• BC
    GM (Standard Oil, Firestone Rubber, et al) at least a rational business plan: get rid of the mass transit systems and sell more cars. I don't approve, mind you, but at least there was a plan. Plus they weren't (presumably) laundering money -- they were syphoning it off.
  • Wosret
    They were probably Russian spies and those were just their secret identities while they infiltrated the CIA, but now they're done.
  • Wayfarer
    when it's a choice between a cockup and a conspiracy, it's always a cockup in my experience. That's what I think we're seeing here.
  • Benkei
    Is there any way of downloading the website? As an archive PF already has a ton of value to me.
  • Wayfarer
    you can download your own posts as threads. There's a command in there somewhere which still works.
  • Mongrel
    It may have been aliens.
  • Benkei
    Thanks but I was thinking about the entire website. If google can cache stuff, there should be some way to download it completely right? Or at least, that's what I was thinking.
  • Wayfarer
    Oh, hadn't thought of that. Don't know!
  • Benkei

That! Thank you. I wonder how big PF is though... before I run out of diskspace. But at least this way, current PF will be saved for posterity. For the time being I don't believe much in the way of quality will be added and I'd rather have an archive before they completely pull the plug.
  • Hanover
    Speaking on behalf of all of those of us who left at the time of the initial PF takeover:

I told you so.

I so love these moments.
  • Michael
    I know that @Benkei won't download the Philosophy of Religion forum.

;) @ Benkei.
  • Benkei
    ↪Πετροκότσυφας I know that Benkei won't download the Philosophy of Religion forum.Michael

Wrong. I WILL download it, only to have the satisfaction to then delete it! >:)
  • Michael
    No, gotta strikethrough it all and add in corrective red text "I'm a moron".
  • discoii
    What's going on? Why is Hanover stroking all our cocks?
  • Baden
    Excuse me for a second while I recover from the metaphor...

Anyway, as a cursory look through the thread should reveal, old PF seems to have been abandoned by Porat and co.
  • discoii
    Bunch of rich idiots. Nothing to see here. Anyone who calls them self an #Entrepreneur is probably an idiot.
  • Michael
    Huh. Using a # creates a search link. #Awesome.
  • Jamal
    Yeah it's a tag search. I haven't tagged anything so far, but it could come in handy. For example, if you write something about site functionality and it's not in the usual category, you could tag it so you or others can search for tips on how to use the site. #tips

Edit: Seems to take 10 or so seconds to appear in the results.
  • Baden
    Edit: Seems to take 10 or so seconds to appear in the results.jamalrob

Worked pretty much automatically for me.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    think that at a point Paul asked from some members to keep back ups of monthly (?) data and they were a few gb. But I might be mistaken.Πετροκότσυφας

You are correct in that jorndoe and I were making back ups every other week but my download time was too weak to support the back up and I am thinking jorn was able to get a few back ups but I am not sure to what degree and where they are now, if they do exist.
  • Hanover
    Stroking cocks? At least accuse me of oral and not just a lowly hand shandy.
  • discoii
    But I was enjoying it.
  • discoii
    Oh, I was just using it ironically, but cool, there is a tag functionality here. Better stop using it ironically.
  • John Kernan
    I had been away from the PF for a month and when I returned yesterday, I found it to be in the final stages of rigor mortis! It had a sad lonely appearance of a forum in decline.
  • Pierre-Normand
    I had been away from the PF for a month and when I returned yesterday, I found it to be in the final stages of rigor mortis! It had a sad lonely appearance of a forum in decline.John Kernan

Yes, the old PF seems to have been suffering from bugs and lack of maintenance lately. But the "PF" mentioned in the title of this thread is this forum rather than the old one. It is arguably doing better now than it was when the OP was posted.
  • ssu
    Had basically a summer vacation from PF (and here) and it's very sad to see a dead site over there.

What I am really sad about is the math & logic forum. There were members that really helped me to understand mathematics better, but they weren't active anywhere else and aren't present here.
  • aequilibrium
    Has that other place officially died? Not that I wanted to go back there or anything, but I just went over to see how it was doing and it says I don't have permission to view any threads. Does it say this for everyone else?
  • Michael
    Yep. It's proper broke.
  • VagabondSpectre
    It's well fucked guys. Tits up. IT'S A GONER!

If anyone has content they put a lot of work into on the old forum, what you can do to try and recover it for saving or for re-posting is to log into your account and visit the "options" page, which should give you a list of the threads you have started. You can hover over the title of the thread in order to get an excerpt from the beginning and use this and the title of the thread in a google search to find the direct google search result. At this point, you can click the little green down arrow at the end of the URL text and select "cached" version in order to actually view the first page of a thread.

Another method you can try is to use "the way back machine" and paste in the actual URL of individual threads and there's a chance that (if it is old enough) it will be saved there in perpetuity.

Basically it looks like the forum is in it's final death throes. No content from it is accessible directly from the website any longer. If you have any writing you want to save, now is the time to search for it. (google caches do not last forever)
  • Agustino
    That's what happens when the owners are incapable and stupid.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.