other people telling me what they think it is. I don't even need to put it into words, least of all fancy-shmancy words.
  • Sir2u
    Meh. I think I already know what happiness is, so I don't need other people telling me what they think it is. I don't even need to put it into words, least of all fancy-shmancy words.S

I know you don't need to do it, but you could at least put it into plain, ordinary, simple words so that the rest of us might have an idea what you think.
  • Wheatley
    I don't think @S likes your question: What is happiness? He even created a whole discussion about his dislike of such questions. https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/3231/the-charade/p1
  • Sir2u
    He/she/it does not like any of my questions.

And he never answers them either.

Not that I give a rat's ass about it anyway.
  • Sir2u
    Did you read the thread? That was a lot of fun. :cool:
  • Wheatley
    I don't like to read old threads. It's kind of like old news.
  • S
    I don't think S likes your question: What is happiness? He even created a whole discussion about his dislike of such questions. https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/3231/the-charade/p1Purple Pond

Yeah. The easiest way to answer those kind of questions is to consult a dictionary or an encyclopaedia. My meaning rarely conflicts or differs drastically with what can be found there.
  • Amity
    I don't think S likes your question: What is happiness? He even created a whole discussion about his dislike of such questions. https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/3231/the-charade/p1
    — Purple Pond

Yeah. The easiest way to answer those kind of questions is to consult a dictionary or an encyclopaedia. My meaning rarely conflicts or differs drastically with what can be found there.
    S

Of course you know why that is, don't you ?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-does-a-word-get-into-the-dictionary

Dictionaries or encyclopedias are useful as a first point for clarification. Often you find more meanings than you first thought. A definition which mirrors your intended meaning in a discussion is a great way to lessen any misunderstandings.

What is wonderful about our thinking and language is that it can change. It is not static.
    New words like 'meme' or - Daniel Dennett's 'deepity'.

And sometimes that is what philosophy is too good at. With some making up their own words for same meaning. It can be a bit of a pain in the neck...
  • Amity
    What do others think?
    — Amity

Meh. I think I already know what happiness is, so I don't need other people telling me what they think it is. I don't even need to put it into words, least of all fancy-shmancy words.
    S

I think you protest too much. I think you admire Baden's definition of Happiness in a sentence.
    I think you would love the chance to get right in there and rip it up.
    But I could be wrong :wink:
  • Amity
    My apologize, once again. A female here on this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack. Dear lady, please accept these :flower:
    Good night.
    Purple Pond

:flower: return to sender
    The ratio of females to males is irrelevant.
    On a forum, what matters is how you think and write. What ideas or problems are worth taking your time over. Stuff like that. Not making wrong assumptions is a good start.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.