• intrapersona
    Has anyone heard of this happening? I would be all for it as the exchanges would be take a shorter amount of time albeit with less integration and understanding as written text.
  • bassplayer
    But then everyone would see my body language and what an ugly old git I am. :)
  • intrapersona

lol, not necessarily. You can do skype voice call. This would be a great marketing technique for this forum actually, an option for CHAT messenger or VOICE messenger up the top.
  • Hanover
    I'm in favor of this, but I think we should dictate that the American standard accent be used for all communications so as to not be required to endure the various pompous yet uneducated European accents some are burdened with.
  • Michael
    Which American accent?
  • Hanover
    The standard accent, the one I speak.
  • BC
    Atlantans don't speak General American English. You have to be from the west or the midlands to claim that you speak properly. Hollywood and Dallas, basically. Normally one wouldn't find Hollywood and Dallas in the same sentence, but here it is appropriate.

How do you say "Toronto" for instance? (Canadians don't know how to speak English, either. They say "Torono" -- obviously WRONG. For your average Canadian, "can" and "can't" are pronounced the same way. I don't know how they even became a country. Very strange.) God only knows how they talk down in places like Atlanta and Dothan, Alabama.
  • Wosret
    Newfoundlanders and the French are really the only accents in Canada. I worked with a Newfie once, and I asked him what my accent sounded like, but he said that most other people don't really have accents, they just sound really clear, like people on tv. There are subtle things, people sometimes pick out that I'm from the east coast, but I don't notice any difference in accent out west, people do talk differently, but don't really sound differently, I don't think.
  • Wosret
    Funnily enough also, my understanding is that when teaching English as a second language abroad, American English is preferred, and Canadians get a pass!
  • BC
    According to the article I read on General American English, it includes most of Canada. When I listen to As It Happens (news show) they sound like most announcers in North America and so do most of the people they interview.
  • Wosret

Yeah, that's my perception as well. Besides like Boston, Southern, and such accents, most Americans don't sound like they have any accents to me (or, just sound the same as pretty much everyone else in north america).
  • Hanover
    The greater the isolation, the more variation from the general population. Atlanta accents are usually not terribly different from what you hear on tv, but Macon, Ga accents are. However, even the most worldly have hints of where they're from. Trump sounds like a New Yorker, but not a working class guy from Brooklyn. Hillary, however, has no hint of Arkansas that I can detect. Wosret has no idea what he's talking u-boat when he says Canadians are accent free though.

The "r" pronunciation gives much away. Think the word "car" for example. The mid west r is very hard (carrr), the plantation south r is silent (cah) as is the New England r (caa). The British r is close to the plantation south. The Appalachian south r is harder, although pronounced with a twang (core). Standard English is a lighter r (car). The Scots roll their rs because they're usually drunk.

My cat speaks very proper and controlled, being an aristocat, unlike the alley cats, who purr with such abandon you'd think they were in a drunken orgy.
  • mcdoodle
    I suggest all our voices are channelled through a Stephen Hawking machine, to avoid the melancholy end of the forum we would otherwise precipitate when hearing Hanover's voice and immediately recognising that the truth is out there and all our foolish accented ramblings are in vain
  • Jamal
    The British r is close to the plantation south.Hanover

Not in Scotland or South West England.
  • Hanover
    I did point out the Scottish r distinction, but wasn't aware of SW England. How long Scotland will be British is another question.
  • Jamal
    wasn't aware of SW EnglandHanover

Think of the pirates' accent in movies: Arrr! Why pirates must speak with a West Country accent, I'm not sure.
  • bassplayer

I say old chap, that's rather below the belt and just not cricket.

I reckon it would be quite entertaining to discuss phylosophy over a video conferencing system but use nothing but body language. A bit like playing charades.

I'm sure the answer to life and everything will remain intact (i.e. to have fun nicely).
  • _db
    Ugh, no, if we did that, then we would all see who each other really are and would have to actually be considerate and respectful. This is the internet, goddammit, I didn't come here for manners and pleasantries! On with the anonymous ego-trips!
  • BC
    wasn't aware of SW EnglandHanover

I would suspect many people were not aware of the SW corner of LB (Less Britain). And, really, why bother getting familiar at this point? Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland will be leaving before long, as well they should, and maybe the terra uncognito of SW England too. Merry Olde Great Britain kind of flushed itself down the loo with Brexit.
  • S
    Real life? Ugh, no thanks. People might discover that I'm not really an owl.
  • Hanover
    What I'd propose is that we all plan to meet up one day at a central location, somewhere that might have the largest international airport in the world so that it would be accessible to everyone. Coincidentally that would be Hartsfield Jackson airport here in Atlanta. Let me know when you guys will be in town. I have a king sized bed, so I can fit 2, maybe 3. It's not weird as long as you sleep face to face like I insist.
  • Baden
    I have a king sized bed, so I can fit 2, maybe 3. It's not weird as long as you sleep face to face like I insist.Hanover

How do 3 people sleep face to face??...Oh... :-O
  • bassplayer
    Oops...sorry, I think I've got the wrong forum...
  • Hanover
    How do 3 people sleep face to face??...Oh... :-OBaden

Alright, I sleep on my right shoulder, you on your left shoulder, and Banno face down on top of us with his face wedged in with all three of our noses touching. Please don't put your lips on mine. That would be soooooo gay.
  • S
    Alright, I sleep on my right shoulder, you on your left shoulder, and Banno face down on top of us with his face wedged in with all three of our noses touching. Please don't put your lips on mine. That would be soooooo gay.Hanover

Where shall I sleep? Do you have somewhere I can perch? Something long and hard that I can wrap my talons around?
  • Pneumenon
    Something long and hard that I can wrap my talons around?Sapientia

I have a tree branch you can use. By which I mean MY PENIS.
  • mcdoodle
    I hope it will be of interest to link to this debate about Explanation, including one of my favourite philosophers Nancy Cartwright, plus philosopher of science James Ladyman and a slightly wacky meteorologist.

IAI video about explanation
  • Robert Lockhart
    Well, Socrates of course set numerous precedents for thinkers but, in my experience anyway, the example of his which many philosophers most eagerly seem to have sought to imitate within themselves is that of unprepossessing appearance! (On the positive side though - that's maybe a symptom of their contempt for worldly vanity!) Either way, that reputation - together with the one for unintelligibility that goes before my own Scottish accent (undeservedly) - makes me kinda reticent about the whole idea of witnessing each other in the flesh...or whatever!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.