• Michael
    I don't work in a cubicle. Therefore your response is refuted.
  • praxis
    Tell that to the #MeToo movement, which is what praxis was referring to.Michael

You have to admit the thought of a hetero dude on the #MeToo list is a bit funny.
  • Michael
    You have to admit the thought of a hetero dude on the #MeToo list is a bit funny.praxis

No, I don't think it is. Straight men can be victims of assault to, and it's not something to laugh about.
  • Hanover
    Straight men can be victims of assault to, and it's not something to laugh about.Michael

Jelly.
  • Hanover
    Obviously actual assault isn't funny. Actual.
  • Michael
    Which is why I don't find "the thought of a hetero dude on the #MeToo list ... a bit funny."
  • praxis

Yeah, well, you just have to be careful and not drop the soap.
  • BC
    But sexual advances, wanted and unwanted, are an ordinary part of life and not in themselves bad, regrettable or traumatic.jamalrob

They are a part of life, and people with normal cognitive processing are able to distinguish between "a sexual advance", wanted or unwanted, and rape.

A feature of the #me2 movement is that they are unwilling to distinguish between a pat on a woman's derriere and rape. The former can not be worse than annoying, and has nothing in common with the latter. Similarly, verbal requests for sex are not the same as rape. By collapsing all undesired sexual suggestion, touching, innuendo, humor, and so on into "assault" along with forced sodomy and rape, and then "catastrophizing" a joke of which a woman might disapprove, #metoo has created a movement which will burn out on flimsy grievances.
  • praxis
    Hmmm, I stand corrected.

terry-crews.jpg

Some attempted groping at a party give this guy PTSD?

In this particular case, we should take into account the deep pockets and pending lawsuits, I think.
  • Michael
    A feature of the #me2 movement is that they are unwilling to distinguish between a pat on a woman's derriere and rape.Bitter Crank

Well this seems like a strawman. Saying that both are wrong isn't to be unwilling to draw a distinction.

"It's not rape, therefore it's OK" is obviously a non sequitur.
  • Benkei
    A feature of the #me2 movement is that they are unwilling to distinguish between a pat on a woman's derriere and rape. The former can not be worse than annoying, and has nothing in common with the latter.Bitter Crank

I doubt these me2-people are unable to tell the difference between rape and unwanted sexual advances. So I suspect you misunderstand the movement. One possible view is that both stem from the fact that society has for too long relegated women to second class citizens. Almost no one would think to slap a guy's ass (ok, ok, I'm telling the wrong guy now, but on average!)

It's not the slap that's the problem but the society that considers this acceptable. It shouldn't be. So it's all commentary on those social norms and the acts being an expression of that aren't really the issue here.
  • Agustino
    Almost no one would think to slap a guy's ass (ok, ok, I'm telling the wrong guy now, but on average!)Benkei
    Oh? One of my female teachers did that, and I was even underage back then.
  • Agustino
    It's not the slap that's the problem but the society that considers this acceptable. It shouldn't be. So it's all commentary on those social norms and the acts being an expression of that aren't really the issue here.Benkei
    Here's the deal - society is hypocritical. If grabbing isn't okay, then it should never be okay, not in some circumstances okay, and in others not okay. There are situations in society when such behaviours are even expected - and that's a problem when you're trying to say that society shouldn't consider it acceptable because you must also eliminate those situations. I mean, if you go in a nightclub in a developed country like the UK, I can guarantee you, 100%, that there will be a lot of unsolicited grabbing going around. What do you do about that? Because people even expect it to happen in such places.
  • Hanover
    Woman versus man physical aggression is less threatening than the opposite because the man wins that fight 99% of the time. The other 1% ends in a tie that must be decided by lot.
  • Buxtebuddha
    I doubt these me2-people are unable to tell the difference between rape and unwanted sexual advances.Benkei

Matt Damon would beg to differ, lol.
  • Akanthinos
    A feature of the #me2 movement is that they are unwilling to distinguish between a pat on a woman's derriere and rape. The former can not be worse than annoying,Bitter Crank

Jesus fucking Christ what the hell is wrong with you that you think this is an acceptable statement to ever make? Of course it could be worse than annoying.

For fuck's sake what the hell is wrong with this fucking planet that this is even in question?
  • TimeLine
    Can I not be a gentleman hedonist?Michael

This is oddly logical.
  • Benkei
    Here's the deal - society is hypocritical. If grabbing isn't okay, then it should never be okay, not in some circumstances okay, and in others not okay. There are situations in society when such behaviours are even expected - and that's a problem when you're trying to say that society shouldn't consider it acceptable because you must also eliminate those situations. I mean, if you go in a nightclub in a developed country like the UK, I can guarantee you, 100%, that there will be a lot of unsolicited grabbing going around. What do you do about that?Agustino

Currently a lot of people don't know what unwanted sexual advances are and I think the me2-movement is great for awareness, which is a start. The solution is really quite simple. You should pay attention to the person you're interested in and read their actions and hear their words. I've misread flirtation in the past but that became clear before I even touched her. It really isn't that hard and I'm not even good at reading people or moods. That fact makes the problem even more egregious as it takes very little effort to avoid this shit. It really boils down to respecting people instead of seeing them as objects to conquer or use.
  • Jamal
    The solution is really quite simple. You should pay attention to the person you're interested in and read their actions and hear their words. I've misread flirtation in the past but that became clear before I even touched her. It really isn't that hard and I'm not even good at reading people or moods. That fact makes the problem even more egregious as it takes very little effort to avoid this shit.Benkei

The problem with these sentiments, which I've seen all over the place recently, is that they don't take account of the richness of life. Thus they amount to an acceptance of new social restrictions surrounding sex, an impoverishment of sexual interaction and a degradation of individual autonomy, decades after the freedoms gained in the sexual liberation of the sixties.

