• Wheatley
    What type discussions would you like to see in the future? Have something in mind you really want to discuss but you can't figure out how to lay out the OP? You've come to the right place! All you have to do is present your idea for discussion, and hopefully someone else will take up the challenge and create a good discussion.

I'll start, and this will serve as a template of how a type discussion could be requested:

I would like to see a discussion with the title: What is love?

Your turn.
  • S
    Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.
  • Sir2u
    I would like to see a discussion with the title: How to silence those nagging voices that you hear in your head.

No, sorry. I just figured out that the noises are not in my head. I was reading S's posts.

Seriously though, what would be nice is a topic about making people happy.
  • Wheatley
    Please guys, take your fight back to the shoutbox where it belongs. This was supposed to be serious thread. Don't ruin it.
  • Wheatley
    Seriously though, what would be nice is a topic about making people happy.Sir2u
    How would you make that philosophical? Or is it a lounge type of thread?
  • Baden

I moved some of the comments to the Shoutbox to keep us more on topic here. I can't guarantee the discussion will be taken seriously though. It's one of those that could go either way.
  • Wheatley
    I moved some of the comments to the Shoutbox to keep us more on topic here.Baden
    Thank you!

I can't guarantee the discussion will be taken seriously though. It's one of those that could go either way.Baden
    It's the lounge, and it's okay if it's not a hundred percent serious. :up:
  • Sir2u
    How would you make that philosophical?Purple Pond

Would you like to define happiness and then explain how to make people feel like that? But we could also look at the lighter side of it.
  • Wheatley
    Would you like to define happiness and then explain how to make people feel like that? But we could also look at the lighter side of it.Sir2u
    Good idea. Any experts on happiness on this forum? Feel free to mention (@) anyone you have in mind. Definitely not @Wallows. :lol:
  • Wheatley

[Draft 1] Happiness is a the mixture of positive emotions that include liveliness, euphoria, and satisfaction, and is mostly ineffable. It's what people experience at marriage and the birth of their first child. A kid feels happy at the water park. An adult is happy at the sight of her paycheck. What makes one person happy can put one person down, and happiness at expense of another is actually rather sad.

You ask what can we do to make people happy? Surely not something extremely contagious? Yes indeed, and that is smiling. [/Draft 1]

Thoughts? Would you like to add or change anything? Scrap it?
  • Sir2u
    ineffablePurple Pond

Well that sort of puts the dampers on things.

What makes one person happy can put one person downPurple Pond

Like spanking maybe?

Yes indeed, and that is smiling.Purple Pond

Do you really think that walking around smiling at people would make them happy? I know some people that I don't want smiling at me.
  • Sir2u
    Don't pay any attention to him. Tell us what you think, it might just make you happier. :wink:
  • Wheatley

I'm sorry Wallows, it was a joke. I didn't mean to offend.
  • Wheatley
    Well that sort of puts the dampers on things.Sir2u
    It is sort of ineffable. But okay, I'll leave it out.

Like spanking maybe?Sir2u
    Like critiquing someone's ideas without offering any ideas of their own.

Do you really think that walking around smiling at people would make them happy? I know some people that I don't want smiling at me.Sir2u
    So you don't think smiling helps? I'm not saying you should smile at everyone, only when it is appropriate.
  • S
    It's the lounge, and it's okay if it's not a hundred percent serious. :up:Purple Pond

99% silly, 1% serious?

Like critiquing someone's ideas without offering any ideas of their own.Purple Pond

I often see this criticism, but it seems kind of sensible to me to clear the area before construction. Once we know what doesn't work, then we can progress more effectively, and build from a stronger foundation. You guys can provide the structures, and I'll test their hardiness, keeping a record of strengths and weaknesses. Then when I build my structure, I'll apply what I've learnt. My eventual success will arise as a result of your work. Keep it up!
  • S
    So you don't think smiling helps? I'm not saying you should smile at everyone, only when it is appropriate.Purple Pond

But it's funny to smile at people when it's inappropriate, and you should always do what's funny, even if it gets you in trouble.

@Sir2u :grin:

On a related note, I almost got myself beaten up by some guys last night because I thought that it would be funny to push a random button on the fruit machine they were playing as I walked by.
  • Wheatley
    99% silly, 1% serious?S
    I was hoping for a more balanced approach.

I often see this criticism, but it seems kind of sensible to me to clear the area before construction. Once we know what doesn't work, then we can progress more effectively, and build from a stronger foundation. You guys can provide the structures, and I'll test their hardiness, keeping a record of strengths and weaknesses. Then when I build my structure, I'll apply what I've learnt. My eventual success will arise as a result of your work. Keep it up!S
    Best of luck to you! Indeed that's what this thread is about, taking other people's ideas and building upon it, and then presenting them as your own. That's kinda what I had in mind when I created my OP.
  • Wheatley
    On a related note, I almost got myself beaten up by some guys last night because I thought that it would be funny to push a random button on the fruit machine they were playing as I walked by.S
    :grin:
  • S
    I see. I will give it a go.

How about a discussion with the title, "What is love?"?
  • Wheatley
    Hold your horses! We're still working on the happiness discussion. I mean, with so few people visiting the lounge we are kind of "understaffed" here.
  • S
    Hold your horses! We're still working on the happiness discussion. I mean, with so few people visiting the lounge we are kind of "understaffed" here.Purple Pond

That's an easy one. Happiness is the feeling you get when you trample over other people's ideas.
  • Wheatley
    Too short. Baden will close the discussion as an example of how not to write an OP.
  • S
    Too short. Baden will close the discussion as an example of how not to write an OP.Purple Pond

I guess that's why I don't write that many of them. I'm not much of a fan of filling up an opening post with too much stuff that doesn't need to be said.

Anyway, he wouldn't dare try that shit with me, because he thinks that I'm holding his mother hostage. But what he doesn't know is that I've already killed her and dumped the body.
  • Baden

I'd rather you'd done my father in, but whatever. Buy me a beer and we'll call it quits.
  • S
    I'd rather you'd done my father in, but whatever.Baden

Then who would I have to talk to about how much of a disappointment you are?

Buy me a beer and we'll call it quits.Baden

Good idea. I'll buy me a beer and we'll call it quits.
  • Wheatley
    I guess that's why I don't write that many of them. I'm not much of a fan of filling up an opening post with too much stuff that doesn't need to be said.S

How to Stretch Your 1 Page Essay to Fill 5 Pages
  • Baden
    @Purple Pond
    Happiness: Something like the proper mixture of sensitivity, creativity and strength achieved through habit and self-reflection; a self-sustaining stability of not-wanting rather than the result of procuring something wanted; the satisfaction that comes with focusing outwards on a regular basis while recognizing choice and freedom in each moment in the context of a healthy and active imagination; originality in identity and character in a way that fosters same in others; consistent quality in thought and action.

A promising topic imo.
  • Wheatley
    That really deep. Any suggestions about how I would add or modify the material you present here feels inadequate compared to the mastery and sophisticated use of language you've provided. :100:

(Jeez, I sound like an English teacher now!)

@S @Sir2u What do you think?
  • Baden

That's my two cents spent for now. Maybe @unenlightened will have something to add?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.