Everyone is different, and even if you're good at reading signals, still sometimes it is hard to know if your advance will be welcome or not. Sometimes you do have to take risks.

It really boils down to respecting people instead of seeing them as objects to conquer or use.Benkei

But sometimes people want to be treated like that. Sometimes people want to be conquered and used. People play games. It's part of the fun, and inevitably it will often misfire. But it's ok to make a mistake; it becomes harassment only if you keep on doing it, and that's where respect comes in.
  • Michael
    Everyone is different, and even if you're good at reading signals, still sometimes it is hard to know if your advance will be welcome or not. Sometimes you do have to take risks.jamalrob

I think if your risky "advance" is some sort of sexual touching then you're doing it wrong. Is it so hard to ask/wait for verbal confirmation?
  • Benkei
    The problem with these sentiments, which I've seen all over the place recently, is that they don't take account of the richness of life. Thus they amount to an acceptance of new social restrictions surrounding sex, an impoverishment of sexual interaction and a degradation of individual autonomy, decades after the freedoms gained in the sexual liberation of the sixties.

Everyone is different, and even if you're good at reading signals, still sometimes it is hard to know if your advance will be welcome or not. Sometimes you do have to take risks.

But sometimes people want to be treated like that. Sometimes people want to be conquered and used. People play games. It's part of the fun, and inevitably it will often misfire. But it's ok to make a mistake; it becomes harassment only if you keep on doing it, and that's where respect comes in.[
    jamalrob

It is indeed and should be a social restriction on how a lot men behave towards women because women don't want to be treated that way. They can't be much clearer about that than they have been recently. That isn't a problem. That's a solution to the problem.

Can you perhaps give a clear example of what sort of behaviour you think men are afraid to show that will be a problematic restriction on sex, impoverishment of sexual interaction or degradation of autonomy? Just so we get a good idea because I might not be "manly" enough to think of it since I don't see whatever it is you seem to be alluding to.
  • Benkei
    This. Although one time I had sparks flying so hard after about 30 minutes that dinner was just an excuse to avoid kissing then and there. Good times. :D
  • Michael
    Because you're all dying to know, the (old) Way of Michael when at a club: if I see a girl I'm attracted to on the dance floor I don't just walk up to her and start groping or grinding against her. I look her in the eyes, smile, hold out my hand, and see if she takes it. No sexual harassment, no having to "read between the lines", no "impoverishment of sexual interaction and a degradation of individual autonomy".
  • Agustino
    It is indeed and should be a social restriction on how a lot men behave towards women because women don't want to be treated that way.Benkei
    Well, that's not true for all women. I mean, you'd be hardpressed to show that there are no women out there who like to be objectified for example. I've met some, and they will outright tell you that they have no problem with that, and they even desire it.

Now, obviously I disagree with such treatments of women for religious & moral reasons, but it doesn't mean that they're not present in society. Good luck trying to convince your average guy in the Western world not to pat a woman's bottom in what they take to be the "right" social settings.
  • Michael
    Well, that's not true for all women. I mean, you'd be hardpressed to show that there are no women out there who like to be objectified for example. I've met some, and they will outright tell you that they have no problem with that, and they even desire it.Agustino

Sure, and there are people out there who like BDSM. But you don't use that to try to justify acting on the assumption that maybe the person you're with likes that sort of thing.

Now, obviously I disagree with such treatments of women for religious & moral reasons, but it doesn't mean that they're not present in society.

That's what the #MeToo movement is drawing attention to.

Good luck trying to convince your average guy in the Western world not to pat a woman's bottom in what they take to be the "right" social settings.

That's what the #MeToo movement is trying to do. It might be futile (or it might not), but it's an admirable effort all the same.
  • Jamal
    I'm not sure I want to give you the example you're looking for, because I don't want to stray from my point, which is that all of this "it's really quite simple" stuff forecloses on the possibilities to the detriment of sexual interaction, and what we tolerate in terms of physical contact and flirtation differs from person to person. Your comments express a wish to impose a regime of flirtation that you believe is the only permissible one. I was pointing out that it's not always easy, and in some of those cases it is worth trying (for both parties, obviously).

Just so we get a good idea because I might not be "manly" enoughBenkei

Note that it's not really--or not only--about "manliness", because what I'm saying goes both ways.

So yeah, I admit I'm reluctant to give an example. You go first...

It is indeed and should be a social restriction on how a lot men behave towards women because women don't want to be treated that way. They can't be much clearer about that than they have been recently.Benkei

Treated what way? And who is "they"? All women? And note that I'm not arguing against the metoo movement as such, but with some of the attitudes that have come out of it, from some campaigners and commentators.
  • Jamal
    I think if your risky "advance" is some sort of sexual touching then you're doing it wrong. Is it so hard to ask/wait for verbal confirmation?Michael

I look her in the eyes, smile, hold out my hand, and see if she takes it.Michael

So, no verbal confirmation?
  • Michael
    Holding out my hand isn't a sexual touching "advance".
  • Jamal
    But you might follow it up with one. In fact it might be expected and desired. And still with no verbal confirmation. (I don't care if you wouldn't do it yourself; I'm pointing out that people and situations differ)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.